New patch?! Just started the game again and its downloading something:

edited December 2010 in Game Support
dunno.
I quit the game now run again after log in i clicked PLAY NOW and it started downloading something.
Something big.

I dont know if its a patch/fix or the whole game again cuz its big!
Im downloading on 1000KB/s and its not small file.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    And there was an error cuz the game was on the background you should exit it and then choose RETRY.
  • edited December 2010
    The same thing has happened to me. I had installed BTTF and played for about 20 mins with problem, so saved and quit. When I went to try and play it again, it started downloading again from the 'launcher' - but this new file has messed up my installation and now I can't get BTTF to run. Hmmm - I'll leave it for tonight, and have another go tomorrow. The game is brilliant though, from what I've seen of it.
  • edited December 2010
    perfect
  • edited December 2010
    Hmm... Yeah, it is doing the same thing to me too. I let the launcher download the file, but it wouldn't install. I realized that it looks like the game was trying to install itself again. After that, the launcher wouldn't work (none of the graphics showed up, buttons wouldn't work).

I uninstalled it and I'm preparing to try again. I'll exit out of the launcher before the installation starts. Hopefully this should do the trick.
  • edited December 2010
    Yep. This is happening for me, too.

Here's exactly what I did:
    I went to the "My Games" page and downloaded the BTTF installer from there. All 367MB of it. I then installed it. All apparently went ok.

I ran the game and the launcher asked me to log in (annoyingly). Once I had done that it then started downloading this massive file at 1200 KB/s...!

Once that was finished downloading it then executed bttf_101_setup.exe from my Documents/ folder... the file is had just downloaded. Yes, that's right, the game attempted to install itself over itself!

I compared the two bttf_101_setup.exe files (the one I downloaded from TellTaleGames.com and the one the Launcher downloaded) and they were identical...

File version: 2010.12.22.1055
    Size: 376,816 KB

Unsurprisingly this creates an error -- The installer can't overwrite BacktotheFuture101.exe -- and makes it impossible to continue.

What gives??

What with this and the bugginess of Poker Night at the Inventory, it's really shaking my faith in TellTaleGames. Did their QA dept drop the ball, or has someone decided that they don't care about fixing bugs anymore??

Also: Talk about shoddy, but BTTFs save files are stored in a folder called "Episode 1" in my Documents/TellTaleGames/ folder. Just as well they haven't done this before or there'd be a conflict with their previous games... way to go.
  • edited December 2010
    OK there's something very wrong here ... I downloaded BTTF again from the 'My Games' link, installed it and it picked up from where I had left my last game - played the game for another 20 mins without fault. Saved and exited - and I've tried to play it again from the launcher - and it wants to install the game AGAIN - this is a major bug. Telltale please help!
  • edited December 2010
    Same problem the "update" has ruined my ability to run the game. Play button does nothing now.
  • edited December 2010
    Well, I reinstalled it the 2nd time without an error, and when I boot up the launcher I can click "Play" without it downloading again, but it won't do anything once I click that button... Hmmm... I'm not really sure what to do now...

Edit: It might be a good idea to note that under the episode title, it still says "Begin Installation."

Edit 2: Uninstalled and reinstalled the game again. This time, I was able to run the game. When the launcher booted up, the note under the episode title says something like "Ready, begin the game," or something of that sort. Taking Sally's experiences into mind, I immediately exited the game and reloaded the launcher. Now the note under the title says "Now Available!" and clicking "Play" will begin the download, once again. Pretty weird... At least this sounds like something that can be fixed somehow.
  • edited December 2010
    That's exactly the same error that I'm getting. There's something wrong with the launcher. Chocolade - I don't know whether this is possible, but would you be able to Edit the title of this thread to alert the Telltale team to look in it please, so that they can amend the launcher?
  • edited December 2010
    I just posted this in another thread but it might be more appropriate here:

I had that initially but fixed it by opening the properties for the shortcut (via the right mouse menu) and choosing advanced on shortcut tab and checked the run as administrator box (though really I only did that after manually selecting run as administrator a few times). It should be noted that I'm running Windows 7, and as I don't know what you're using I don't know if this'll help at all.
  • edited December 2010
    Yep, you're right. Here's the bug in more detail:

If you install the game and then choose to RUN it immediately when you've finished (by leaving the check box ticked at the end of the installer) it will work fine -- because you're already running it as an Administrator.

