TT Aud 2 Ogg converter

edited December 2007 in Sam & Max
I've created a piece of software that converts the .aud files(the music among other things) from Sam & Max to ordinary .ogg audio format playable in all major software audio players. I am aware that there are software out there that does this already, but my application is cross-platform, open source and compiles perfectly under both Windows and Linux.

Also, I've released it under the GPL license([url]http://www.gnu.org)[/url].

Grab the precompiled Windows version here:
www.linuxaddict.dk/TTaud2ogg.rar

And, if you want to compile it under Linux, grab the source code here:
www.linuxaddict.dk/TTaud2ogg_src.rar

To compile it you'll need QT4(www.trolltech.com) installed.

Lastly, i don't know what TellTales' stance is with software like this, so if it violates something, anything, i hope you guys will remove this thread and i will remove the software. I made it because i really, really love the music, and i just HAD to have the EndCredits song from Ep3 on my Amarok playlist. :)

Comments

• edited February 2007
    dankeshane or whatever ; )
  • edited May 2007
    I'm having trouble using this with the gametap files. does it only work if you bought the games from Telltale directly?
  • edited May 2007
    AtionSong: From what I've heard, you can't get the music from Gametap versions of the game. I think they're heavily encrypted.
  • edited May 2007
    Yeah, the GameTap version is completely encrypted. I know it has to be done, but it sucks, because Ep. 6 files are off-limits until the world release :(
  • edited May 2007
    It's a sad time, when the buyer has to be protected from him- or herself, because the person/company/people who sold it to the person is afraid the buyer will misuse his or her rights. It's one of those things that just seems completly unfair for those who does nothing wrong, but still is understandable when one consider those who decide to do something wrong(at least from the sellers point of view).

I bet it's that encryption thing that makes gametap so careful about releasing gametap worldwide, because many countries have rather strict encryption laws... and some countries only allow certain types of encryption etc... quite complicated set of laws to study. I tried to read a list over encryption laws in different countries, but I gave up after I finished with the laws for my country.
  • edited May 2007
    Badwolf wrote: »
    AtionSong: From what I've heard, you can't get the music from Gametap versions of the game. I think they're heavily encrypted.

Man, that sucks. :mad: On the other hand, it could be a clever strategy by TellTale to get Gametap subscribers to still buy the TT version...(just kidding)
  • edited May 2007
    I just tried it, having heard you could before, and you can simply make a copy of the aud file and change the extension to ogg and it plays.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    GameTap has to encrypt the hell out of everything, because otherwise they'd be a one stop piracy ripping shop for hundreds of games.
  • edited May 2007
    Very neat. I wish I could rip some of Sam and Max's quotes and set them as the sounds for various functions of my computer.

I'd love to hear Sam's line about the internet crashing every time I get an error message in FireFox...
  • edited May 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    GameTap has to encrypt the hell out of everything, because otherwise they'd be a one stop piracy ripping shop for hundreds of games.

Well, Steam manages to have stuff unencrypted. Granted, it's a simple store, much unlike GameTap, but they have other ways of ensuring that stuff isn't easily pirated.

Oh well. In order to get lines from the game, I'd just turn off the music and record it with Fraps or Audacity.
  • edited May 2007
    Any chance you will put up the files again? I'm looking to get the ep3 credit song ;)
  • edited May 2007
    jake still doesnt make sense why they dont let us or the fans dl the videos to keep.. Id do it for money sheesh.! as for aud to ogg.. hasnt there been pro audio software thats done that for ages? Either way if this one is specific to sam and max oorah. But if not I can just play the game recording all I hear or take the aud to ogg(if nothing is encrypted) darn you aol time warner ahem i mean gametap.
  • edited May 2007
  • edited June 2007
    I'm still looking for an Aud2Ogg convertor. I only managed to find one for Westwood games that only works with C&C or for linux. Does anybody know of a convertor for Win XP?
  • edited June 2007
    To avoid repeating somebody else, I think this sums it up:
    If you want to extract the song (non-Gametap customers) use the Telltale Music Extractor, and point it to your <game>/<game> data/pack/data/ directory.

For Gametap, I have no idea.
  • edited December 2007
    It's not really complex (the TellTale music file format). It's just an OGG Vorbis file with 126 extra bytes of header data preceding it. I've been converting the AUD files to OGG for... 5 minutes now... by myself using a hex viewer I wrote a year or so ago. Easy as pie!
  • edited December 2007
    Katana wrote: »
    Well, Steam manages to have stuff unencrypted. Granted, it's a simple store, much unlike GameTap, but they have other ways of ensuring that stuff isn't easily pirated.

Oh well. In order to get lines from the game, I'd just turn off the music and record it with Fraps or Audacity.

You should remember that with Gametap, you could just pay $0.99 for a month and rip every game that's available (if there was no encryption). Steam is much different since you have to actually pay for each game.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2007
    Holy thread necromancy! Anyway,
    dg10050 wrote: »
    You should remember that with Gametap, you could just pay $0.99 for a month and rip every game that's available (if there was no encryption). Steam is much different since you have to actually pay for each game.

Plus, I've never heard of anyone hacking a game out of GameTap. So you have to give them some credit there.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.