George McFly's photograph? (spoilers)

edited December 2010 in Back to the Future
Anyone figured out what it does yet? Or do you think it doesn't really do anything in this episode (and will be useful in later episodes)?

At first I thought it might have something to do with the ending. My theory is that by giving the subpoena to Arthur McFly (which probably didn't happen in the original timeline) Marty changed the history completely - maybe Kid Tennan killed Arthur because of this in order to keep his mouth shut (kind of implied in the trailer for episode 2), which will then erase George and hence Marty from existence.

It would be cool if this is true and we see George disappears from the photograph in your inventory... just like what happened to Marty in the first movie. However at the moment I'm guessing it doesn't do anything for now and will be important in later episodes..

What do you guys think about the photograph?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Yeah I imagine it will be what tells Marty is he succeeds in putting the time line right ... just like they did in the movies...

Although you would think that... if the people didnt exist... the photo wouldn't either.... always bugged me in the movie... why did the photographer take a picture of nothing?
  • edited December 2010
    As soon as we served Artie I was expecting the picture to change....
  • edited December 2010
    me too.
  • edited December 2010
    It's going to be like Elaine's wedding ring where it doesn't become important until the very end.

Calling it.
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe it will have another use. I mean, the one dissappearing is Marty, he doesn't need the picture to realize that something has changed
  • edited December 2010
    It's going to be like Elaine's wedding ring where it doesn't become important until the very end.

Calling it.

On a related note,
    Elderly Edna's remark "You've jumbled my history! Do you know how much time it will take to fix your mistake?"
    This is foreshadowing of future/past events that Marty will cause later in the series.

Calling it.
  • edited December 2010
    Gumbyfan wrote: »
    On a related note,
    Elderly Edna's remark "You've jumbled my history! Do you know how much time it will take to fix your mistake?"
    This is foreshadowing of future/past events that Marty will cause later in the series.

Calling it.

Well, it IS an important part of what's the whole BttF business is kinda about. I mean, every movie Marty jumbles up history and needs time to fix the mistakes. Actually, after Edna's remark I expected Marty to say something like 'More than anyone would want to', but he didn't. Still. Jumbling up history. No surprise. It's kinda what any BttF fan expects from the game :p
  • edited December 2010
    It'll probably have a use later on.

But I was just thinking now (I'll have to replay and try later tonight), when you have to search for Artie to serve his subpeona, since George resembles Artie you could use the photo to ask around "Have you seen this man?". But considering that there aren't that many (or any) characters around the town square, that theory is a bit of a long shot.
  • edited December 2010
    It might have a use later on, but Marty's explanation if you examine it at the beginning seems enough to me. Something about keeping on to it to remind him that even someone who seems weak can grow up to be someone better.
  • edited December 2010
    I tried to use the photo on a few people and it didn't do anything. Marty would just say "I'd better not".

It will definitely come into play later on.

I was also wondering, will you only play this series as Marty or will you change around using other characters?
  • edited December 2010
    If you examine the photo later in the game, Marty says something along the lines of not having altered the past (or the future - can't remember which).
  • edited December 2010
    Apparently no one tried to show Artie the photo instead of the subpoena... ;)
  • edited December 2010
    I'm going to go with that it's like the trilogy and like the newspaper it's used to see if the future is repaired or not. It just didn't plat into this episode and if it popped up in the inventory next episode people would cry foul.
  • edited December 2010
    snake1224 wrote: »
    Anyone figured out what it does yet? Or do you think it doesn't really do anything in this episode (and will be useful in later episodes)?

At first I thought it might have something to do with the ending. My theory is that by giving the subpoena to Arthur McFly (which probably didn't happen in the original timeline) Marty changed the history completely - maybe Kid Tennan killed Arthur because of this in order to keep his mouth shut (kind of implied in the trailer for episode 2), which will then erase George and hence Marty from existence.

It would be cool if this is true and we see George disappears from the photograph in your inventory... just like what happened to Marty in the first movie. However at the moment I'm guessing it doesn't do anything for now and will be important in later episodes..

What do you guys think about the photograph?

Emmet seemed really obedient to his father until he met Marty. It's likely that Emmet would have served him. I'm guessing its more of a butterfly effect. Whats so good about the cliff hanger is that we don't know WHAT is going to happen. Perfect way to run a serial game lol.
  • edited December 2010
    Apparently no one tried to show Artie the photo instead of the subpoena... ;)

I tried. Marty says something like this: "He is already to shocked to see a photo of his still unborn child."
  • edited December 2010
    I think it's just to show that there are stuff in your inventory and you can do stuff with them.
  • edited December 2010
    Try showing the photo to Artie instead of giving him the subpoena. :eek:
  • edited December 2010
    Sp1ke wrote: »
    Maybe it will have another use. I mean, the one dissappearing is Marty, he doesn't need the picture to realize that something has changed

"This is heavy! My hand is disappearing again, I better check that picture again to make sure that it hasn't changed!!"
  • edited December 2010

Calling it.

My thoughts exactly.
  • edited December 2010
    I think its pretty clear that at some point it will disappear.
  • edited December 2010
    BrendanK wrote: »
    But I was just thinking now (I'll have to replay and try later tonight), when you have to search for Artie to serve his subpeona, since George resembles Artie you could use the photo to ask around "Have you seen this man?". But considering that there aren't that many (or any) characters around the town square, that theory is a bit of a long shot.
    I thought I could ask Einstein to find Artie that way (family resemblance and all, why wouldn't he?) but all I got is a "I already know where dad is" (regular when trying that) "and when" (if trying in 1931)... :(
  • edited December 2010
    An excellent question. It very well could be there just to show us how the inventory system works, but I really do hope it comes into play later. That would be a nice touch.
  • edited December 2010
    If you look very carefully, you will notice that early onin the game he is grinning in the photo. By the end of the game he is definitely smirking.
  • edited December 2010
    It's pretty obvious that the picture of George will start to erase too. It has to right? His existance is in jeopardy.
  • edited December 2010
    Marty keeps the photo with him for sentimental reasons. But I'm sure it'll be important later on.
  • edited December 2010
    Masta23 wrote: »
    It's pretty obvious that the picture of George will start to erase too. It has to right? His existance is in jeopardy.

Or, it might be a necessary ingredient to open a portal to escape the Crossroads between worlds.
  • edited December 2010
    or maybe it won't disapear so artie still has george but it somehow stops george from having martymaking the story more complex.
  • edited December 2010
    Well, it could well be that Arthur lives, but Kid Tannen will die..so not becoming father to Biff..and so George McFly will not be able to beat him later on and so he will not end up with Lorraine, which in turn means Marty is history ;)

Would be a nice twist if they had to help a Tannen for a change.
  • edited December 2010
    sethf11 wrote: »
    I was also wondering, will you only play this series as Marty or will you change around using other characters?

The only other character I would want to play as is Doc.
  • edited December 2010
    Try showing the photo to Artie instead of giving him the subpoena. :eek:

What happens if you do that? Can't be bothered to play all the way thru again just to find out...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.