DVDs won't work

edited December 2010 in Game Support
I have both the Tales of Monkey Island Standard DVD and the S&M Season 2 collector's DVD and my PC won't see either. It's almost like it sees it as a blank disc. I tried the S&M in my PS3 and it was able to start all the bonus content. Everything else I've tried (regular DVDs, other software) works fine. Anyone have any suggestions? :confused:

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Do you have multiple DVD Drives? If so, have you tried another one?

A dxdiag log could also help.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited December 2010
    Alright, here's a Zip of the results.

Unfortunately I only have one DVD drive for my laptop, but as I said I tried the S&M DVD in my PS3 and it was able to play the video portions and other DVDs work in this drive. It seems to just be my 2 Telltale DVDs.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2010
    How long have you waited for it to recognize the dvds?
    Does another PC recognize them enough, that the games could be installed?
    Does it work during a clean boot?

Booting clean in Windows XP:
    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
    4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
    5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    6. Click on the Services tab
    7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Restart
    8. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited December 2010
    Nope, DVDs still aren't recognized with a clean boot. I can run other Telltale games I have installed through download and when I put the Monkey Island DVD in a regular DVD player, it did see files and the S&M continues to play just fine. Unfortunately I don't have access to another PC with a DVD drive. I can let the DVDs sit for hours in my computer and it still doesn't see them. The only thing that happens is it changes the title from "DVD-RAM Drive" to "CD Drive" which I find a little odd.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2010
    I don't really know what's going on there. Without knowing if the DVDs work on any other Computer, i can only guess that it's maybe some kind of compatibility problem between the DVDs and your DVD drive. It is less likely, that both DVDs are broken in some way, especially since the Video parts work on your other players.

All I can think of for you to try is updating your DVD drives firmware or using a different DVD drive.
  • edited December 2010
    Well, managed to find another computer I could check it out on (REALLY hoping my IT department doesn't log and actually check anything I do on my computer) and sure enough, the discs work. I can't find a firmware update or even a download on either my laptop manufacturer's site or the drive maker's site (a search on either doesn't even pull up the model) and one site I found that was recommended on several other forums regarding this drive DID have a download but it won't finish. Everything else runs fine on this drive. Uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and made sure my DirectX is up to date. It's like these 2 particular discs don't want to work with this particular drive. Any other suggestions? :confused:
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2010
    zinotrope wrote: »
    Any other suggestions? :confused:

I don't have a perfect solution.

As far as i have heard the ToMI DVDs are DRM free, so you could try to make a copy, and use that in your Notebook.

Alternatively you could install the download versions of the games instead, and copy only the Bonus content from the DVDs.

If you want to keep troubleshooting, you could install a fresh windows to see if the DVDs work then to rule out software issues. A Ubuntu wubi installation could also be a way to test that, without making drastic changes to your hard disk.

If they both fail, your best option for a permanent solution (besides the non available firmware update) is probably to replace your notebooks dvd drive.

Btw. did any TTG games work on your notebook in general? I noticed some very old drivers.
This discussion has been closed.