Is a 1993 deal possible?

edited December 2010 in Sam & Max
With "Mr. Pur.'s" permission, can some kind of legal/back-alley deal be reached with Lucas Arts to sell some kind of version of the original "Sam and Max Hit the Road?"
(EDIT: I am refering to a possible rerelease that works on Win7, perhaps not a version with modern graphics if that is decided by anybody to be going too far)

EDIT: P.S. If any Telltale people read this, could you please go on and send Mr. Purcell a memo regarding this "catch 22-triangle" of IP owner/game owner/contract holder. (at least it couldn't hurt)

If no action is taken by you, TTG, then chances seem slim:

1. It seems it is only possible if all 3 parties (the creator, the current contract holder - TTG, and Lucus Arts) agree to have a Special Edition exist.

2. I truly think Lucus Arts fears a possible lawsuit if the creator was not the one to suggest the Special Edition in the first place.

3. Lucas Arts already has proof that Hit the Road would sell again because of the obviously positive reation to TTG's Sam and Max projects.

So, TTG representives, any chance of Steve agreeing to a Special Edition "Peace Treaty" between everybody? :confused:

(I am sorry if this has been covered before, but I could not find any information on this subject.)

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Have you tried e-mailing the dude? That might work.
  • edited December 2010
    in reply to lattsam:
    If there was an interesting response, I thought the other fans on this website would be interested.
  • edited December 2010
    I don't see how a special edition is really necessary. The graphics and voices of Hit the Road have held out pretty well over the years, unlike those of the two Monkey Islands that got special edition treatment.
  • edited December 2010
    A special edition of Sam and Max was brought up on these boards time to time, with leaving a considerable amount of users skeptical. Among other things (like how LucasArts have no rights to use anything related to Sam and Max), it's not such a good idea. Why? Because... well, adventure gaming has changed, Hit the Road's humor and gameplay wasn't so top-notch to begin with, it had experimental intentions behind it which led to the production of other titles -which are TOTALLY better.

TL;DR, the game doesn't need and/or deserve that much consideration and effort.
  • edited December 2010
    It would be awesome if they did what they did with Monkey Island 2:Special Edition.
  • edited December 2010
    I want a Special Edition because:
    1. The original game cds are hard to find and need dosbox now.
    2. Despite strong bad's best efforts, the "floppy" is no longer an accepted input media for any computers.
    3. the 2002 release was built for windows ME.
    4. It is not the voice acting or graphics that I want changed, just ported to a modern language that Win7 and such understands without help or 17 yr old cds.
  • edited December 2010
    I just thought of something!

Why not just send the original game over to grandoldgames.com?

The game can be sold right away, and less effort would be needed.
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah, I don't think it needs a remake, just a re-release, like the other non-updated LucasArts games on Steam. I hope that could be done.
  • edited December 2010
    Gumbyfan wrote: »
    I want a Special Edition because:
    1. The original game cds are hard to find and need dosbox now.
    2. Despite strong bad's best efforts, the "floppy" is no longer an accepted input media for any computers.
    3. the 2002 release was built for windows ME.
    4. It is not the voice acting or graphics that I want changed, just ported to a modern language that Win7 and such understands without help or 17 yr old cds.

You can run the original in ScummVM. Runs perfectly on Win7 x64.
  • edited December 2010
    I just thought of something!

Why not just send the original game over to grandoldgames.com?

The game can be sold right away, and less effort would be needed.

Dude, I think you mean Good Old Games. That still wouldn't work because they would need permission from LucasArts who have no rights to make, sell, modify or re-release Hit the Road.
  • edited December 2010
    I still hope that whoever truly owns the "inner-works" of Sam and Max: Hit the Road sends it over to Steam or GOG or some such.

I have learned a lot about these characters from the site and elsewhere, yet I have never been able to play their first video game. :(
  • edited December 2010
    I have learned a lot about these characters from the site and elsewhere, yet I have never been able to play their first video game. :(

As Pantagruel said above, you can run it a-okay with ScummVM.
  • edited December 2010
    All it needs is a save feature, higher quality music, and a higher resolution (So that it resembles the comics)
  • edited December 2010
    All it needs is a save feature, higher quality music, and a higher resolution (So that it resembles the comics)

Hit the Road already has a save feature, at least the CD version I have does. By the way, ScummVM handles resolution changes quite well.
  • edited December 2010
    It would be awesome if they did what they did with Monkey Island 2:Special Edition.

I totally agree: I wouldn't complain for the updated graphic, If I were a purist, since the Monkey Island's remakes have the ability to switch to the classic mode at any time ;)
  • edited December 2010
    I bought a CD copy of hit the road in wilkinsons for £5, since my original copy was so scratched. it works with windows 7 straight out the box.
  • edited December 2010

It's not hard to find usb floppy drives for about $10 which are accepted input media for all computers with a usb port. A new release of HtR is too much hassle to be worth it for anyone.
  • edited December 2010
    Bamse wrote: »
    It's not hard to find usb floppy drives for about $10 which are accepted input media for all computers with a usb port. A new release of HtR is too much hassle to be worth it for anyone.

Wow, I did not know that.

But, I think I will try to buy the 2002 CD anyway.
    Thanks guys.

P.S. If any Telltale people read this, please go on and send Mr. Purcell a memo regarding this "catch 22-triangle" of IP owner/game owner/contract holder. (at least it couldn't hurt)
  • edited December 2010
    I own the la classics version of the game and it works perfectly on windows 7
Sign in to comment in this discussion.