Poker Night for Mac fails to start; repeatedly quits

edited December 2010 in Game Support
I just installed Poker Night at the Inventory for the Mac via Steam. When I hit Play from within Steam:

1. I get a "Preparing to launch Poker Night at the Inventory" dialog for a split second then disappears
2. The poker chip dock icon appears for a split second then disappears
3. The dialog re-appears then disappears again
4. The poker chip dock icon re-appears and sticks around for a few seconds, and then:
return to step 1.

It just loops indefinitely, constantly trying to start the game but never succeeding.

I have a MacBook Pro from this year, with 2.66 GHz i7, running Mac OS X 10.6.5.

Anyone else seen this?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    ToastyKen wrote: »
    I just installed Poker Night at the Inventory for the Mac via Steam. When I hit Play from within Steam:

1. I get a "Preparing to launch Poker Night at the Inventory" dialog for a split second then disappears
    2. The poker chip dock icon appears for a split second then disappears
    3. The dialog re-appears then disappears again
    4. The poker chip dock icon re-appears and sticks around for a few seconds, and then:
    return to step 1.

It just loops indefinitely, constantly trying to start the game but never succeeding.

I have a MacBook Pro from this year, with 2.66 GHz i7, running Mac OS X 10.6.5.

Anyone else seen this?

Oh... have I ever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRYzXnfJ3Us.
    Mine is from 2006, 2.2 GHz, 10.5.8

I'm stuck house sitting and this was going to be keeping my sanity until Thanksgiving dinner.

Awesome QA.
  • edited November 2010
    Exact same issue here. 10.6.5, 2.5 GHz C2D, 8600M 512MB Only way to make it stop trying is to quit Steam.
  • edited November 2010
    I'm getting the same thing, and if I try to run the game directly it doesn't open. The only thing I could find was that the Console.app shows it exiting with 255.
  • edited November 2010
    This is because your Steam client is out of date, and for some reason it doesn't automatically update. Try updating your Steam client and try again.
  • edited November 2010
    This is because your Steam client is out of date, and for some reason it doesn't automatically update. Try updating your Steam client and try again.

Done and... still crashes.

I'd capture a video of it, but the video stream just shows black screen with cursor until I force close.

What I see, though, is the menu overlay with a cursor I can't move.
  • edited November 2010
    I can also verify that none of the following works:

- Editing Launch Options to default (acutally launch options don't work period, regardless of settings used).

- Running run.sh from the terminal, again no launch flags work.

- Removing all local files and letting the game rebuild.

- Re-installing.
  • edited November 2010
    Updating Steam fixed it for me.
  • edited November 2010
    I have the same issue. Steam is up to date, I've reinstalled an all that, restarted, whatnot. It starts to start and just stops right away.
  • edited November 2010

That fixed it for me! Once I checked for Steam updates and updated it, it worked. :) Thanks!
  • edited November 2010
    Having the exact same issue. Everything is fully up to date, tried restarting, reinstalling, etc. Nothing works - game simply does not work. Other Steam games work fine.

Running MBP 2.66 with 8GB memory.

Please fix this problem Telltale.
  • edited November 2010
    Btw, when I complained about this to Telltale, they asked me to complain to Steam support instead, so you probably want to go here instead, if updating Steam doesn't work: https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php
  • edited November 2010
    Does it crash or does it just show a black screen?

The black screen seems to be because the game is trying to run at a resolution the computer doesn't support and can be fixed by directly editing the preference file.
  • edited November 2010
    NotBlaine wrote: »
    Does it crash or does it just show a black screen?

The black screen seems to be because the game is trying to run at a resolution the computer doesn't support and can be fixed by directly editing the preference file.

It's the problem where it immediately crashes (won't start) - poker chip will quickly show in the dock, then nothing.

I'm fairly certain I have done everything suggested in various forums, including re-installing and wiping multiple times. But if you have a step-by-step that you are pretty sure should work then I am happy to follow it verbatim and try again.
  • edited November 2010
    FYI - I completely deleted and re-installed Steam. Upon re-installing Poker at that point, it seems to work fine.

So for anybody still having this problem, the "nuclear" option works.
  • edited December 2010

Thanks. That did the trick.
  • edited December 2010
    updated steam, still doing the same thing as with everyone else. 2.33 c2d macbook pro, ati x1600.
This discussion has been closed.