Sam & Max Games and Vista - crash with error message

edited February 2007 in Game Support
I've just installed Sam'n'max ep 3 under Vista, and all i get is this error in the eventlog when i start it:
Fehlerhafte Anwendung Sam and Max - The Mole, The Mob and the Meatball.exe, Version 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel 0x45c3f479, fehlerhaftes Modul unknown, Version 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel 0x00000000, Ausnahmecode 0xc0000096, Fehleroffset 0x001734d9, Prozess-ID 0xe14, Anwendungsstartzeit 01c74c183c3d34de.

Even running as Administrator didnt help.
System: Vista Business 32Bit, Geforce 6600GT, 1024MB RAM

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2007
    When exactly do you get the error message?

I'm wondering if it's the same as the access violation problem we're working on. (Hard to tell with the error message in German!)
  • edited February 2007
    I get this message as soon as i start it. it doesnt even show the launcher, no window just the error message.

The message doesnt mention an access violation... The Eventlog entry basicly lust lists timestamp, Error offset ("Fehleroffset"), Exeption ("Ausnahmecode")...
    it just says "faulty application" ("Fehlerhafte Anwendung").
  • edited February 2007
    Yes, I know you don't support Vista yet. But maybe there is a chance you can still help me soon...

I have ordered the whole season a few months ago when I was still on WinXP. I played the first two episodes without any problem, but a week ago, I switched to Vista Ultimate 64 (i.e. clean install, no upgrade), downloaded and installed the third episode, and it crashed.

I reinstalled the first two episodes, but they crash as well. The error message is in english, but I'm trying to translate it as good as possible:

"Sam & Max - the mole, the mob and the meatball doesn't work anymore. The program isn't executed because of an error. The program will be closed, and you will get informed when a solution is available."

Well, I know this is not very helpful, but what could it be? During the installation, I haven't seen any attempt to activate the software, maybe this is the same issue with the activation software you see a lot in this forum. If you have any guess what I should try, I'll gladly do it.
    edited February 2007
    Thank you for posting about this. That sounds to me like one of those generic Windows messages that are oh so helpful. :p

We haven't experienced any problems like this so far, but we'll keep an eye out for it.
  • edited February 2007
    btw: thats the same thing i've got (see here: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20380&postcount=5 )
    edited February 2007
    Mat - I just moved your posts about this error into this thread, so we can keep them all together.

Monger - are you German also? Makes me wonder if this is specific to the German version of Vista, or maybe it's just a coincidence...
  • edited February 2007
    i've found the reason for my error!

disable DAP (the hardware NX support) for Sam'n'max and it works!

(for some reason DAP and Sam'n'Max worked fine on XP, but not on Vista)

Edit: tested with Ep2 and 3... seams to work fine now
  • edited February 2007
    mat79 wrote: »
    i've found the reason for my error!

disable DAP (the hardware NX support) for Sam'n'max and it works!

(for some reason DAP and Sam'n'Max worked fine on XP, but not on Vista)

Edit: tested with Ep2 and 3... seams to work fine now

Yay, it works for me, too! :D Thank you!

Btw. this fixed also an issue with 1701 A.D. , which crashed in the same way when the copy protection went checking the disc. And it seems to me that Sam & Max crashed at the same moment, when they should get activated.

Seems like DAP successfully blocks all copy protection systems! ;)

Edit: just for info: for some reason, the Sam & Max games created a new "Desktop" Folder and inserted their links in there, instead of copying them into the real desktop folder. I guess that the setup relies on a static path for the desktop that just doesn't exist in Vista anymore.

It's really just a minor glitch, but maybe you can mention this to the setup team for further releases.
    edited February 2007
    Thank you for the information. I'm really glad it was such a simple fix!

Excuse my ignorance, but what is DAP?
  • edited February 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    Thank you for the information. I'm really glad it was such a simple fix!

Excuse my ignorance, but what is DAP?

Erm... In english it is called DEP (Data execution prevention). Two Minutes ago I only knew the german word, and assumed that mat79 knew the right translation. :o

And as you most probably know, DEP shall prevent buffer overflow attacks by seperating code execution memory from data storage memory, and is only enabled by default for all microsoft products. Unfortunately, really a lot of 3rd party software crashes when DEP is enabled, although it really sounds like a great idea...
  • edited February 2007
    I am having the Episode 3 slow down performance problem you all are having. I have. Episode 1 & 2 ran super smooth, and Episode 3 does not.

How do I disable DEP? It seems to me that this is a 64bit OS thing. I am using Windows XP64 Pro. All I understand of DEP is that it works in a 64 bit environment.

System:
    AMD 64 3500+ (939 winchester)
    2 Gigs RAM (corsair value)
    BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra
    Running Windows XP 64 Pro
  • edited February 2007
    Roft wrote: »
    How do I disable DEP? It seems to me that this is a 64bit OS thing. I am using Windows XP64 Pro. All I understand of DEP is that it works in a 64 bit environment.
    It is absolutely not a 64Bit exklusive thing, and as I saw yesterday, I also have the performance problem. So probably this won't help you at all.

To deactivate DEP, go to:

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced (or extended, don't remember the translation) -> Performance -> Settings -> Data execution prevention -> set to "activate DEP only for windows programs and related services".
  • edited February 2007
    yep, meant DEP, not DAP.
    Control Panel -> System -> Advanced (or extended, don't remember the translation) -> Performance -> Settings -> Data execution prevention -> set to "activate DEP only for windows programs and related services".

better solution: leave it enabled, and only disable it for the apps that have issues with it.
This discussion has been closed.