Back to the Future won't launch.

edited January 2012 in Game Support
I downloaded BTTF and installed it. I open the launcher, but when I click on "Play" in that orange box in the bottom right, nothing happens. I tried reinstalling it, and still nothing.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Same here...... First time I ever had problems with a TTG.
  • edited December 2010
    I also am having this problem.
  • edited December 2010
    same.

Someone want to start a tally?
  • edited December 2010
    It worked once just now but then it stopped working after I tried to import it into my Steam list.
  • edited December 2010
    It worked the first time I played. Then my computer rebooted (stupid Windows Update!) and now I get the same as above: I can select the text (all written text for that matter) of the orange PLAY button, but it doesn't react on the mouse button presses.

-edit-
    Uninstalled, reinstalled, works again ?!?!?!?!!!!
  • edited December 2010
    I'm playing on a Mac and getting the exact same problem. As soon as I click "Play" the entire program just closes.

Edit: Just downloaded the file again and it's working now.
  • edited December 2010
    If your using a PC, before starting a new game, try lowering the graphics quality all the way down on the main menu.
  • edited December 2010
    I have had the problem every time I play a telltalegame. But I figured out it has something to do with my Slim Tablet 600 (drawing table). Just conect the table and move the pen around and it will start.
    Hope that helps
  • edited December 2010
    I had this problem, I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it and then followed these instructions:

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21498

It's nothing short of shocking how poor this is, and how TTG still haven't fixed it.
  • edited March 2011
    At least you get to the main menu. I can't even get THAT to load! I just get an infinite black window with the words "loading" in the corner. But it NEVER LOADS!!!!
  • edited March 2011
    Same here. It worked once, now I can't get past the launcher screen. Is there a solution for this yet? I can't get to the screen to turn down the resolution.
  • edited March 2011
    I tried running as admin after seeing that on another thread, which fixed this for me.
  • edited June 2011
    same here! first i downloaded it and it worked, next i press play and it won't let me, then
    at later it was loading slow and i didn't see the play thing, i tried re downloading it again
    and it won't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2011
    jenji51 wrote: »
    same here! first i downloaded it and it worked, next i press play and it won't let me, then
    at later it was loading slow and i didn't see the play thing, i tried re downloading it again
    and it won't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you try running the game as Administrator?

Also, if you have later BTTF Episodes, you can try if it works after installing them. I only get that problem with the first episodes launcher.
  • edited June 2011
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Did you try running the game as Administrator?

Also, if you have later BTTF Episodes, you can try if it works after installing them. I only get that problem with the first episodes launcher.
    yes and it didn't work that's because, i have window 7 and it
    won't let me play.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2011
    jenji51 wrote: »
    yes and it didn't work that's because, i have window 7 and it
    won't let me play.

I sadly don't know any other workaround that should help with that issue.
  • edited June 2011
    Hey there! Been having the same problem myself.
    People have been saying click "run as administrator" but I don't know my administrator password.
    Is there any other solution? I'm running XP.
  • edited January 2012
    I was having the same exact issue, after playing it once, then it wouldn't load (or launch anything) so I uninstalled it, and now I can't even reinstall it. It gives me the "Error opening file for writing" error. I re-downloaded it too. Anyone?

Running Win7, updates DirectX, launching as admin
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Is the game possibly still running in the background?

Otherwise, you could try installing during a clean boot, to make sure nothing interferes.

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. If running the game on Steam, re-check the "Steam Client Service"
    8. Click on OK
    9. Click Restart.
    10. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer
  • edited January 2012
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Is the game possibly still running in the background?

That seems to have been it. Right before you posted this, I went into the task manager and saw it still open in the processes. I closed that, and thus far it has started up as it should.

If it breaks again, I'll go back though and try cleaning my boots.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.