Strickland's name

Oops... According to BTTF 2, Strickland's name is "S. S. Strickland"... his sister calls him something else when Marty notes his cross-dressing tendencies.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    I guess they went with this bit of trivia when they named him:

Mr. Strickland's office placard identifies him as "S.S. Strickland." While these could be his initials, it has also been speculated that it stands for "School Superintendent."
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096874/trivia?tr0994791
  • edited December 2010
    Talahar wrote: »
    I guess they went with this bit of trivia when they named him:

Mr. Strickland's office placard identifies him as "S.S. Strickland." While these could be his initials, it has also been speculated that it stands for "School Superintendent."
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096874/trivia?tr0994791
    On the other hand, in the game Marty calls him "Vice Principal". BTW, where is the bit about Strickland cross-dressing? I didn't encounter that...
  • edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    On the other hand, in the game Marty calls him "Vice Principal". BTW, where is the bit about Strickland cross-dressing? I didn't encounter that...
    Look at the pictures on Edna's wall
  • edited December 2010
    Ashki wrote: »
    Look at the pictures on Edna's wall
    Thanks.
    I only did that while she was in the kitchen. I'll try it when she's in the room next time.
  • edited December 2010
    Talahar wrote: »
    markeres wrote: »
    On the other hand, in the game Marty calls him "Vice Principal".
    I just figured it out. Strickland could have been School Superintendent in 1955 and Vice Principal in 1985. He could have gotten a promotion in the intervening years. Or Telltale could have just forgotten his name starts with S. :rolleyes:
  • edited December 2010
    Don't you mean demoted?
  • edited December 2010
    Don't you mean demoted?
    Do I? In my experience, School Superintendents usually aren't actually on school property most days and don't have an office in the school, they're usually at the school district office, especially if there's more than one school in the district. S.S. could stand for anything: School Security, Student Safety, etc. Also, I'll copy this over from Futurepedia:
    His first name had been unclear for some time. The novel for the first film refers to him as "Gerald", but his office door in Part II says "S S Strickland". The initials might refer to his title; such as a student supervisor. It is unclear whether the school superintendent, who would administer all of the district's schools, would be part of his duties. His full name was confirmed in the first episode of Back to the Future: The Game.
  • edited December 2010
    Sounds like they took some things from the novel, such as Strickland's first name, and ignored others like Doc's birth year.
  • edited December 2010
    Sounds like they took some things from the novel, such as Strickland's first name, and ignored others like Doc's birth year.

They also took Marty's paternal grandparents' names, which were kept in the novel after scenes with Arthur were removed from the script.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.