Back to the Future crashes on my Mac

Everything seems to work well, but then when I click on "Play Now" the screen disappears and it exits out of Back to the Future.

Any help/suggestions?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    i know what you mean ... the only thing im getting in is the menu ... if i click NEW GAME, then it crashes and goes right up back to Windows ...

im on WIN XP PC ... any help? ...
  • edited December 2010
    The game also totally crashes on my Macbook Pro late 2010. i5. Everytime I press Play Now. The music starts and then everything crashes. The music skips. and loops a fragment of it. The screen goes black and nothing happens except for the annoying skipping music. Nothing works. Not even the Caps Lock button. I have to force shut down my computer to get anywhere.

But yesterday I was able to play it for a little while. And sometimes I get to the menu even. But the second I press the continue button. Darkness comes and get me end my dear macbook.

I sent a mail to the telltale support. They told me to download the newest version that they just posted. Didn´t work though.

Is there any way to check if there is something wrong with the graphics card on Macbook Pro?
  • edited December 2010
    I don't even get a play now button. I get the initial game screen, and it's managed to load the news feed, but it doesn't have any episodes listed or anything in the main content area aside from Marty and the Delorian. I'd like to play it, I really would, but there's nothing to do.

OS X SnowL
  • edited December 2010
    Yep, same for me :(

I start the game, hit the 'Play' button and the app immediately crashes.
    MacBook Pro late 2008, OSX 10.6.5.

I was really looking forward to playing this game...
  • edited December 2010
    Crashing as soon as I click "PLAY", iMac Core2Duo with nVidia GeForce 8800GS, 10.6.5, 4GB RAM
  • edited December 2010
    Same as above! (same spec mac too)

Please help!
  • edited December 2010
    Same here. Click Play, Crash.

This is what I get if I start it from the terminal:

Mac_Game(43828,0xb0514000) malloc: *** error for object 0x3bbe970: pointer being freed was not allocated
    *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
  • edited December 2010
    I was having the same problem. I took the advice of another poster and removed the spaces from the file name and it worked for me. I shortened the file name to "BackToTheFuture101" and it works fine.
  • edited December 2010
    thuygia wrote: »
    The game also totally crashes on my Macbook Pro late 2010. i5. Everytime I press Play Now. The music starts and then everything crashes. The music skips. and loops a fragment of it. The screen goes black and nothing happens except for the annoying skipping music. Nothing works. Not even the Caps Lock button. I have to force shut down my computer to get anywhere.

But yesterday I was able to play it for a little while. And sometimes I get to the menu even. But the second I press the continue button. Darkness comes and get me end my dear macbook.

I sent a mail to the telltale support. They told me to download the newest version that they just posted. Didn´t work though.

Is there any way to check if there is something wrong with the graphics card on Macbook Pro?

You are not alone on this issue - late 2010 core i7 15 inch here... same symptoms.
  • edited December 2010
    and then someone say its my fault dont be so angry @ telltale i am sorry i am so dissapointed from this publisher that it was my last game from telltale game if u even dont use stretch test for the game i am sorry that u guys go down with your company a friend of mine would buy it i did not rather to buy it because i click and then i see the fluxcompensator thats all i did see for my 17€
    its on Win7 so i think its major problem from this game that it crash and where someone of u guys i did see no sorry nothing that whe will fix it only people crying like me and someguys who try to help us.......

sorry if i am such a angry-nerd but this must be said and thats the point.
  • edited January 2011
    Update: TellTale managed to fix my nothing-working-at-all issue by fixing problems with my account's ownership of the title. Now I've managed to play up until just after the rocket mini-game; where upon it crashes as per the above. Complete freeze, have to turn off the computer to get out of it. It's crashed 4 times in a row now, in the exact same point - and there's nothing I can do to get out of it. Sorely disappointed.
  • edited January 2011
    Im crashing after the rocket mini game as well HARD CRASH !
  • edited January 2011
    Hi,

After the Rocket Drill Mini Game, the game crashes and I have to tun off my computer, I have tried several times and always happens the same. Is there any solution?

Fran.
  • edited January 2011
    thuygia wrote: »

The same thing happens to me - I contacted telltale support, kinda got nowhere.. Its a kernel panic, it happens with monkey island too but sam and max season 2 works fine.

There is something wrong with their d3d wrapper or whatever they are using and the nvidia chipset in the newer macbook pros.

The same thing also happens if I boot up into windows via boot camp. ...

Please TellTale - it's not just me - please address this issue!

Chris
  • edited January 2011
    cferra wrote: »
    The same thing happens to me - I contacted telltale support, kinda got nowhere.. Its a kernel panic, it happens with monkey island too but sam and max season 2 works fine.

There is something wrong with their d3d wrapper or whatever they are using and the nvidia chipset in the newer macbook pros.

The same thing also happens if I boot up into windows via boot camp. ...

Please TellTale - it's not just me - please address this issue!

Chris

Ok here is how I got the game to run - first download gfxcardstatus - google for the url - then, use it to switch to intel only mode - the game will run, now go to settings, - configure the quality settings to 6 - any higher will cause a game crash - set screen size and then quit the game - then use the gfxcardstatus too to switch back to dynamic mode and then re run the game. the game will now use the nvidia chipset and function. albeit with reduced eyecandy.. but its better than not playing at all. There is a graphics issue somewhere, but I don't think that it is my machine. Just incase I have an appointment with apple repair tomorrow to check it out.

Chris
  • edited February 2011
    Still crashing guess ill skip the rest of episode 1 and try 2 thanks for nothing....telltalegames
  • edited February 2011
    mactv wrote: »
    Still crashing guess ill skip the rest of episode 1 and try 2 thanks for nothing....telltalegames

Did you try turning down the graphics quality? That has worked for everyone I've talked to.
  • edited March 2011
    Apologies if this has already been asked but will the game run on the new i5 macbook pro 13" with hd3000 intel graphics? Ive been waiting for this one... Please let me know so I can buy as im a big fan of the series :)

J
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited March 2011
    SkyFire wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been asked but will the game run on the new i5 macbook pro 13" with hd3000 intel graphics? Ive been waiting for this one... Please let me know so I can buy as im a big fan of the series :)

J

You can try the first episode for free by registering here.
  • edited March 2011
    Macfly77 wrote: »
    You can try the first episode for free by registering here.

Thanks for that tip - v.much appreciated!! Just downloaded it, it runs perfectly and is a fantastic game so far!!
  • edited June 2011
    my bttf the game when danny parker disappears and then Marty and doc look around the corner it crashes at the same point and nobody has any footage after that online any clue what is wrong anyone and my graphics are on the lowest possible setting too.
This discussion has been closed.