Rumours on the internets about Ep. 4

edited March 2007 in Sam & Max
I heard a little rumour from Eurogamer that Episode 4 will be just about the first one where Telltale have had the chance to actually use feedback from the games so far in making improvements to the series.

Is there any truth to that, does any one know? Since I do like the series so far, but I think there is truth in the idea that it's not quite ramping up in the way we like... yet.

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Well, they did post here that they were looking for testers several weeks back. If that is the first time they got feedback from the community before an Episode was released would be up to them to determin.

But from what I've gathered, it probably is since most of the feedback I've read is from after the past episodes have been released.
  • edited February 2007
    Yeah, I think we will see a couple changes in Episode 4. Probably the ability to combine items, and hopefully a bit of fresh paint.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2007
    It's not a rumor, it's true. :D (And it's also what I said in the email when I sent out the review copies, which is undoubtedly where Eurogamer got that idea...)

When Culture Shock came out, episodes 2 and 3 were already deep in production -- the game designs were finalized, art assets were already coming in, the script was written, and voice recording was in progress. This made it impossible for the team to make any significant changes to the games based on the reviews and player feedback for episode 1. But... at this time, episode 4 was just entering the design stage, so the feedback people gave for ep1 could be taken into account as the designers started working on episode 4.

This doesn't mean we haven't been listening to player feedback all along, because we have, but due to the schedule episode 4 is the first one that could really benefit significantly from it.
    If that is the first time they got feedback from the community before an Episode was released would be up to them to determin.

Nope, we've been doing that all along.
  • edited February 2007
    :rolleyes: I'm hoping for a score of 9.0 or more on IGN
  • edited February 2007
    I'm hoping for a score of 9.0 or more from you. :D
  • edited February 2007
    haha! :D :D :D :D :D
  • edited February 2007
    Who knows, maybe Kunkku and shadow will even praise it :D (just kidding, you two :P)
  • edited February 2007
    This is worrisome... if this episode ends up being worse than the first three, then WE ARE TO BLAME!

I can't handle this. You TTG people are putting so much pressure on us the fans.
  • edited February 2007
    Derwin wrote: »
    This is worrisome... if this episode ends up being worse than the first three, then WE ARE TO BLAME!

I can't handle this. You TTG people are putting so much pressure on us the fans.

From playing the game during the focus group, I wasn't disappointed in episode 4
  • edited February 2007
    doom saber wrote: »
    From playing the game during the focus group, I wasn't disappointed in episode 4

So you're saying we can blame it all on YOU, then? ;)
  • edited February 2007
    Kefky wrote: »
    So you're saying we can blame it all on YOU, then? ;)

I guess you can partly blame it on all the volunteers(myself included) if it sucks. LOL However, Telltale was close to finishing the game, so I doubt they will use all the feedback given
  • edited February 2007
    Hero1 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: I'm hoping for a score of 9.0 or more on IGN

The review prediction industry (yeah, such absurd things exist) is predicting a 7.3 and 7.1.
  • edited February 2007
    I disagree with that. I bet it'll be a 95%, the best one yet. :D
  • edited February 2007
    numble wrote: »
    The review prediction industry (yeah, such absurd things exist) is predicting a 7.3 and 7.1.

I hope that site will survive the disappointment.
  • edited March 2007
    jp-30 wrote: »
    I'm hoping for a score of 9.0 or more from [Hero1]. :D

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/sammaxepisode4/player_review.html?id=428842

Close... 8.9
  • edited March 2007
    Diduz wrote: »
    I hope that site will survive the disappointment.

Don't worry, we'll survive. =) We're quite certain that we'll be completely wrong from time to time, and I'm actually really happy that this episode appears to have exceeded our expectations. It's always a nice surprise to see that a developer has actually proven us wrong (in a good way). Although I wouldn't count us completely out just yet... the Gamerankings score (our only benchmark for the time being) so far is 7.7, a bit better than we predicted, but not hugely so...

We came pretty close with Sonic and the Secret Rings, and were (unfortunately) way off on our SSX Blur prediction (turns out the game is far more divisive than we expected... more on that in our post-review soon). In any case, we do realize it's sort of "absurd" in a way, but it's all for fun really... My co-editor and I were just sick of sort of predicting scores amongst ourselves without another outlet. =)

Thanks for reading!

-Jeff
    http://alinktothefuture.com
  • edited March 2007
    numble wrote: »

That's a reader review... the actual Gamespot review is 7.3.
  • edited March 2007
    leshrac55 wrote: »
    That's a reader review... the actual Gamespot review is 7.3.

HieroHero = Hero1
  • edited March 2007
    I can't believe gamespot only gave it a 7.3 thats below situation comedy..come on now.. IGN has giving ep4 an 8.0 http://pc.ign.com/articles/769/769639p1.html
  • edited March 2007
    I can't believe gamespot only gave it a 7.3 thats below situation comedy..come on now.. IGN has giving ep4 an 8.0 http://pc.ign.com/articles/769/769639p1.html

I have learned not to trust such sites anymore. For some reason, they usually don't agree with me and overrate games I feel weren't that great and underrate games I think are really great. Either the kind of people who evaluate/review games in general, as their job, have a very different taste in games or they have a very different definition of what a good game is than me. Either that or these people just doesn't like the kind of games I like.
  • edited March 2007
    IGN has giving ep4 an 8.0
    IGN gives everything an 8.0! :D

Like marsan said, you just can't really trust those review sites. It all boils down to if you like a certain game or not. Some people really love licensed games that get a 5.5 on review sites, and I'm sure there's also people out there who absolutely hate Zelda. However, if you do want to find out what a game is like, go to www.gamefaqs.com. The user reviews there are by people who have actually played the games, and who are actually gamers.
  • edited March 2007
    I think episode 4 deserves a 90%, I give episode 1 a 92% but that's because it has the benefit of just plain being the first one. :p
  • edited March 2007
    I think it's sad how the rating just seems to go down more and more... Personally I think that the episodes are being better and better every time, I'm even alittle bit scared about how good the fifth episode must be.
  • edited March 2007
    fajerkaos wrote: »
    I think it's sad how the rating just seems to go down more and more... Personally I think that the episodes are being better and better every time, I'm even alittle bit scared about how good the fifth episode must be.

I have a feeling it will be good enough for a 63% from gamespot... which means it will be better then episode 4 (judging on how backwards their rating system apparently is).

I agree that you have to take every review with a grain of salt, as a single review likely had a single reviewer with a single set of biases. In the case of the episode 4 review on gamespot, I recommend rock salt.
  • edited March 2007
    I think Episode 6 will be so good, our collective heads will explode after playing it, therefor completing telltale's first step in world domination...

I think the lower rankings are a self defence mechanism by the gaming sites, trying to make the casualty numbers as low as possible...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.