Original Idea for "The City that Dares Not Sleep"?

edited December 2010 in Sam & Max
Howdy there, everyone. While browsing through the speech files of "The City that Dares Not Sleep," I noticed several lines of dialog recorded for The Narrator that have to do with music. For example:

"But this story is told not with words, but with music. A freeform jazz odyssey, if you will, to the borders of human imagination, held up briefly at the customs of rational thought, and non-stop to the realms of infinite power on the far side of the mind."
"You'll know it's time to change the track when you hear Max's psychic gifts resonate like this:"
"Use this brief intermission to gather what's left of your senses. When you're ready, place Side B of this record onto your hi-fidelity turntable, and prepare yourself for a SECOND assault on everything you once believed to be true."

etc.

Jake, on the Freelance Police Dispatch forum, said the following:

"There are some music related moments, but no singing."

Does this mean that 305 was originally meant to be some sort of music-type episode, and something was changed late in development? Or am I just making random connections?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    I think the jukebox in Max's brain originally intented to have more purpose than just playing through records to make Max cry. It also felt like it while I was playing it. Whatever it is, the original intentions sound kinda inventive, too bad we couldn't get it.
  • edited December 2010
    First nutrispecs, now this... how come cool stuff gets cut out of the game?
  • edited December 2010
    Hey, the Nutrispecs are totally present in the final release of the game. They just have an external unlock condition that was never implemented.
  • edited December 2010
    Hey, the Nutrispecs are totally present in the final release of the game. They just have an external unlock condition that was never implemented.
    And likely never will be.

At any rate, I am curious to know what was originally planned with this flip-the-record idea for 305.
  • edited December 2010
    ATMachine wrote: »
    At any rate, I am curious to know what was originally planned with this flip-the-record idea for 305.

And now, we hand over the mic to Jake.
  • edited December 2010
    More music lines:

"But for now, sit back, relax, and let the music take you on a journey. Your ticket has been torn, there's a concession booth up ahead. You've just taken your seat in? The Devil's Playhouse!"

"But for the children who believe in the power of music, the children who cry out for justice in the face of petty crime and super-villainy, the children whose parents really love them, the SPIRIT of Sam & Max can never die."

Curiouser and curiouser....
  • edited December 2010
    I feel like Narrator wasn't actually there for representing Max's superego after all, it more feels like he was also going to narrate the ending of the season.
  • edited December 2010
    More music lines:

"But for now, sit back, relax, and let the music take you on a journey. Your ticket has been torn, there's a concession booth up ahead. You've just taken your seat in? The Devil's Playhouse!"

"But for the children who believe in the power of music, the children who cry out for justice in the face of petty crime and super-villainy, the children whose parents really love them, the SPIRIT of Sam & Max can never die."

Curiouser and curiouser....

Would this mean that, originally, both Sam AND Max were going to die?

Incidentally, I went through the files in "They Stole Max's Brain." Turns out Enigma Deodorant was originally far more important to the story line originally...
  • edited December 2010
    This may sound stupid but where can you find the sound files?
  • edited December 2010
    ATMachine wrote: »
    And likely never will be.

I had a feeling Captain Optimism would show up in this thread.
  • edited December 2010

Now that's even better that the Devis's Playhouse line in the actual game!
  • edited December 2010

I was actually wondering the same thing, but I was scared to ask because I was afraid of sounding dumb. Stupid technology people, with their computer magic and their "sound files" and regular "files," grumble grumble...with us normal folk having no idea what their talking about and wondering where the hell they're getting this stuff...kids these days, etc. etc. etc.
  • edited December 2010
    Player_2 wrote: »
    I was actually wondering the same thing, but I was scared to ask because I was afraid of sounding dumb. Stupid technology people, with their computer magic and their "sound files" and regular "files," grumble grumble...with us normal folk having no idea what their talking about and wondering where the hell they're getting this stuff...kids these days, etc. etc. etc.

Google "Telltale Speech Extractor." It should be simple from there.
  • edited December 2010
    mathman77 wrote: »
    how come cool stuff gets cut out of the game?

Reminds me of Spore...
  • edited December 2010
    *cough* KOTOR2 *cough*
  • edited December 2010
    I had a feeling Captain Optimism would show up in this thread.

Hello, I'm Captain Obvious. Remember me?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2010
    Those are for something that's not the game. I'm sad that those shipped out with the game files! Closing this.
This discussion has been closed.