Poker Night Patch Update

edited December 2010 in Game Support
First I'd like to thank everyone who provided information about issues with Poker Night. We now have enough information to fix the cause of most of these issues, but it will take until next week to complete a patch.

Segment Next has com compiled a great list of temporary fixes that may work for some of you until the patch comes out next week:
http://segmentnext.com/2010/11/23/poker-night-at-inventory-errors-crashes-freezes-and-fixes/

Thank you so much for your patience and being part of the Telltale community.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Thanks for keeping us informed. Keep up the good work.
    *hopes to be able to play soon*
  • edited November 2010
    Thanks. I look forward to enjoying the game.
  • edited November 2010
    I dont use steam, and have a wide screen monitor that supports the resolution but stretches it.

How can i fix this outside of steam?

argh.. all black and no game makes kal a dull boy

(tried to do it manually but this video onboard card has NO options just forcing aspect ratio) which is not needed here.
  • edited November 2010
    Kaldire wrote: »
    I dont use steam, and have a wide screen monitor that supports the resolution but stretches it.

How can i fix this outside of steam?

argh.. all black and no game makes kal a dull boy

(tried to do it manually but this video onboard card has NO options just forcing aspect ratio) which is not needed here.

Find prefs.prop.

Get a Hex editor (they're free and not complicated to use).

You're going to edit two strings.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15758

https://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20689
  • edited November 2010
    Well i definitely appreciate you telling us this and really hope it fixes the black screen/crash for us dx8 card ppl
  • edited November 2010
    None of the solutions here fixes my slow cursor (not especially low framerate) and menu. I can't even try raising my game resolution higher than 800x600, since THEN I encounter a big framerate issue and sadly forcing antialiasing on my Ati Control Panel doesn't do jack.
  • edited November 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    None of the solutions here fixes my slow cursor (not especially low framerate) and menu. I can't even try raising my game resolution higher than 800x600, since THEN I encounter a big framerate issue and sadly forcing antialiasing on my Ati Control Panel doesn't do jack.

don't no if that was a typo or not but you force it off not on and its force the slow mouse fix i thank
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Falanca wrote: »

If you can live with not seeing tycho, you can try the "force max. pixel shader version 1.4" option in 3DAnalyze as a trade-off workaround.
    It can give a significant performance boost.
  • edited November 2010
    I'll try it sometime later.

Oh and fixing the resolution to my native one also doesn't solve the issue about menu.
  • edited November 2010
    Thanks for the news. I wish that link gave a way to fix the black screen for those who aren't using Steam, though.
  • edited November 2010
    Great news. I hope the patch travels through steam system ok, i don't remember any of telltale games on steam being patched before. i might be wrong.
  • edited November 2010
    DukeBG wrote: »
    Great news. I hope the patch travels through steam system ok, i don't remember any of telltale games on steam being patched before. i might be wrong.
    It's not that. I don't remember any of Telltale's games being patched, period, and I've been here a while. That does mean I welcome this new development and hope more patches happen in the future where needed.
  • edited November 2010
    DukeBG wrote: »

some of the Wallace & Grommit episodes seemed to have patches.
  • edited November 2010
    Season 3 could have definitely used some. ToMI too actually.
    Actually, they did patch 102 and 104 of ToMI due to issues, but I didn't buy that series until after everything was finished.
  • edited November 2010
    NotBlaine wrote: »
    Find prefs.prop.

Get a Hex editor (they're free and not complicated to use).

You're going to edit two strings.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15758

https://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20689

Cheers!

worked like a charm, why didnt I think of it!
    prefs.prop doh!

bows to you!

also sorry telltale this was rushed! Bad that a patch is needed this direly for the game! Good thing its only 5$ :P
    I can work with any buggy game for that!

as for cursor glitches, I fixed one by forcing hz to 60 even if your monitor does like 70 or 75 or you use a tv or something.
    also some wide screen monitors ive tested didnt fair to well with lags. While the standard monitors did.