Once the game is installed, however, and you decide to play it again, you need run it as an Administrator manually, otherwise the Launcher will ask you to Log In and then redownload and attempt to install the game over itself(!).

This is some particularly lazy bug testing coupled with some bad programming, unfortunately. Someone never bothered to see what happens if you uncheck the boxes at the end of the installer -- or, if they did, they never bothered to see what happens if you install it on a default Vista or Windows 7 setup.

No game (or application, for that matter) should require Administrator rights (ie. the unrestricted ability to alter the user's computer configuration) to run... and users of Vista and Windows 7 should NOT disable UAC for this very reason.

Sounds like a QA shake-up is in order if you ask me!

Short answer:
    Until TellTale fixes this bug, you need to run BTTF as an Admin if you're using Vista or Windows 7.

To do this:
    1. Right click on the game icon on your Desktop (or in your Start Menu).
    2. Select "Run As Administrator".
    3. Click "OK" in the window that appears.

You will now be able to play BTTF: Episode 1.
  • edited December 2010
    lucky you guys ... i can't even login now
  • edited December 2010
    lucky you guys ... i can't even login now

Did you actually buy the whole game?
  • edited December 2010
    Hah! Thought the exact same thing. Game sure is in need of a patch to get this business sorted out before the free episode in February (and so bad word of mouth doesn't spread). The episode itself is fantastic.
  • edited December 2010

If you install the game and then choose to RUN it immediately when you've finished (by leaving the check box ticked at the end of the installer) it will work fine -- because you're already running it as an Administrator.

Once the game is installed, however, and you decide to play it again, you need run it as an Administrator manually, otherwise the Launcher will ask you to Log In and then redownload and attempt to install the game over itself(!).

This is some particularly lazy bug testing coupled with some bad programming, unfortunately. Someone never bothered to see what happens if you uncheck the boxes at the end of the installer -- or, if they did, they never bothered to see what happens if you install it on a default Vista or Windows 7 setup.

No game (or application, for that matter) should require Administrator rights (ie. the unrestricted ability to alter the user's computer configuration) to run... and users of Vista and Windows 7 should NOT disable UAC for this very reason.

Short answer:
    Until TellTale fixes this bug, you need to run BTTF as an Admin if you're using Vista or Windows 7.

To do this:

A more appropriate solution:

Launch regedit.
    On 32-bit systems, browse to HKLM\Software\Telltale Games
    On 64-bit systems, browse to HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Telltale Games

Right-click on "BackToTheFuture101.exe" and select "Properties".
    Grant the "Users" group "full control" over the subkey and click "OK" (alternatively, you could just add the user account of the user who will be playing the game, but you should only need to do this if you want to restrict access to the game).

The game will now launch properly under a user account.

The benefits of this fix are appropriate security controls and retention of saved games under the user account.
  • edited December 2010
    Great job on getting to the specific cause of the problem!

Your solution is WAY beyond the average user here, though. I would NOT suggest that beginners start editing their registry. This may be a "safer" solution, but I don't think it's appropriate for these users.
  • edited December 2010
    Great job on getting to the specific cause of the problem!

Your solution is WAY beyond the average user here, though. I would NOT suggest that beginners start editing their registry. This may be a "safer" solution, but I don't think it's appropriate for these users.

