Sam & Max 101 Demo Issue

edited December 2010 in Game Support
After playing Poker Night at the Inventory, I was curious about this game series, and I wanted to try it out. I have only looked into the game and the community recently, so I apoligize if there is already a thread for this or something of the like, but I could not find it.

In order to try out the game, I downloaded the Season 1 Ep 1 demo on the official website, but when I run it, all I get is a screen witht he title telltale games, with the centre completely white except for a text box for some serial number, and a submit query button.

I'm not sure if I missed some part of the process of getting a demo where I'm supposed to get a serial, but I have no clue what to do. I looked around and I couldn't find any help or guides towards getting the demo to work.

Can anyone help me? This game seems fun, and I'd really like to try it out.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2010
    The old games launchers depend on Internet Explorer. What version of Internet Explorer is installed on your system? Often updating it helps in these cases.

If it's not that simple, please post a dxdiag log.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited December 2010
    I'm using IE8, and it's up to date.

And as for the DxDiag, here ya go!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Some technical background information first: The old launcher downloads some files to your %temp% directory, and displays them using ieframe.dll.
    So some things that can go wrong are that the download is somehow blocked, or that the ieframe.dll has changed it's rendering behavior due to the Internet Explorer version.

I would start with trying to launch the demo during a clean boot (see below).
    I would also try to launch the Sam & Max 102 demo for comparison. In case it starts, press Alt-Enter to switch to windowed mode, so you can close it.

Another thing i would do in general is updating your system.
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.100608-0458)
    Let's start with installing Vista SP2. I would also install other updates using the windows update mechanism.
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GE
    Driver Date/Size: 7/14/2009 13:54:00, 9375232 bytes

Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    Date and Size: 3/26/2008 13:36:28, 1417240 bytes

Updating your drivers is also a good idea. Here you can get the latest Graphics driver and Sound driver for your system.
    Also run the DirectX updater.

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited December 2010
    That's one hell of a reply, but a clean boot did nothing. If it helps, I'll include a picture of what's happeneing.

Untitled.jpg

As for the updating, I doubt that it will help fix the launcher, although I'll get to it anyways since it couldn't hurt.
This discussion has been closed.