Windows: BTTF requires Admin rights on W7

rfcrfc
edited December 2010 in Game Support
And probably Vista too, especially when UAC is enabled.

See the solution I found.

I made a separate thread so people can find it easier in the hope it helps them.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Launcher consistently fails to open and gives me error. In like one time out of ten I can open the launcher.
  • edited December 2010
    I have tried doing this 3 times now and it is still giving me the same issue it was before. The screen was jumpy, the sound was jumpy. I am running the game off of Windows 7 and for some reason it keeps screwing up. I've followed the directions of other posters and nothing works.

Perhaps it's time we get our money back --

Pity, I was looking forward to playing this game.
  • rfcrfc
    edited December 2010
    I'd recommend making your own thread for visibility and post your system specs there. This is about getting it run at all ...
  • jmmjmm
    edited December 2010
    Admin rights are not required, there is probably an Antivirus or Firewall staying in the way.
  • rfcrfc
    edited December 2010
    jmm wrote: »
    Admin rights are not required, there is probably an Antivirus or Firewall staying in the way.

I neither run any such third party product, nor did I do anything manual with the built in W7 firewall other then having it. Interesting, but it's 100% reproducible for me. And I even did not install it in the default C:\Program Files\ location, which to my knowledge is treated a bit special in terms of access rights, maybe that has something to do?
  • edited December 2010
    rfc wrote: »
    I neither run any such third party product, nor did I do anything manual with the built in W7 firewall other then having it. Interesting.

Had the same problem. Got a message saying that I needed a certain level of pixel shader, and my card didn't support it. Got a white windowed screen, and had to quit out. When I ran as admin, it works fine.

Running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 version with an ATI Radeon HD 5770.

I'm running stock Windows Firewall, and Microsoft Security Essentials, but seriously doubt that it has anything to do with those. I'm thinking there is some dll that requires elevated permissions.
  • edited December 2010

They're required on my box, antivirus or firewall would not affect this.
  • edited December 2010
    They ARE required.

The reason is that the installer runs as administrator and adds some stuff into the admins profile, which is then lacking in your user profile and the launchers figures theres no game installed. Probably some browser-cookies or similar since the launcher is run on top of IE.

Took me 3 DL + installation cycles till I figured this out :mad:
    Nice job on QA Telltale!
  • edited December 2010
    Can't Telltale just, like, put everything downloaded through the launcher in the %APPDATA% folder?
  • edited December 2010
    I'm having the same issue and now its slowing down my computer installing and this is a brand new PC. I have to say that I'm less than thrilled. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit too. By the looks of the forum this thing is far from bug free.
  • rfcrfc
    edited December 2010
    nolange wrote: »
    The reason is that the installer runs as administrator and adds some stuff into the admins profile, which is then lacking in your user profile and the launchers figures theres no game installed.
    Interesting. I went out to search for that admin dir, however ... I'm the only user on the system, in C:\Users there's no administrator account. And my user is UAC'd. Any idea where those files go then?
    nolange wrote: »
    Probably some browser-cookies or similar since the launcher is run on top of IE.
    Are you sure? BTTF is using the QT Framework which embeds the Webkit rendering engine, e.g. the QtWebKit4.dll found in the Episode 1 dir.
  • edited December 2010
    I just got a ton of error messages but clicked ignore and it started loading. Hopefully this does it because i've been wasting 2 hours working on getting this to work.

Edit; Well finally got it to work it seems. I just had to ignore all those errors apparently.
  • edited December 2010
    rfc wrote: »
    Interesting. I went out to search for that admin dir, however ... I'm the only user on the system, in C:\Users there's no administrator account. And my user is UAC'd. Any idea where those files go then?

Are you sure? BTTF is using the QT Framework which embeds the Webkit rendering engine, e.g. the QtWebKit4.dll found in the Episode 1 dir.
    Nope Im not sure about anything, particularly since you are right about Webkit. The effect is the same I had with tons of web/.net apps however, the browser likely stores its settings in some folder/regkey specific to the user. As I had to login independently for running with and without admin-rights (only user in the system) its apparent the settings get stored somewhere separately
  • edited December 2010
    I take back anything I said, its a permission issue.
    If you want to run BTTF from a user account open regedit and change the permission for your user-account to full access for the following keys:

32bit windows:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Telltale Games\BackToTheFuture101.exe
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Telltale Games\BTTF

64bit windows:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Telltale Games\BackToTheFuture101.exe
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Telltale Games\BTTF

on a second though you probably still should run as administrator until the game has created the BTTF Key, else it will fail to do so during the game. (this per-user stuff should go under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER Key)
  • edited December 2010
    Right clicking and run the shortcut as administrator seems to run the game properly without re-downloading.
  • edited December 2010
    Right clicking and run the shortcut as administrator seems to run the game properly without re-downloading.

He is completely right.

As soon as I ran the shortcut "as administrator", every time I used it, The Whole Thing worked 100% great. :)
This discussion has been closed.