Back to the Future - Can't click "Play"

edited April 2013 in Game Support
I installed back to the future, after I log in however, the button marked "Play" doesn't launch the episode so I can't start it.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    happening to me as well.
  • edited December 2010
    OK third time was the charm.... uninstalled twice and it worked reinstalling the third time.... weird.
  • edited February 2011
    This problem still persists if you run the game without admin rights [on Vista x86 with UAC enabled].

Why does BttF require admin rights when no previous Telltale game requires them to run properly?

And no, firewall and/or anti-virus aren’t blocking anything.
  • edited February 2011
    I run the game in Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit an I have admin rights, but all the same, I can't click den Play-Button. I played it one time only. What is the problem???
  • edited February 2011
    I'm having the same problem, but I noticed that this error occurs like this:

You open the game for the first time and play

The next time you open it asks do logoon

But once done, the play button, like any other, not "press", only gets selected.

Here I can only re-enter the game after uninstalling it 200x and even then, without my original savegame
  • edited February 2011
    I can't get in either and when I tried to right click all I was was reload. There was nothing about play as an administrator. If I can't play this I'm sure glad I got the free episode and didn't pay for something that doesn't work.
  • edited February 2011
    The same here i have been enjoying it for a bit now...took a break for a couple of weeks and finally ready to start playing again and now i cant click play? Shortcut doesn't work and i have reinstalled it both with keeping saves and losing them and still nothing? TELLTALE HELP! What the hell do i do? I have purchased the whole season and cannot play it again? I need this resolved or a refund!:mad:
  • edited February 2011
    I have the same problem! And there are other Threads in this forum with the same problem, so please, dear telltale games: fix it!!!!! This is not fair for people who paid for this software.
  • edited February 2011
    I have download BTTF 2 about ten times and cannot get into the play menu. I have uninstalled BTTF 1 to see if that would solve the problem and nothing. I just can't get into the episode 2 installment.

HELP!!!
  • edited February 2011
    I have download BTTF 2 about ten times and cannot get into the play menu. I have uninstalled BTTF 1 to see if that would solve the problem and nothing. I just can't get into the episode 2 installment.

HELP!!!
  • edited February 2011
    if you are running windows and you are the admin right click the launcher and "Run as administator"
  • edited February 2011
    Lotty wrote: »
    if you are running windows and you are the admin right click the launcher and "Run as administator"
    This sure works, but admin rights shouldn’t be required. In fact, they aren’t for any other Telltale game, so why for BttF?
  • edited February 2011
    'Run as admin' Did the job for me. But Seriously why does it take so much to make a game work. I'm glad I'm pc savvy. Imagine some young kid that just wants to play the game. And not search for .dll files and forums to make it work.

I'm not super impressed with the crap some people have had to deal with just to make it work.
  • edited February 2011
    I had the same problem and running as Admin also did the job for me. It was really annoying while it lasted.

What I'm surprised about is that no one from Telltale is helping solving these problems. To be honest I haven't looked for a FAQ, troubleshooting post or something like that but I think this one should be added to them.
  • edited February 2011
    Same problem here, it won't launch the game.
    I get to choose episode and when i press "play" the window closes and nothing happens...
    Win 7 x64, running as admin. The ctrl shift -/ ctrl shift + fix didn't help either.. reinstalled TWICE..

Please.. fix now!

UPDATE:
    After a few hours of troubleshooting i figured out that the game didn't like AirfoilInject3.dll, a file associated with Airfoil. So i uninstalled Airfoil and now i can play! The game looks great!
  • edited February 2011
    well atleast I know I'm not the only one
    I guess I'll try reinstalling it now
  • edited February 2011
    Hello everybody. I had the same problem and I think I found a workaround:
    • While logged in as admin, grant your normal user administrator rights
    • Log back in as your regular user and install the game (all available episodes) from there
    • Finally, log back in as yourself and enjoy the game.

I can't say why, but this worked for me. Apparently the game can only be played by the user who installed it. Hope this helps,

Joel
  • edited March 2011
    'Run as admin' Did the job for me. But Seriously why does it take so much to make a game work. I'm glad I'm pc savvy. Imagine some young kid that just wants to play the game. And not search for .dll files and forums to make it work.

I Know! Thank God somebody found it before I uninstalled my save game and everything.
  • edited March 2011
    Capitalist wrote: »
    I installed back to the future, after I log in however, the button marked "Play" doesn't launch the episode so I can't start it.
    turn off windows security alerts and make sure you under the admin account.
  • edited March 2011
    Haplo23 wrote: »
    Hello everybody. I had the same problem and I think I found a workaround:
    • While logged in as admin, grant your normal user administrator rights
    • Log back in as your regular user and install the game (all available episodes) from there
    • Finally, log back in as yourself and enjoy the game.

I can't say why, but this worked for me. Apparently the game can only be played by the user who installed it. Hope this helps,

Joel

Wow. Just... wow.
    I haven't needed to do this for years! I thought that now non-screwed-up software was supposed to work well in multi-user environments.
    This is really annoying. How did that happen? Was this game compiled in 2005?
  • edited March 2011
    This is just plain stupid. This is my first game from this company..and while I need a better computer to be able to play it on, just trying to play it on the one I have was even more of a pain since I kept uninstalling it/installing it just to try it out.

