Can't activate English language!!! :(

Hey guys.

Okay, just downloaded the game. I specified it as "English" in the drop down menu, of course. The installer itself IS English, too. But as soon as I start the launcher, everything is in German!! :mad: All the labels in the menus are in German and so are the lines of dialogue one can choose! (Of course the spoken language is still English though.)

How on EARTH do I get to play the game in FULL English??
Because I really don't want to click German lines of dialogue when English is the spoken language (which I absolutely prefer, in the first place)!!!

:mad: :(

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Uh oh, I'm afraid this problem will be here as well :/

Also, why do I need to download 366MB for an installer, and that installer downloads ANOTHER 366MB?
  • edited December 2010
    I know, but please let this be the thread that's about the German language problem ONLY!
  • edited December 2010
    same problem here with the english version, but german text which can not be changed :-(
  • edited December 2010
    Same problem here.
  • edited December 2010
    I mean, I DO use a German version of Windows but that shouldn't be a problem, right?
    I already searched in the options and in my Windows registry but there was nothing to be found! :(
  • edited December 2010
    Got same problem as writen earlier. Hopefully will be solution for us :)
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah, let's hope so. :(

HEY GUYS, ANYBODY OUT THERE WHO COULD HELP???
  • edited December 2010
    Same problem here. I don't care for any german localizations, since I play every game in english. I specifically downloaded the english version and it still has german menus and dialog options. I don't get why so few game developers include an ingame language selection, like in the Tomb Raider games from Crystal Dynamics. There you can switch between languages midgame, which is a very cool feature.
  • edited December 2010
    I found an option in windows that helped me.

systemsteuerung --> regionen und sprachen
    sprache für unicode inkompatible programme <-- das auf english stellen

Seriously though, no language option is just bad form nowadays.
    This needs to be patched in ASAP. Real shame that it isn't in already.
  • edited December 2010
    I know, but please let this be the thread that's about the German language problem ONLY!

Sorry about that, I didn't see the other thread and thought the two problems were connected somehow like, first downloading the English version but then it automatically downloads the German version when a German OS is detected...

Well anyway, yeah, it sucks that I have English voices but German text. Very distracting.
  • edited December 2010
    Okay, jetzt nochmal (wie Talahar das oben schon beschrieben hat), so klappt's:

1.) Systemsteuerung
    2.) Region und Sprache
    3.) Verwaltung
    4.) Gebietsschema ändern
    5.) Englisch (USA)

Dann unter Umständen den PC neustarten und schon ist alles in englisch.

Trotzdem ist das ein absolutes Unding, wenn ihr mich fragt...
  • edited December 2010
    To Bad for me running the game on a mac i guess.....
  • edited December 2010
    Could it be about "german and french language problem"? :D
    I'm french and i cannot activate english too !
    1.) Systemsteuerung
    2.) Region und Sprache
    3.) Verwaltung
    4.) Gebietsschema ändern
    5.) Englisch (USA)
    If it solves the problem, can someone translate it ? thx
  • rfcrfc
    edited December 2010
    I can confirm this works for me too. I'm on W7 German and with this change it starts all in English.

I do not find that fix very good, nevertheless I like it because I've had similar troubles in the past with other apps too; maybe they're also fixed now.
  • edited December 2010
    mammouth31 wrote: »
    If it solves the problem, can someone translate it ? thx
    Oh, sorry:

1.) Control Panel
    2.) Regional and Language Settings
    3.) Administrative
    4.) Change scheme
    5.) English (USA)

Maybe you'll also have to restart the computer after that. Then the game will be in complete English.

But anyway: this is quite a problem which they should definitely fix in the near future!!
  • edited December 2010
    I actually wanna have it in german and all I'm getting is german texts and english audio.. I've already set my language settings to german. Doesn't seem to help apart from the german subtitles.. I'm on a mac, 10.6.5.
  • rfcrfc
    edited December 2010
    skeez wrote: »
    I actually wanna have it in german and all I'm getting is german texts and english audio.. I've already set my language settings to german. Doesn't seem to help apart from the german subtitles.. I'm on a mac, 10.6.5.
    Honestly, you should make your own thread or better search for an existing first. As this topic says, it's about getting English, not something else.
  • edited December 2010
    relax dude, it's the same problem, ain't it?
  • edited December 2010
    I'm Spanish, but I can read on English and French. I was planning to use sometimes the French subtitles, and I think all that messing with the Windows settings is not a good solution. A built-in in-game language selector would be a great idea for a eventual update.

Maybe when they add the Spanish-Italian subtitle package... :rolleyes:
  • edited December 2010
    Also, there is no version with German audio out yet! That will take a bit longer, I guess.
  • edited December 2010
    If you want German audio, I think you should download a different file.
  • edited December 2010
    If you want German audio, I think you should download a different file.

