Where's the dancing?

edited February 2007 in Sam & Max
One of those "unseen" clips of Sam & Max Freelance Police on Youtube, shows Sam & Max dancing to various songs, similar to that one part in the official trailer for the game, only with music. This video is right here.

I'd love to see that in one of the upcoming Sam & Max episodes, so I guess this one goes on that humongous list along with putting in a Snuckey's and so forth. :)

P.S. My favorite part in that video is at the end with Max breakdancing, lol.

Comments

• edited February 2007
    One oft-repeated remark is that many things from the old Hit the Road (Snuckey's, secondary characters, story ideas, etc) and the unreleased sequel are the intellectual property of Lucasarts and can not be used in Telltale's treatment of the license.
  • edited February 2007
    numble wrote: »
    One oft-repeated remark is that many things from the old Hit the Road (Snuckey's, secondary characters, story ideas, etc) and the unreleased sequel are the intellectual property of Lucasarts and can not be used in Telltale's treatment of the license.

BUT at the same time S&M Season 1 has made at least several allusions to the Freelance Police trailer - Jimmy the hand looks and behaves very much like the rats running with guns, the glass ball from the dancing sequence hangs from the ceiling in "Embarrassing Idol" - actually, these subtle references are my favourites.
  • edited February 2007
    Er... the glass ball is a disco ball, and they're a pretty common lighting instrument for dance locations. Just FYI :)
  • edited February 2007
    marlow wrote: »
    BUT at the same time S&M Season 1 has made at least several allusions to the Freelance Police trailer - Jimmy the hand looks and behaves very much like the rats running with guns, the glass ball from the dancing sequence hangs from the ceiling in "Embarrassing Idol" - actually, these subtle references are my favourites.

In the trailer, the rat was generic and I doubt he had any role in the actual game. Think of him as a protoform? for Jimmy.
  • edited February 2007
    Tabacco - apparently my English vocab is not as good as it should be, but I know about the use of disco balls. Still, I thought introducing one of the most characteristic objects from the original trailer counted as an allusion. Alas.
    doom saber - yes, the rats are pretty generic, but they're running with guns, which seems to build a connection with Jimmy&the skinbodies in the second episode (weren't they running around with guns as well?).
    So much for defending myself:).
    And, as Bosco would say, the subtlest allusions are those that aren't actually there.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2007
    Episode 2 has a disco ball! Is that not enough for you?
  • edited February 2007
    doom saber wrote: »
    In the trailer, the rat was generic and I doubt he had any role in the actual game. Think of him as a protoform? for Jimmy.

Rats are prevalent in the comics, and it's not like LucasArts has some patent on rats anyway. What Telltale (I assume) can't do is re-use character designs made at LucasArts (or make characters that are strikingly similar), use specific story or puzzle ideas that were developed at LucasArts, or anything that's blatantly a copy of something that is technically LucasArts property. If Telltale wanted Sam & Max do have a dancing scene, I'm sure they could do it. They just probably couldn't call it "Jump, Jive and Flail" and have it set at a high school in a competition against a gang of delinquents.
  • edited February 2007
    I notice there are streets in the game! There were streets in the original game! Must be an allusion, or my name is not Harry Lime!
    edited February 2007
    Yes we were referencing the classic "Sam & Max," by Steve Purcell.
  • edited February 2007
    My idealistic naïveté has been shattered, Jake. Your unabashed cynicism just suckerpunched me, why, as if this were the internet!
  • edited February 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Episode 2 has a disco ball! Is that not enough for you?

Are you suggesting that
    there won't be any disco balls in Abe Lincoln Must Die
    ? Awwwwww.
    edited February 2007
    Episode 4 is built wholly out of disco balls.
  • edited February 2007
    Kingsley wrote: »
    I notice there are streets in the game! There were streets in the original game! Must be an allusion, or my name is not Harry Lime!

:D

Could you post something funny in a thread titled "I'm sorry Telltale, but you've failed (kind of)", please? It's begging for it!

--Erwin
  • MelMel
    edited February 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Episode 4 is built wholly out of disco balls.

That makes me all tingly inside... :o
  • edited February 2007

Actually, LucasArts dropped all their rights when they cancelled Freelance Police. Telltale should be free to put in a Snuckey's, unless I'm mistaken.
    Rats are prevalent in the comics, and it's not like LucasArts has some patent on rats anyway. What Telltale (I assume) can't do is re-use character designs made at LucasArts (or make characters that are strikingly similar), use specific story or puzzle ideas that were developed at LucasArts, or anything that's blatantly a copy of something that is technically LucasArts property. If Telltale wanted Sam & Max do have a dancing scene, I'm sure they could do it. They just probably couldn't call it "Jump, Jive and Flail" and have it set at a high school in a competition against a gang of delinquents.