Hope this helps someone! As someone helped me.
    This game rocks, and its really fun, even buggy! Id love to see more.
    (I can picture some of the cats n dogs at telltale actually playing poker after a hard session) wonder if thats where the idea came from

maybe it was just a revise of texas holdem... idk
    which has sold more? just curious
  • edited November 2010
    Will this patch include a fix for the Mac problem where the game won't start? The linked list of workarounds does not include that one, because nobody seems to have found one yet.
  • edited November 2010
    cq888 wrote: »
    Will this patch include a fix for the Mac problem where the game won't start? The linked list of workarounds does not include that one, because nobody seems to have found one yet.

Which problem do you have? I've had a solution for all the ones I've heard of.

If it opens and crashes, opens and crashes in a loop, you need to delete the local content. Update Steam. Redownload and launch.

If it's the black screen after the TTG logo, you need to change the game to windowed mode with a low resolution. To get past the TTG logo, you'll have to do the hex editing I mentioned in my earlier post. Find out what the native resolution for your Mac is (if it's a laptop, it's the highest res setting you're given. Mine is 1280x800). Edit your pref.props so it'll display at that res (or if it's 1280x800, just download the pref file I uploaded). Get the game open, then set the game to run windowed mode, low resolution.

If it's something else, let me know what it is and I'll see if I can figure it out.

What I really want them to fix is teaching the game the rules of poker. That'd be nice.
  • edited November 2010
    If it opens and crashes, opens and crashes in a loop, you need to delete the local content. Update Steam. Redownload and launch.

This problem.

Which local content are you referring to? Steam in its entirety or just Poker? I've wiped and re-installed Poker 3 times now. Steam is fully up to date.
  • edited November 2010
    Which problem do you have? I've had a solution for all the ones I've heard of.

If it's the black screen after the TTG logo, you need to change the game to windowed mode with a low resolution. To get past the TTG logo, you'll have to do the hex editing I mentioned in my earlier post. Find out what the native resolution for your Mac is (if it's a laptop, it's the highest res setting you're given. Mine is 1280x800). Edit your pref.props so it'll display at that res (or if it's 1280x800, just download the pref file I uploaded). Get the game open, then set the game to run windowed mode, low resolution.

If it's something else, let me know what it is and I'll see if I can figure it out.

What I really want them to fix is teaching the game the rules of poker. That'd be nice.

Don't thank you can find a fix for it but try if you must

no back ground on main menu and when you hit play all you see is the subs/hear them talking until the game is about to play aka we throw in are money then it will crash now forcing the game into shader 1.4 fixes the no back ground / see the game but the crash is still there

good luck i tryed every thing i could thank of lol
  • edited November 2010
    Amy Lukima wrote: »
    First I'd like to thank everyone who provided information about issues with Poker Night. We now have enough information to fix the cause of most of these issues, but it will take until next week to complete a patch.

Segment Next has com compiled a great list of temporary fixes that may work for some of you until the patch comes out next week:
    http://segmentnext.com/2010/11/23/poker-night-at-inventory-errors-crashes-freezes-and-fixes/

I had given a try on this before, didnt worked for me and my black screen, but thanks for the atentions.
  • edited November 2010
    THANK YOU TELLTALE! I hope you guys fix my SLLLLLOOOOOOWWWW-MOOOOO game!
  • edited November 2010
    valkysas wrote: »
    Don't thank you can find a fix for it but try if you must

no back ground on main menu and when you hit play all you see is the subs/hear them talking until the game is about to play aka we throw in are money then it will crash now forcing the game into shader 1.4 fixes the no back ground / see the game but the crash is still there

good luck i tryed every thing i could thank of lol

why does everyone assume people use steam

HISSSSSSS
    if I could Id make all my games NON steam... but sadly some require it
    see mafia II for details

Until the patch is out, please list the MONITOR size you are using, as well as resolution and frequency aka hz/refresh rate

cap it at 60.. again this helped as well as hex editing the code but, some dont know how..and its understandable.