Running the application as "Administrator" will result in saved games and settings being stored in an incorrect profile. Once the problem is fixed by the vendor, users who chose that less secure option will lose access to their saved games.
  • edited December 2010

Short answer:

To do this:

i think it also works when you install it in a different directory than program files. i did and have no problems at all. the problem with that directory in vista and 7 is, you have to have admin privileges to do changes inside it.

just install it in c:\games\bttf or something like that
  • edited December 2010
    Thank you! Running the game as Administrator fixed it for me :-)
  • edited December 2010
    Cyphox wrote: »
    i think it also works when you install it in a different directory than program files. i did and have no problems at all. the problem with that directory in vista and 7 is, you have to have admin privileges to do changes inside it.

Your assessment is incorrect. I install all games under Q:\, which is also mapped as C:\Games. Back to the Future would not launch properly until I granted the "Users" group "Full Control" of the registry key.
  • edited December 2010
    hmmm... interesting.

i did not have to change these registry setting. afair i disabled user account control (cant check right now, im not at home), maybe thats another step.

another possible solution could be to start the installation as admin, so the setup can set the registry settings the correct way right at the installation?

i'll check the permissions on the registry settings when im home
  • edited December 2010

No, this won't work. It's a registry issue, not a folder permissions issue.
    Dimensio wrote: »
    Running the application as "Administrator" will result in saved games and settings being stored in an incorrect profile. Once the problem is fixed by the vendor, users who chose that less secure option will lose access to their saved games.

No, the saved games are stored in the current user's Documents folder, so they will not be lost when this is fixed.
    hmmm... interesting.

i did not have to change these registry setting. afair i disabled user account control (cant check right now, im not at home), maybe thats another step.

another possible solution could be to start the installation as admin, so the setup can set the registry settings the correct way right at the installation?

i'll check the permissions on the registry settings when im home

This is precisely why people should not be messing with the registry. DO NOT DO THIS. You clearly do not have the knowledge required to fix anything if you change something you shouldn't. The game already runs as an Admin when you install it... otherwise it would not be able to install. Also, you should NEVER disable UAC, but since you've already done that, you do NOT need to alter your registry! (The whole point of altering the registry is so that you do not have to alter UAC/Run as Admin!)
  • edited December 2010
    This is precisely why people should not be messing with the registry. DO NOT DO THIS. You clearly do not have the knowledge required to fix anything if you change something you shouldn't. The game already runs as an Admin when you install it... otherwise it would not be able to install. Also, you should NEVER disable UAC, but since you've already done that, you do NOT need to alter your registry! (The whole point of altering the registry is so that you do not have to alter UAC/Run as Admin!)

uac is for wieners.

and i have the knowledge, im in the it-business and stuff. but as i said, i did not had to change these permissions, cause its working for me perfectly right from the start. as you said (and as i think) its because i disabled uac.

uac is evil and useless

i just checked the permissions:
    creator/owner: allowed to do NOTHING except "special permissions"
    system: full acces / read
    admins: full access / read
    users: read
  • edited December 2010
    uac is for wieners.

and i have the knowledge, im in the it-business and stuff. but as i said, i did not had to change these permissions, cause its working for me perfectly right from the start. as you said (and as i think) its because i disabled uac.

uac is evil and useless

i just checked the permissions:
    creator/owner: allowed to do NOTHING except "special permissions"
    system: full acces / read
    admins: full access / read
    users: read

If you are running under an account in the Administrators group, you are running insecurely.

If you are running under an account in the Administrators group and you have disabled UAC, you are incompetent.
  • edited December 2010
    Dimensio wrote: »
    If you are running under an account in the Administrators group, you are running insecurely.

If you are running under an account in the Administrators group and you have disabled UAC, you are incompetent.

No, u.

There's nothing wrong with this if you know what you are doing. Seriously. UAC is a hassle more than a helper. All it does is alerts you that YOU are making changes to some stupid system setting that is most likely harmless in nature.
  • edited December 2010
    Ninja wrote: »
    No, u.

There's nothing wrong with this if you know what you are doing. Seriously. UAC is a hassle more than a helper. All it does is alerts you that YOU are making changes to some stupid system setting that is most likely harmless in nature.

I run my computer securely and safely. Because I do not run under an Administrator account, unless performing system tasks, UAC does not impact my use of my computer.
This discussion has been closed.