So wait....the game will be easy AND it will have hint sytem?!

edited December 2010 in Back to the Future
I am not one to complain much. I have accepted every decision with this game up till now, but I don't get why TellTale decided to do this.

The game is already made really accessible a.k.a. easy.
And then there is also a hint system included that if you use enough times basically tell you the answer.

Then why not make the game a tad more difficult?! Then both hardcore and newcomers will have little trouble.

Just look at Professor Layton. Perfect example of being easy and difficult at the same time.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    I am not one to complain much.
    But you're surely one that posts much ;)
  • edited December 2010
    I am fan...what can I say?
  • edited December 2010
    I'm just teasing... keep your enthusiasm, it's always great on these forums :)
  • edited December 2010
    Presumably you'll be able to turn the hints off (though I saw someone complaining here once that "Devil's Playhouse" still gave them hints when that game's hint setting was set to 0, so I'm not entirely sure).
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah, I sincerly hope it's just the perfect difficulty level and takes up a a sizable chunk of my life.
  • edited December 2010
    Often the first episode is the easiest, so as to introduce adventure n00bs to the genre without having them abandon the episode 1/2 way through.

Then the difficulty ramps up as the season progresses and your audience is hooked into the story.
  • edited December 2010
    Oooh, sounds dramatic! Slowly the game reaches it's terrible hook out and... pulls you in violently!!! What a coincidence, I'm an adventure n00b!
  • edited December 2010
    Telltale's been doing hint systems since Sam and Max Season Two, though.
  • edited December 2010
    THATS IT CANCEL MY ORDER!!..... wait I like the difficulty of TTgames... carry on.
  • edited December 2010
    Well to be honest....I wouldn't be bothered by it either.
    I'll probably play this game 70% for story, atmosphere, characters and 30% for puzzles.
    But I just don't want it to be brought down by reviewers and non-casual gamers solely for this.

I wanted to know what is behind this decision on TTG's part. Why worry so much about making it accesible for everyone else if you have an infinite hint system that eventually reveals what you need to do.
  • edited December 2010
    I don't necessarily mind *easy* puzzles, but I hate puzzles that just solve themselves or insult my intelligence. I hope this game doesn't contain too many of those... :(

As long as the story is fine, I can live with that though... I hope the point where the puzzles become that much of a second banana to the story telling, that I quit playing TTG games, won't ever come.
  • edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    though I saw someone complaining here once that "Devil's Playhouse" still gave them hints when that game's hint setting was set to 0, so I'm not entirely sure
    That was a bug in 303. Pretty sure it's the only game of the 5 where it happens.
  • edited December 2010
    The only thing I'm bothered about is I don't think there will be an option to turn them off altogether. I read somewhere (Gamespot maybe?) that if you spend a while not reaching your goals it automatically gives you a subtle hint. After that, there's a three tier hint system.

Or maybe I imagined it.
  • edited December 2010
    The only thing I'm bothered about is I don't think there will be an option to turn them off altogether. I read somewhere (Gamespot maybe?) that if you spend a while not reaching your goals it automatically gives you a subtle hint. After that, there's a three tier hint system.

Or maybe I imagined it.

No need to worry. You will absolutely be able to completely turn off all forms of hints, should you so choose. :)
  • edited December 2010
    Kool, thanks for the info :)
  • edited December 2010
    Sweet, No hints mode! Sounds cool, but I might need to turn them on though, cause I'm not a really great gamer. great to have the option, though :)
  • edited December 2010
    Definitely thanks for the info. I'll have that turned off for at least my first play-through. :p
  • edited December 2010
    Turn off all the hints. The people that complain about the difficulty or shortness of episodes who keep this on annoy me ;)
  • edited December 2010
    I complain about the difficulty even with it turned off... :p
  • edited December 2010
    I always turn on the hints in my second playthrough because I wanna hear all the dialogues.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    My man!
    I am like that too.
  • edited December 2010
    Why am I being told to click on things when hits are turned off and goals are turned off?
  • edited December 2010
    I must say I find the dialog box in the upper left corner of the screen quite annoying and distracting. I turned off all hints and help (the objective thingy) but it nevertheless keeps popping up the box telling me how to use the inventory and all that.

Maaaan... I've been playing adventures since I was 7 years old - and today I'm 28! You should think I know how to play a simple game by now... annoyedq6b3.gif
  • edited December 2010
    Never played a game like this before, I have hints off and I already got stuck on one part for a good 15-20 minutes... and I'm not terribly stupid either lol :)
  • edited December 2010
    Yes, it was very annoying for while it lasted. Gladly it passed after the tutorial (especially that text that kept on the screen even if moving about, that was annoying)
  • edited December 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    I am not one to complain much. I have accepted every decision with this game up till now, but I don't get why TellTale decided to do this.

The game is already made really accessible a.k.a. easy.
    And then there is also a hint system included that if you use enough times basically tell you the answer.

Then why not make the game a tad more difficult?! Then both hardcore and newcomers will have little trouble.

Just look at Professor Layton. Perfect example of being easy and difficult at the same time.

I'm sure the episodes will increase in difficulty by the end of the series.
  • edited December 2010
    As an absolute lover of point'n'click games (I've played 'em since I was ten, before that I had to type in commands!) I have to say that Tell Tale did a much better job with the hint system than other companies have. When I played Broken Sword DC on the DS I was disgusted by how specific their hint system got. With this game (BTTF), I'm quite pleased with how vague the hint system is. Though, at times it's a little too vague.
  • edited December 2010
    I like that you can choose when to get a hint.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.