Can't get the game to run? Keeps downloading? Fix is here!

Short answer:
Until TellTale fixes this bug, you need to run BTTF as an Administrator if you're using Vista or Windows 7.

To do this:
1. Right click on the game icon on your Desktop (or in your Start Menu).
2. Select "Run As Administrator".
3. Click "OK" in the window that appears.

You will now be able to play BTTF: Episode 1.

If you're still having problems, post in here and I'll do my best to help.

Note: If the game has already tried to install itself again (you've seen it download a big file from the Launcher and an installer appear) you probably should uninstall the game and reinstall it, to make sure the installation is "clean". (I told it to delete all my saves and preferences, too -- but you may not need to do this.)

Additional tip:
If you don't like having to Right Click on the game icon every time you run the game, you can do this instead:
1. Right click on the game icon on your Desktop (or in your Start Menu).
2. Select "Properties".
3. Select the "Compatibility" tab.
4. Check the box next to "Run this program as an administrator".
5. Click "Apply" and then "OK".

Done! You can now just double click on the game icon, like you would with any other game.

Long answer:
When you're installing the game, if you choose to RUN it immediately when you've finished (by leaving the checkbox ticked at the end of the installer) it will work fine -- the first time, at least -- because you're already running it as an Administrator.

Once the game is installed, however, and you decide to play it again, you need run it as an Administrator manually, otherwise the Launcher will ask you to Log In and then redownload and attempt to install the game over itself(!).

This is some particularly lazy bug-testing coupled with some bad programming, unfortunately. Someone never bothered to see what happens if you uncheck the boxes at the end of the installer -- or, if they did, they never bothered to see what happens if you install it on a default Vista or Windows 7 setup.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Just want to comment that this actually works. If your having any issues running the game in Win7, make sure you run it in Administrator mode and the game will launch (and not try to redownload itself). I've been playing for a couple hours so far with no problems at all.
  • edited December 2010
    Everyone keeps saying to run it as administrator and we have been NUMEROUS times. Like I said it's just not in the cards. I truly do hope everyone else has a good time playing it. I fold.
  • edited December 2010
    Everyone keeps saying to run it as administrator and we have been NUMEROUS times. Like I said it's just not in the cards. I truly do hope everyone else has a good time playing it. I fold.

What is the SPECIFIC problem you're having RIGHT NOW when you double click on the game's icon?

Also: Did you uninstall and reinstall the game from scratch, as recommended, before running the game as an Administrator?
  • edited December 2010
    Yes I did. The game runs choppy, the best way I can explain it. It jumps, sound is off, and at times it takes nearly forever to load. Like I said I've done everything that you all have recommended - I'd written it down and followed the instructions.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes I did. The game runs choppy, the best way I can explain it. It jumps, sound is off, and at times it takes nearly forever to load. Like I said I've done everything that you all have recommended - I'd written it down and followed the instructions.

Tiger. Those instructions are to be followed by those who can't work out the game at all.

You can work the game, it's being processed, but your hardware has a hard time processing it. It may be because your computer is kind of cheap, or you haven't downloaded the required hardware drivers for your computer.

Either way, I first recommend you to lower the graphics settings in-game.
  • edited December 2010

Right. Running as an Administrator is not going to help you. Nor is uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Nor is changing your OS.

You probably just need to lower the game's graphical quality settings. It sounds like they're set too high for your hardware. Just go into the "Help & Settings" menu, scroll to the "Graphics" settings. Then click "Simple" at the bottom and then choose "Low Quality".

That should help. Post back with your experience.
  • edited December 2010
    It still won't work for me. It opens but the window is black and blank except for the bar at the top with the TellTale logo. Sometimes it gives me a sign in screen but when I log in it goes black and blank again.
  • edited December 2010
    It still won't work for me. It opens but the window is black and blank except for the bar at the top with the TellTale logo. Sometimes it gives me a sign in screen but when I log in it goes black and blank again.

You need to uninstall and reinstall the game. This will fix this problem (I had it myself).
  • edited December 2010
    It's all good now. I did get it to work. Thunderpeel was right - the system was running it I just didn't have it on the right graphical settings. All is well and now currently enjoying the hell out of this fine game :)
  • edited December 2010
    I am curious. What solution is available for gamers who are security conscious and thus who do not run games under Administrator accounts because their standard user account should be sufficient for that purpose?
  • edited December 2010
    helped me a lot!! thanks!!
  • edited December 2010
    Dimensio wrote: »
    I am curious. What solution is available for gamers who are security conscious and thus who do not run games under Administrator accounts because their standard user account should be sufficient for that purpose?

There is none... Other than waiting for TellTale to fix this problem, I'm afraid.
  • edited December 2010
    Actually i'm getting exactly the same issue with Mac, once it's installed, it reinstalls and won't acknowledge that the game has actually downloaded :S
  • edited December 2010
    There is none... Other than waiting for TellTale to fix this problem, I'm afraid.

