Poll:The New Telltale Games Launcher

edited February 2011 in Back to the Future
Wondering what everyone thinks.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Like the convenience and idea
    Hate the implication, design, log in bitch, ads, "do you want a walkthrough"
  • edited December 2010
    Well, it would be nice if you could relaunch the game without closing it and reopening it and I'd also like a remember password feature.

But if it's the reason why a certain third party DRM was not used for this release, I can't complain.
  • edited December 2010
    The thing I don't like is that I can't use shortcuts on my desktop :(
  • edited December 2010
    Considering that the launcher never actually loads my new Back to the Future game on my Windows 7 PC, I'm not very fond of it. :mad:
  • edited December 2010
    I just hate the fact, that the new launcher only works online. Just today the telltale database/site was offline for a short time and I couldn't launch my game because of this! After www.telltalegames.com was available again, the game would launch again, too. (And yes, other sites worked during the outage, it was not a network problem on my side.)

That's just annoying! Also, you can't play the game offline on a laptop in a train with this restriction. Really, customers for the most part don't like online launchers for locally installed games. One-time activation after initial installation is acceptable. But requiring online connection to your site for each game launch really annoys most customers, especially if you can't keep your site available 24x7.
  • edited December 2010
    I agree. I'm going to be on a train most of Monday, in fact, and it would have been nice to be able to use that time to play the game.

Why the change, Telltale?
  • edited December 2010
    Well, it would be nice if you could relaunch the game without closing it and reopening it and I'd also like a remember password feature.

But if it's the reason why a certain third party DRM was not used for this release, I can't complain.

what? do you have to login every time you start the launcher?`thats not the case for me, i logged in once and the launcher always connects to my account automatically
  • edited December 2010
    Krid wrote: »
    I just hate the fact, that the new launcher only works online. Just today the telltale database/site was offline for a short time and I couldn't launch my game because of this! After www.telltalegames.com was available again, the game would launch again, too. (And yes, other sites worked during the outage, it was not a network problem on my side.)

That's just annoying! Also, you can't play the game offline on a laptop in a train with this restriction. Really, customers for the most part don't like online launchers for locally installed games. One-time activation after initial installation is acceptable. But requiring online connection to your site for each game launch really annoys most customers, especially if you can't keep your site available 24x7.

I'm with footnote after logging on once, I can play bttf just fine.
    Footnote wrote: »
    I agree. I'm going to be on a train most of Monday, in fact, and it would have been nice to be able to use that time to play the game.

Why the change, Telltale?
    Cyphox wrote: »
    what? do you have to login every time you start the launcher?`thats not the case for me, i logged in once and the launcher always connects to my account automatically

Same.
  • edited December 2010
    Cyphox wrote: »

I did the first couple times. It seems saved now for whatever reason.
  • edited December 2010
    It's pretty slick.

And I got no issues like others seem to have. Just one login, and that was it, never needed to be online ever again, like all other TTG titles.
  • edited December 2010
    yep, just tested it, works fine with my network connection disabled
  • edited December 2010
    My only complaint is that the size of the window is too tall for my laptop screen. The top and bottom are cut off, and there is no (obvious) way to re-size it.
  • edited December 2010
    The new launcher is just as bad as Ubisoft DRM. You can't use CD Keys, you have to always be logged in, the window doesn't fit, it looks ugly and a bunch of other things.
  • edited December 2010
    Ninja wrote: »
    The new launcher is just as bad as Ubisoft DRM. You can't use CD Keys, you have to always be logged in, the window doesn't fit, it looks ugly and a bunch of other things.

It's nothing like the Ubi DRM. With that, the game periodically does an online check, and if you lose net connection the game stops.
    If you lose net connection with BTTF the game will still continue just fine.
  • edited December 2010
    New launcher gives constant errors to me :l

I don't like it.
  • edited December 2010
    The Launcher is epic :P I bet it stops pirating of the game...to a point
  • edited December 2010
    linorn wrote: »
    It's nothing like the Ubi DRM. With that, the game periodically does an online check, and if you lose net connection the game stops.
    If you lose net connection with BTTF the game will still continue just fine.

No but it's as bad as UBISoft DRM.
  • edited December 2010
    No but it's as bad as UBISoft DRM.

Ubisoft DRM is game-breaking. This is just an activation check (which happens only once - the first time you launch it).
  • edited December 2010
    BTTF's launcher activates once for the rest of its time installed on your computer. That's it. That's nothing like Ubisoft DRM. That's even better than Steam, which is pretty darn good.
  • edited December 2010
    BTTF's launcher activates once for the rest of its time installed on your computer. That's it. That's nothing like Ubisoft DRM. That's even better than Steam, which is pretty darn good.

Blasphemy. Try using the launcher without the series purchased (the free copy). All you get is worthless crap.
  • edited December 2010
    Blasphemy. Try using the launcher without the series purchased (the free copy). All you get is worthless crap.

That's because the free episode isn't available yet. You're talking about two completely separate issues.
  • edited December 2010
    Try using the launcher without the series purchased (the free copy). All you get is worthless crap.
    That's like complaining Steam doesn't launch a game you didn't even purchased.

Seriously, you must be kidding if that's your only complaint. It's a nice upgrade from the previous launcher TTG uses, and isn't nearly as bad as Steam's offline modus stuff... Ubi comparisons are completely laughable.
  • edited December 2010
    The last 3 posts just gave me a good chuckle.
  • edited December 2010
    No, seriously, have you tried using Steam without having games? It's even more worthless crap.

Eeeeh... and it nestles in the background when you don't even use it.

It's too hard for some users to grasp the concept of getting games for it too apparently ;).
  • edited December 2010
    I'm on the fence. If TTG works out the bugs, I could see an inclusive client being pretty cool, granted that we could purchase games from it and select different skins (ie the BTTF skin).
  • edited December 2010
    It would be nice if, after quitting the episode, I could click play again in the launcher instead of having a "go online" button (that takes me to the forums) in place of "play".
  • edited January 2011
    holmja wrote: »
    It would be nice if, after quitting the episode, I could click play again in the launcher instead of having a "go online" button (that takes me to the forums) in place of "play".

Yeah...not quite sure why TTG's launchers still have that annoying quirk.
  • edited February 2011
    holmja wrote: »

Looks to me now they've change it to do just that. Though it seems to only work for the episode that the launcher is from - I mean if you launch episode 1 in the episode 2 launcher and quit it just closes the launcher.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.