Does the company even post in the forums here? This is something that obviously needs to be fixed :eek:
  • edited March 2011
    I had the same problem in Win7 32-bit and came search here. The "Run as Administrator" fix worked for me, but it sure shouldn't require it. :/
  • edited March 2011
    Add my name to those annoyed by this. The Play button doesn't work as non-administrator on 64-bit Win 7. I only got the one free episode, so the orange button on the other episodes says "Buy Now", and it works when it says that! (I can click the button to open a browser that takes me to the place to buy them.) It just won't let me Play! If it weren't for this thread, I wouldn't even know that I had to run as Administrator to fix it.

None of your other games requires Administrator privileges to play. This one shouldn't, either.

EDIT: I found another solution, at least for Windows 7. XP Compatibility Mode. Go to the executable in Program Files\Telltale\Back to the Future The Game\Episode 1. Right click BackToTheFuture101.exe, select Properties. Choose the Compatibility tab. Check the box to run the program in Compatibility Mode, set the dropdown to Windows XP (Service Pack 3). Press OK. Now the Play button works.

(I don't know if this has any other bad side effects. I only tested it as far as the opening screen.)
  • edited March 2011
    Same is happening to me. Running Win7 x64 and the game is not letting me play by clicking the play button.
  • edited March 2011
    Okay, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times, including reinstalling as an administrator and it still doesn't work. And for me, the window that launches the game won't even load the launcher buttons. I'm using 64 bit Windows 7.
  • edited March 2011
    Did you guys try the XP Compatibility Mode trick? I stuck it in the middle of my last message, to make it harder to spot.
  • edited March 2011
    When I try the XP compatibility mode trick, some error message pops up saying it can't load the game and to make sure I'm trying to run it from the directory it's installed to, which I am.
  • edited March 2011
    Arrgghhh! I am a loyal TellTale supporter who has downloaded and played almost every game the company has produced without incident. Now all of a sudden with BTTF 2, I can't launch the game. I have downloaded it and run set-up three or four times now. The game does NOT create a desktop shortcut icon or show up in "All Programs," but it does appear under "Uninstall." I don't know much about computers, so none of the above gibberish about "Run as administrator" means anything to me. Anyone patient enough to explain what I should do here?
  • edited March 2011
    Have you tried looking in the folder it's installed to?
  • edited June 2011
    I have the same damn problem, im running Win7 x64. Cant click the effing play button. Surely they have made a fix by now? Really annoyed.
  • edited June 2011
    Peej wrote: »
    I have the same damn problem, im running Win7 x64. Cant click the effing play button. Surely they have made a fix by now? Really annoyed.

Have you tried right clicking on the game and selecting run as admin?
  • edited June 2011
    Amy Lukima wrote: »
    You are aware that this is only a workaround but no real solution, aren’t you? No other Telltale game requires to be run with admin rights.
  • edited June 2011
    jello wrote: »
    You are aware that this is only a workaround but no real solution, aren’t you? No other Telltale game requires to be run with admin rights.

This is something that we'll be changing in future game but it will not be changed in BttF. Sorry about that.
  • edited June 2011
    Lotty wrote: »
    thanks a bunch ....it works i m relieved
  • edited June 2011
    What an ugly bug. What an even uglier response. I'd be put off, but these folks are making a Jurassic Park game so I am constitutionally incapable of staying mad at 'em.
  • edited August 2011
    It is happening to me, too. The weird thing is, even when I turn off my PC, I never have to log in. Will I have to repay for the game if I uninstall it? :mad:
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2011
    ClockTower wrote: »
    Will I have to repay for the game if I uninstall it? :mad:

No no, you can always install it again from the setup file / installer you downloaded, and even if you lose that you can just download it again. You'll probably have to log in on the splash screen again to authenticate when you reinstall.
  • edited September 2011
    This is something that we'll be changing in future game but it will not be changed in BttF. Sorry about that.

Sorry about this then, but I won't be buying your games.
  • edited December 2011
    Still no fix for this? This is just sad. Just bough the game on sale (finally) and it still has all those old bugs :mad:
  • JPPJPP
    edited December 2011
    I'm annoyed by this requirement as well. As a "computer-guy" I can tell you that the separation between normal and admin users exists for a damn good reason: to raise your computer's security.

I run almost all my stuff as a normal user, even though I have another account as my computer's administrator as well. This ensures (well, mostly ensures) that if one program I'm running gets hijacked by malicious code (e.g. viruses) they will be able to do less or even no harm.

I don't think Telltale's code is malicious at all (if I thought that I wouldn't ever install your game) but I don't like the idea of giving programs admin rights. I try to keep it to a minimum, thank you.

As I said I'm annoyed by this requirement, but I'm far more annoyed by Telltale's reply "No, we won't change it, too bad you didn't like it. F you and have a nice day"
This discussion has been closed.