I wish there were many more options in the game like, start new hand, instead of QUIT, load the game... and ooo you are back at the table... DOO DOO!!

sometimes I want the rare items and have to lose quickly until one pops up.
    odd other glitches are around but none are game stoppers.

its far more fun than ANY CSI game... zzzz lol

cant wait for the patch, and this is why i didnt get w&g to many problems with walking around and crashing.
    (think its the only telltale game I havent got)

anyone need more help post here or PM
    90% of the answer is the monitor mixed with the resolution settings.
    Simple, so simple makes ya wonder how it was overlooked.

Same issue on flash based online games and widescreen... some HATE it and wont work.. some detect and force a window mode, the size of a standard monitor.

The patch will prolly include something as such.

now when do we see more characters, one thing thats VERY annoying is hearing repeat dialog over and over and over.
    (yes i know you can disable it) but how many words and phrases are truly there? I could think up dozens more.. meh

again 5$ still well spent! in my humble opinion.
  • edited November 2010
    Thanks for the update. Really appreciate the hard work put into this.
  • edited November 2010
    @ Kaldire: I tried 75hz on 1280x768 (windowed) and 1440x900 (full-screen) with a screen that has native 1440x900 (19" widescreen), no issues.

So that's not it...
  • TEiTEi
    edited November 2010
    Amy Lukima wrote: »

Cheers! Looking forward to the patch. Thanks for keeping us in the know. :)
  • edited November 2010
    @ Kaldire: I tried 75hz on 1280x768 (windowed) and 1440x900 (full-screen) with a screen that has native 1440x900 (19" widescreen), no issues.

So that's not it...

@Hassat Hunter
    it IS the issue mate !!

just some don't have issues, some do
    I'm guessing you don't run on-board video cards etc.(state your name rank and serial ahem .. (video card and monitor!)

most that have the issue have a wide-screen or odd res AND on-board intel or such
    trust me its how I FIXED two machines with it.. so I know its the cause.

just because you dont catch a cold, doesnt mean everyone around you isnt sick. Me nurse at school used to say.
    odd so did my network teacher..about viruses... lol

cheers that you have no issues!!
  • edited November 2010
    Lucky bastards.

I'm fairly certain that my native resolution is simply too awesome for PN@tI to handle. Why else would trying to switch the in-game resolution to my native resolution cause the game to crash and become totally unlaunchable (through steam or otherwise)?

I've tried launching in offline mode, online mode, and from celebritypoker.exe. I've deleted perfs.prop many times, verified/defragged cache many times, deleted and redownloaded random bits many times, deleted and redownloaded entirely twice (the second time after searching my HDD for anything possibly related to Poker Night and deleting it), I even tried using that telltale resolution switcher-- didn't work. Apparently, my perfs.prop doesn't even have resolution data in it. I've redownloaded and deleted and repaired the C++ stuff three or four times. I've dug through and tried every single goddamn fix I've seen people mention for any problems whatsoever and nothing has worked.

I was out of town (and voluntarily without internet) from Tuesday last until 11:30 PM Sunday when I got home, and no fix.

Broskies, I sad.

I.
    Really.
    Sad.
  • edited November 2010
    did you try the hex editor? its the thing that worked for me

also you didnt list monitor or video card..
    assuming you have wide screen or something..

anyway fix IS on its way so no worries, for now just sit back relax and enjoy the melody
    (plays something from sam & max soundtrack)

let me know your specs i bet we can get you running
    also if you are on steam, id suggest not using it but.. again im anti steam.
  • edited November 2010
    did you try the hex editor? its the thing that worked for me

also you didnt list monitor or video card..
    assuming you have wide screen or something..

anyway fix IS on its way so no worries, for now just sit back relax and enjoy the melody
    (plays something from sam & max soundtrack)

let me know your specs i bet we can get you running
    also if you are on steam, id suggest not using it but.. again im anti steam.

I've tried the hex editor. There's no data in the perfs.prop file that has resolution info. The TellTale resolution mentioned elsewhere in this forum can't detect it, and opening it up with a generic hex editor revealed it contained no values that could be interpreted by a human as a resolution.