Yeh like selecting "german" in the downloads options? ;) It doesn't work.
  • edited December 2010
    Yeh like selecting "german" in the downloads options? ;) It doesn't work.
    What do you mean? The link doesn't work? Or it's still english audio after downloading the supposed german audio file?
  • edited December 2010
    Exactly, it's still english though it's supposed to be german.
  • edited December 2010
    I'm from Germany but I want (and downloaded) the all English version.
    But it doesn't work here either. Please fix this horrible travesty.
  • edited December 2010
    I have selected "french" before download. The menu and subtitles are in french it's perfect but voices in german, i would like in english :/
  • edited December 2010
    To disable the german interface texts (or subtitles) on a german Windows, simply rename the /Episode1/Pack/Localized/german folder. Then the game won't find the texts and display the english ones instead.

Same applies for french; and you don't need to change anything on your machine.

But seriously, this should be a setting of the game.. So please telltalegames, add some setting for that..
  • edited December 2010
    Unfortunately in-game texts are still german after renaming the localized folder :[

Support++
    Is there an other workaround to skip auto language detection?

Edit:
    Found this in an other thread:
    Set this Key in the Registry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Telltale Games\BackToTheFuture101.exe]

"Language"="english"

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2010
    poke wrote: »
    To disable the german interface texts (or subtitles) on a german Windows, simply rename the /Episode1/Pack/Localized/german folder. Then the game won't find the texts and display the english ones instead.

That didn't work for me.

Here's a solution that doesn't require a restart. You just need to add a registry key. I only tested it on Windows 7 64-Bit and Windows XP 32-Bit yet. It should work with any version though, if you correct the Registry path.

The Win7 64-Bit registry settings will probably work with Win7 32-Bit as well. If someone tests that, please let me know, so i can edit it here.

Windows 7 64 bit:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Telltale Games\BackToTheFuture101.exe]
    "Language"="english"

Windows XP 32 bit:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Telltale Games\BackToTheFuture101.exe]
    "Language"="english"

For convenience i attached a zip containing .reg files for both Windows Versions for adding and removing the Language key. Look at the end of the File name to find the right one for your Windows Version. Just double click the appropriate .reg file and confirm the changes.

Add the Language Key:
    BTTF-add_English_Language-Win7_64Bit.reg
    BTTF-add_English_Language-WinXP_32Bit.reg

Remove the Language Key:

BTTF-remove_English_Language-Win7_64Bit.reg
    BTTF-remove_English_Language-WinXP_32Bit.reg
  • edited December 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Here's a solution that doesn't require a restart. You just need to add a registry key. I only tested it on Windows 7 64-Bit and Windows XP 32-Bit yet. It should work with any version though, if you correct the Registry path.

Great, that did it for me. Couldn't get the game to run with english text with the other workarounds, but the Win 7 64 reg key worked like a charm. Thanks a lot.
    Unfortunately I already finished the game yesterday, because I couldn't wait for a solution, but now I can play it again like TTG intended it to be played.
  • edited December 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    That didn't work for me.

Sorry, I only checked the language of the launcher, and thought the game would behave the same..

The registry solution works fine for me.
  • edited December 2010
    I've had it up to here with software that forces a certain language on you automatically.

I am in Germany and own a computer with a German keyboard. However, all the software I use is in English, and that includes the Windows operating system! Now if I have German keyboard but an English OS, what does that tell you about the language I'm most likely to use?? Exactly.

However, I have to admit, German has never been forced upon me as aggressively as with this game. Usually, there's some sort of option inside the software that let's you choose the language afterwards, but actually having to screw around with the registry is a first for me.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Christiab wrote: »
    Usually, there's some sort of option inside the software that let's you choose the language afterwards, but actually having to screw around with the registry is a first for me.

That registry setting was used in the other TTG games too. It doesn't come out of nowhere and doesn't do any harm.

I wouldn't assume any evil intentions here. Let's just hope that the installer get's fixed, so it does set that registry value.
  • edited December 2010
    I'm not assuming any evil intentions either, I just don't like it is all. :)
  • edited December 2010
    Hello, is there an admin who can tell us something about the development status? Is there a workaround being written? It shouldn´t be that hard...
  • edited January 2011
    is there a way i can get the full english version (audio+text) on my mac without having the whole OS in english?

On my Windows PC it works when adding the registry keys... so is there a solution for mac os?
  • edited January 2011
    Telltale, please fix this issue. Just bought it and find it really annoying to have German text even though I installed the ENGLISH game...
  • edited January 2011
    +1

This combination of English audio and (sometimes clumsily translated) German text is heavily irritating. Please add an option to choose ENGLISH ONLY.
  • edited February 2011
    That registry fix doesn't work for me. (XP32bit)
    No "Language" key in the registry btw., but a "Language ID"...
    Set it to US and UK IDs, no effect.

Seriously...
    I played most of Telltales' games and now this?
    I hate translations with a passion. I want to play the game like the developers imagined it. I don't like to squirm over translation mistakes and miss a plot point!

Please fix this...

PS: Also, there is a registry key "Password"?
    That's creepy...
  • edited February 2011
    @DjNDB: You are my hero! :-) Thanks. Hope that registry entry does no harm to my system.. but I guess not.
This discussion has been closed.