Sam & Max Episode 203 Continually fails after launch.

edited November 2010 in Game Support
Hey guys,

I am currently having issues launching Sam & Max Episode 203 I have been able to play it no problem up to 3 days ago. I can launch the program and load saves no problem, FPS is solid. About 30 seconds to 1 min after launching the game, even if I do not load a save I will have a popup from windows saying the program isnt working and its trying to resolve the issue. It doesn't and tells me to close it.

I have tried running as admin and basic troubleshooting but nothing has worked thus far. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit:

Shouldnt have any problems running it, OS is Windows 7
21901071.png[/URL]

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2010
    A dxdiag log could be useful.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited November 2010
    Done :)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Looks fine so far. Does it work during a clean boot?

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited November 2010
    Done, still not working :/ is it possible to reinstall the game and the activation code to still work? The game was purchased via TTG website.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2010
    is it possible to reinstall the game and the activation code to still work?

Using the serial number or TTG Login you can activate the game plenty of times.

You should at best do a fresh download, in case the installer files was corrupted the last time.
  • edited November 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Using the serial number or TTG Login you can activate the game plenty of times.

You should at best do a fresh download, in case the installer files was corrupted the last time.

I will go ahead and do that now and will report back when I am done, thanks for the help!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Here's a checksum in case you want something to compare against:
    File: SamAndMax203_NightoftheRavingDead_Setup_1.0.3.9.exe
    CRC-32: 3176d43a
    MD4: 5b912c01c6b129ea7e0150c711272b72
    MD5: 5e577be6623b738b41eaf796bcf79ea1
    SHA-1: 186213fd13fafdf82939fa1d8db7db2f43d71339
  • edited November 2010
    Uninstalled and reinstalled (backing up my save files)

Still going wrong.
    grrrh.png

Does the same thing if windowed or if fullscreen I think my OS is messing with it because the game doesn't seem to be going wrong until the OS steps in and says it is. hmm

My OS is working fine in every other respect though and I cannot reinstall that for odvious reasons.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2010
    That's odd. Have you tried deleting the prefs.prop?
  • edited November 2010
    Just deleted it, tried again and still the same error. No idea what could be causing this :/.

EDIT:

I am going to try and run the episodes that I purchased via steam and see if they work okay, will report back with info.

Ones on steam are working fine aswell as Pokernight.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2010
    According to this thread it should work on Windows 7.
    In a quick test it does run on my Win7 64 without any special settings. Though it always crashes on close for some reason.
    It doesn't crash though if i start it in "Windows XP SP3 Compatibility mode". Have you tried that one?
  • edited November 2010
    Doing this now

May not be relevent but when I start the game the launch window wont display the "on the forums" and Comic tabs just says there is no connection or a problem with the connection, has always done this though.

EDIT: Done and still not working.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2010
    I am running out of ideas for now.

If you want to try a workaround to at least get through the episode, you can install a basic windows in vmware player and play the game that way.
  • edited November 2010
    Something like that happened to my friend with episode 303, and the cause was faulty download. But he was unsure since he downloaded the episode setup and installed the game many times (not to mention tried to find the solution in reinstalling many video drivers or trying all compatibility modes). Turns out it was the cache; always causing the computer to pair up and compare the setup file with the one in the cache while downloading. After erasing the cache and browsing history, then downloading and installing the game worked for him. Alternatively you can download the episode from another computer and transfer it using a memory disk or something.

Hope that one helps o_ô
  • edited November 2010
    Okay I have cleared my cache, all cookies, browsing history and error reports and pretty much everything that is taking up unneccesery space on my HDD.

Reinstalling now.

Edit: Same error message, damn. I hope it comes up for sale on steam soon if it does I will just buy it on there.

Willing to try any more solutions people may have but its looking pretty hopeless at this point. :/
  • edited November 2010
    Sorry to bump my post up, has anybody else got anything I can try?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Did you compare one of the checksums yet, so we can at least be 100% sure it's not a corrupt installer?
    You can get these e.g. with Hashcheck by right clicking the file and selecting "properties/checksums.
This discussion has been closed.