Then I have another question:

Why, exactly, would a developer code a game that can only run under the system Administrator account, in violation not only of standard security practices but also of Microsoft's own recommendations?
  • edited December 2010
    Actually i'm getting exactly the same issue with Mac, once it's installed, it reinstalls and won't acknowledge that the game has actually downloaded :S

Yeep, that's annoying :( I don't know how you elevate your privileges in OSX, but I'm not even sure it would help if I did... If you know how to force the game to run as an Administrator (so OSX prompts you for your username and password when your run it) then I'd give that a try.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2010
    Then I have another question:

Why, exactly, would a developer code a game that can only run under the system Administrator account, in violation not only of standard security practices but also of Microsoft's own recommendations?

It's a bug, there's no reason for them to do this on purpose.

For what it's worth, I'd trust these guys not to do anything "evil".
  • edited December 2010
    I think I'm experiencing a different but related issue. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. When I run the game, I get a standard window with the launcher screen with gray bars (telltale logo in the upper left), but it's darkened with white text laid over the top that says "Loading..." The problem is that it never actually loads. I've uninstalled and reinstalled many times and this is as far as I get. Running as administrator does nothing to solve the problem.

I was really looking forward to this game... such a bummer that this wasn't well tested.
  • edited December 2010
    Yeep, that's annoying :( I don't know how you elevate your privileges in OSX, but I'm not even sure it would help if I did... If you know how to force the game to run as an Administrator (so OSX prompts you for your username and password when your run it) then I'd give that a try.

Good luck!

A user who has "Administrative" privileges in OS X may run the command "sudo su -m" in a terminal window and, when prompted, enter their own password. This will launch a command-line session under the root account that will be able to communicate with the graphical user interface.

This is not a secure way to launch software, and any application requiring a user to launch it in this fashion is coded incompetently.
  • edited December 2010
    It's a bug, there's no reason for them to do this on purpose.

For what it's worth, I'd trust these guys not to do anything "evil".

I would like to know how this "bug" was not detected immediately in testing. An inability to properly launch an application should be readily apparent prior to a software release.
  • edited December 2010
    I'm getting the blank screen when I try to pull up the launcher (why does Telltale insist on putting these damn launcher programs in to guard the .exe files? Half the time I run these games, they never work and have issues launching). I'm running off of Windows Vista, I've already tried installing the game twice, and I've tried running the program as an Administrator. Nothing works. Man, you'd think Telltale would have thoroughly tested a game like this with such broad appeal. But as usual, their games are buggy (though still lovable...when they work) and we'll have to wait for them to get their act together and put out something that actually lets us play the game. :mad:
  • edited December 2010

Good luck!

Well, i'm running it on my laptop so i'm the only user. I checked security settings and I have full access, it seems to allow all software and programs to run...i'll try deleting and re-downloading. If not I my have to wait for a patch.

Damn...damn damn! :D
  • edited December 2010
    I found an actual fix for the problem.

Launch regedit.
    On 32-bit systems, browse to HKLM\Software\Telltale Games
    On 64-bit systems, browse to HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Telltale Games

Right-click on "BackToTheFuture101.exe" and select "Properties".
    Grant the "Users" group "full control" over the subkey and click "OK" (alternatively, you could just add the user account of the user who will be playing the game, but you should only need to do this if you want to restrict access to the game).

The game will now launch properly under a user account.

The benefits of this fix are appropriate security controls and retention of saved games under the user account.
  • edited December 2010
    I found an actual fix for the problem.

Launch regedit.
    On 32-bit systems, browse to HKLM\Software\Telltale Games
    On 64-bit systems, browse to HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Telltale Games

Right-click on "BackToTheFuture101.exe" and select "Properties".
    Grant the "Users" group "full control" over the subkey and click "OK" (alternatively, you could just add the user account of the user who will be playing the game, but you should only need to do this if you want to restrict access to the game).

The game will now launch properly under a user account.

The benefits of this fix are appropriate security controls and retention of saved games under the user account.

Just tried that, and I'm still getting a blank window when I try to run the launcher.
  • edited December 2010
    broodwars wrote: »
    Just tried that, and I'm still getting a blank window when I try to run the launcher.

The "black window" issue is a different problem. Some users have reported that reinstalling the game resolves it.
  • edited December 2010
    I would like to know how this "bug" was not detected immediately in testing. An inability to properly launch an application should be readily apparent prior to a software release.

I know, as an ex-games tester I'm appalled.
  • edited December 2010
    I know, as an ex-games tester I'm appalled.

The test platform may have been Windows XP under an account in the Administrators group. Such a testing platform would fail to identify the registry permission error that impacts non-Administrator accounts. As all accounts in Windows Vista and in Windows 7 other than the system Administrator account are technically not actually root accounts, this problem impacts users of those operating systems most prominently.
  • edited December 2010
    I actually took the earlier advice by deleting and re-downloading. It's working perfectly on my MacBook Pro, full graphics and shadowing at maximum resolution :) Great game!
  • edited December 2010
    I actually took the earlier advice by deleting and re-downloading. It's working perfectly on my MacBook Pro, full graphics and shadowing at maximum resolution :) Great game!

Good to hear!
  • edited December 2010
    Sad to see that there are still folks having this problem. If this thread helps you, then post a reply so that others might see it, too.
  • edited April 2011
    Nice to see in the SUPPORT forums that people are STILL having this problem... 4 months later.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.