I remember reading somewhere that they threw away all their Sam & Max property, so it's not LucasArts property. And by the way, how do you know what it was called and what it was for in Freelance Police? Former LucasArts employee? (lol)
  • edited February 2007
    I think it's unfair if they couldn't use Flint Paper he's heavily featured in the comics..
  • edited February 2007
    Couldn't use or didn't use?

(If it's the former case, -- Have I missed something?)

--Erwin
    edited February 2007
    Flint Paper is currently filed under "didn't."
  • edited February 2007
    Isn't Flint's office gone? The whole building seems to have been refitted sometime after "Hit the Road".

I mean, sure he could be downstairs or something now. Oh, and isn't there a stick figure drawing of him on the office wall? Or is that someone else?
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2007
    P.S. My favorite part in that video is at the end with Max breakdancing, lol.

Breakdancing? Pah! What Sam & Max needs is a Bollywood episode!
    edited February 2007
    actcenter3.jpg It's Flint. There are other doors right outside their office door... so who knows if one of them is Flint Paper's?
  • edited February 2007
    Actually, LucasArts dropped all their rights when they cancelled Freelance Police. Telltale should be free to put in a Snuckey's, unless I'm mistaken.

I remember reading somewhere that they threw away all their Sam & Max property, so it's not LucasArts property. And by the way, how do you know what it was called and what it was for in Freelance Police? Former LucasArts employee? (lol)

Telltale employees have mentioned several times that Lucasarts-created story ideas and other elements (including music) from both Hit the Road and the cancelled sequel can not be used (Steve Purcell's independent ideas--Flint, rats, etc. are wide open, however). Jesse James hand gets a pass, I think because Jesse James is an actual historical person.
  • edited February 2007
    Oh cool. I guess I'll put in my bid to see Mack Salmon and Flint Paper in season 2 then.
  • edited February 2007
    Telltale employees have mentioned several times that Lucasarts-created story ideas and other elements (including music) from both Hit the Road and the cancelled sequel can not be used (Steve Purcell's independent ideas--Flint, rats, etc. are wide open, however). Jesse James hand gets a pass, I think because Jesse James is an actual historical person.

If that is the case for Jesse James, I wonder how the guy with the facet head got passed. Was he originally in a sam and max comic or is the contract doesn't cover him for being a background character in hit the road?

In regards to another post, the streets and the buildings has been refitted since the door in the office is on the wall where the dartboard was at in hit the road.

Also, buildings were either added or removed between the cancelled game and the telltale ones. Check out the scene where that chick is walking down the block. Instead of an empty lot, there is another building that is next to the s and m office.

Speaking of the mysterious lady, it appears from the walking animation of Max, that he slept with him. furthermore, she looks a bit like Sybil.
  • edited February 2007
    doom saber wrote: »
    Speaking of the mysterious lady, it appears from the walking animation of Max, that he slept with him. furthermore, she looks a bit like Sybil.

So thats how Lagomorphae walk like afterwards? Hm.. Post coital walking? Interresting! *gg* But Sybil sleeping with Sams imagrinary Friend? BTW. Is there any evidence except unnessercary violence taht Max IS real?

Edit: I mean real in the Game...
  • edited February 2007
    So thats how Lagomorphae walk like afterwards? Hm.. Post coital walking? Interresting! *gg* But Sybil sleeping with Sams imagrinary Friend? BTW. Is there any evidence except unnessercary violence taht Max IS real?

Edit: I mean real in the Game...

Characters have spoken to Max directly, so I assume he's not really a figment of Sam's imagination. (Would be disappointing if he was)
  • edited February 2007
    Thats what they want you to believe... ;-)
  • edited February 2007
    Thats what they want you to believe... ;-)

Shagge is right. Even Sybil can see and hear Max as mentioned in ep 1. Just that she doesn't want to believe he is real and thinks she is right because of her creditionals.

Furthermore, you can tell that Sybil is talkin out of her $#% during her psychology examinations on Sam in episode one. So don't think what she say is true.
  • edited February 2007
    I would love to Flint pop up somewhere, and I'm hoping next season we'll see some of the comic villains, I'd like to see Mack Salmon and The Geek.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.