BTTF e01: Game simply doesn't load, 'has encountered a problem'

edited December 2010 in Game Support
Hey I purchased the product and downloaded it about an hour ago. When it said episode 1 was finished downloading, I tried to start playing it, but about three seconds afterwords I received a notice saying 'we're sorry, Back to the Future episode 1 has encountered a problem and must close'. I tried double clicking it and am under an admin account in Windows. Please help. I'm using Windows XP and have never encountered any such issues with previous telltale products.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Oh and by the way, the game doesn't even go to the normal 'Telltale loader' it just stops and gives the same error message. Am trying Poker Night at the Inventory now to see if it is a recurring issue.
  • edited December 2010
    check your settings or the SYSTEM TECH page
  • edited December 2010
    And how exactly do I do that? And what specifically should I change them to?
  • edited December 2010
    And how exactly do I do that? And what specifically should I change them to?

Try turning the Graphical Quality way down... It MAY help.
  • edited December 2010
    That's not really the problem. The game won't even go to the page where I'm supposed to log in/register the title.
  • edited December 2010
    Well, Poker Night at the Inventory seems to work so I still don't get the problem...
  • edited December 2010
    That's not really the problem. The game won't even go to the page where I'm supposed to log in/register the title.

Sorry, you said you "tried to start playing it", so I assumed the game had installed and loaded perfectly fine. Are you saying the you can't even load the Launcher?
  • edited December 2010
    That is correct.
  • edited December 2010
    To be more precise, it crashes any time I try to load it.
  • edited December 2010
    Try replacing the file QtCore4.dll in the game's folder with the one from the Poker Night folder, that works for me.
  • edited December 2010
    Use Event viewer to see what the problem is and whats causing the crash.

To open Event Viewer, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer. Look at (Applications).

There you can see wether the game itself crashes or another DLL or EXE file that might be causing the crash of the game.
  • edited December 2010
    To paraphrase Doc Brown Seb.Zissou:

"It worked! I can't believe something I tried actually worked!"

Seriously though, thanks a TON. It was the Qll.core file. Hopefully, I won't have this problem in future episodes...
  • edited December 2010
    You're welcome. Actually I'm glad that the hour I spent to solve this problem which was driving me crazy (I was awake 6 am to play the game, I'm mad or what?!) is useful for someone else.

Lucky me (not really), I work as a IT technician, though temporarily unemployed :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.