"Feathers on the forehead"?

Occasionally when you lose a hand, Tycho will say something like "You should come to our feathers on the forehead night"? What does this mean? Is it referring to something that happened in one of the Penny Arcade comics? Some turn of phrase I'm not aware of? I did a Google search but couldn't find anything except lots of sites and articles about birds. So, does anyone know?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    I've never seen anything about that in Penny Arcade, and I've read all of them
  • edited December 2010
    I have no idea, although i do know that your post is the first to come up on google when searching feathers on the forehead.
  • edited December 2010
    Good to know I'm not the only one absolutely baffled by that line...:confused:
  • edited December 2010
    I think he's just trying to imply that if you're that pathetic, you should play a game where there's extremely little risk involved, as there would be in a game of feathers on the forehead, since feathers are fragile and soft and therefore any game involving them would probably just be tickling or something.
  • edited December 2010
    Kyronea wrote: »
    I think he's just trying to imply that if you're that pathetic, you should play a game where there's extremely little risk involved, as there would be in a game of feathers on the forehead, since feathers are fragile and soft and therefore any game involving them would probably just be tickling or something.

If that's the case that's the most... idiotic and childish insult I've ever heard. Which fits Tycho perfectly. Okay, this explanation has pleased me.
  • edited December 2010
    Kyronea wrote: »
    Thanks for the explanation. I kind of figured it meant something like this, but I also wondered if it referred to something that specifically happened in Penny Arcade.
    Falanca wrote: »
    If that's the case that's the most... idiotic and childish insult I've ever heard. Which fits Tycho perfectly.
    Ha! :D
  • edited December 2010
    I was thinking something about Blind man's bluff / Indian poker for this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_man%27s_bluff_%28poker%29
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah that's what I thought, that poker kind you played in Mole, Mob and Meatball.
  • edited December 2010
    Is that game ever actually called "Feathers on the forehead", though?
  • edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    Is that game ever actually called "Feathers on the forehead", though?

No, but its been called forehead stud so its kind of close. I don't know what to believe until we get an official explanation.
  • edited December 2010
    Wait a minute.

Feathers on the forehead?

Indian Poker?

Why hasn't anyone made this connection yet?
  • edited December 2010
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    Wait a minute.

Feathers on the forehead?

Indian Poker?

Why hasn't anyone made this connection yet?
    They have: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=430521&postcount=8.

I'm still not convinced this is the real explanation, yet. Not unless someone can tell me if Indian Poker is ever actually called "Feathers on the Forehead".
  • edited December 2010
    It's not called "feathers on the forehead", it's what Indians / Native Americans wear on their heads in stereotypes, hence, "feathers on the forehead".

Look at that picture, and what does he wear on his head? Exactly.

Seriously, am I really the only one getting this connection?
  • edited December 2010
    Seriously, am I really the only one getting this connection?
    Seriously, you're not. But, seriously, Tycho specifically says "'Feathers on the Forehead' night" like he's talking about a game he plays that's actually called "Feathers on the Forehead". Which is why I started this thread, to find out if there is actually a game called that, if it's just a figure of speech, or if it refers to something from Penny Arcade. So far, Kyronea's explanation is the best I've heard, unless somebody can confirm that more people in the world than just Tycho ever call Indian Poker "Feathers on the Forehead".
  • edited January 2011
    When people call "Nerd Night", it's not because they organize a night for only nerds, they call it that because, for example, they refer to playing video games, which is not a nerd-exclusive activity.
  • edited January 2011
    When people call "Nerd Night", it's not because they organize a night for only nerds, they call it that because, for example, they refer to playing video games, which is not a nerd-exclusive activity.
    /Strong Bad-mode on

This thread is turning into a nerd-exclusive activity...

/Strong Bad-mode off
  • edited January 2011

Well, our college's anime club calls it "Geek Night" but that's mainly to make fun of the Greeks. :p
  • edited January 2011
    It could be the game where you put a feather (or pen or whatever) point down on your forehead and try to keep it balanced and upright.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.