I've got it on steam, and that isn't and shouldn't be a problem.

My monitor is a Dell 3008 WFP.

The actual amount of RAM in there is 4 gigabytes, but you and I both know how XP and excess ram (don't) work with each other.
    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 11/30/2010, 00:38:54
           Machine name: ATHENA
       Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636)
               Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
           System Model: MS-7388
                   BIOS: Default System BIOS
              Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor,  MMX,  3DNow (6 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
                 Memory: 3072MB RAM
              Page File: 1414MB used, 3542MB available
            Windows Dir: G:\WINDOWS
        DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
      DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
          Display Tab 1: No problems found.
            Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
              Music Tab: No problems found.
              Input Tab: No problems found.
            Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
    DirectX Debug Levels
    --------------------
    Direct3D:    0/4 (n/a)
    DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
    DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
            Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 
         Manufacturer: NVIDIA
            Chip type: GeForce 9800 GT
             DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
           Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0605&SUBSYS_23721682&REV_A2
       Display Memory: 512.0 MB
         Current Mode: 2560 x 1600 (32 bit) (60Hz)
              Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
      Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
          Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
       Driver Version: 6.14.0012.6099 (English)
          DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
     Driver Date/Size: 10/16/2010 10:55:00, 6359552 bytes
          WHQL Logo'd: Yes
      WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
                  VDD: n/a
             Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
        Mini VDD Date: 10/16/2010 10:55:00, 9623680 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4545-11CF-E162-7E0303C2CB35}
            Vendor ID: 0x10DE
            Device ID: 0x0605
            SubSys ID: 0x23721682
          Revision ID: 0x00A2
          Revision ID: 0x00A2
          Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D 
     Deinterlace Caps: {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive 
                       {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch 
                       {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive 
                       {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch 
                       {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive 
                       {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch 
                       {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive 
                       {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch 
             Registry: OK
         DDraw Status: Enabled
           D3D Status: Enabled
           AGP Status: Enabled
    DDraw Test Result: Not run
     D3D7 Test Result: Not run
     D3D8 Test Result: Not run
     D3D9 Test Result: Not run

• edited November 2010
    Well, your PC certainly looks capable. But since I don't recall the entire forum what was your issue again? If it crashes at your native, try something lower, although width the same width/height ratio?
    Also, trying to run it on less cores than 6 (that's new for me, I knew 2, 4 and 8, never heard of 6 before)...

@ Kaldire; GeForce 6600GT, AMD Athon 64+ 3200 (single core, yup), Hannspree 19" widescreen (1440x900).
  • edited November 2010
    lol why you listed full specs ill never know mate..
    No clue why you would need to mention having 4gb and wasting it to xp (i prefer xp but why 4 gb?) lol 6 cores? yeaaa for poker, you are really flying weeww!
    no clue why the need to list such things, but ive said that already..
    im lost at why
    we dont need to know ram unless you are less than like 256-512mb..
    :P

both have widescreen monitors.. this is the issue..as is pointed out by the FIRST post from telltale it IS the issue.. well res/monitors/hz etc..
    tada..

ive tested this on about 22 machines now with 11 monitors,
    3 of the widescreens worked but only on 2 of the 22 machines...
    all with different video cards.

when I open the file it is full of stuff.. so no clue there mate its the only thing that fixed my monitor issue.
    there are other programs that can force resolutions your monitor cant do.
    even if it says its at 1024x768 in game its not.. and tada.. dumpo

when you run in steam, the cloud holds most of the data, again another reason to try the non steam version.. see if it works..
    10-1 it will at least have substance in the file listed.

hassat did you try anything to force you monitor to a res?
    this will make the sides BLACK... not fake res..and stretch but BLACK....

try riva tuner, older version if you have older os and card :P
    new if you want new..
    doesnt work with like most standard say intel onboards etc..
    BE WARNED its a tweak
  • edited November 2010
    lol why you listed full specs ill never know mate..
    No clue why you would need to mention having 4gb and wasting it to xp (i prefer xp but why 4 gb?)

Because XP with 4GB ist still faster than Vista/7 with 4GB.
  • edited November 2010
    Well, your PC certainly looks capable. But since I don't recall the entire forum what was your issue again? If it crashes at your native, try something lower, although width the same width/height ratio?
    Also, trying to run it on less cores than 6 (that's new for me, I knew 2, 4 and 8, never heard of 6 before)...

My issue is that the game will not boot. It doesn't stick in memory for more than a second. It'll start and then die/get killed/crash/take its own life almost instantly. Furthermore, because I can't get it to boot and the perfs.prop file has no resolution information, I can't choose a different resolution for the game.
    when you run in steam, the cloud holds most of the data, again another reason to try the non steam version.. see if it works..
    10-1 it will at least have substance in the file listed.

Normally I would agree with you. However, Steam has a policy of making that an option for users. On any game that stores config info, savegames, progress, etc in the steam cloud is an option in the properties window to turn this function off. Poker Night's properties window mentions nothing about steam cloud. I've also put steam into offline mode, turned off my internet connection, deleted perfs. prop and tried launching the game-- didn't work.

One of the reasons I'm truly frustrated with Poker Night is that I seem unable to force clean slate. I've done everything I could to force a clean slate state and nothing has worked.
  • edited November 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    Because XP with 4GB ist still faster than Vista/7 with 4GB.

Lol that was not my point :P
    just why list the specs? that was the point.
    Id agree on vista/7 esp vista HISS.. my fav os is still 98se and XP pro sp2 :P
    so im with ya on that

As for STEAM, there are MANY games that REQUIRE you to use STEAM or your stats and such will never update.. leaderboards etc..

you disable the cloud and some games wont even give you the rewards (pointless but fun to obtain)

So your game doesnt even boot?! oh well thats a huge issue, mine had sound and the menu but when I started it was just black with sound of the elevator...

im stumped scorch!
    I hate to say this but..
    HAVE you tried the TTG version just to SEE?
    might sound dumb but in the realm of computers, sometimes I think they hear us and wont work just out of spite!

waves fist in air at tech demi god
  • edited November 2010
    just glancing at the topics I first read this as "nude patch" LOL Strip poker at the inventory..... feel free NOT to photoshop that.
  • edited November 2010
    hey id love to see some mock of that

Max... this isnt strip poker! from strongbad
    oh this? I wear nothing 8 days a week! .. lol

scorch, pm me! lets try to work this out! orrr
    wait for the patch..

I love to help but most times I get caught up in the moment and most misunderstand my factoids as hatred or such. IE.. pointing out that it was pointless to state you had 4gb ram, wasnt meant to harm just seemed, redundant as this isnt a ram issue.

not even loading, is NOT the same error most have hmm ill work on this more but seems it might be fixed properly before the side fixes.

cheers to the patient!
    wish I could help

anyone try that rivatuner or such I recommended? it helped when flash based games started giving me issues online for a while.
  • edited November 2010
    The truly bizarre thing is that I tried it again this afternoon, killed the "Launching Poker Night" window, tried again, AND IT WORKED!

Granted, it's windowed, and I can't seem to change that or change the resolution (without a crash), but the game actually loads and plays now.
  • edited November 2010
    see its about the stretch somehow..

niiice.. see what I mean about computers being like alive and hearing ya?
    sorta like cars

shhhh betsy might stop working at any moment!

lol
    grats mate!
  • edited December 2010
    ARGLEBARGLE

Went to start Poker Night to burn twenty minutes just now, and my problem is back...

:sadface:

At least I got all the poker night items. Anxiously awaiting a steam patch here...
  • edited December 2010
    ARGLEBARGLE

Went to start Poker Night to burn twenty minutes just now, and my problem is back...

:sadface:

At least I got all the poker night items. Anxiously awaiting a steam patch here...

Hmmm seems you care about the items yet afterward you still want to play the game. Good most new users just flat out want the items and hate telltale for it.
This discussion has been closed.