BTTF Launcher is crap!

edited January 2011 in Game Support
I really liked this game (although it was a little short and easy) but I still don't like the new launcher. The Window resolution is wrong (running in 1024x768) and it seems that you NEED to log in - I didn't see the possibility to unlock the game using the serial. Since the TTG Servers the last days went on and off every five minutes I really like to have the opportunity to unlock the game using the serial im my account (which I can save in a txt Datei off line). So please bring back the old launcher I was used to and which worked nearly perfectly!

Comments

• edited December 2010
    you just need to login once, after doing so you can offline without any problems.

try it, deactivate your internet connection and see if the game starts...
  • edited December 2010
    Run As Admin at least once while online.
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah, run as admin once.

Failing that, you may need to uninstall and then reinstall the game. The launcher failboated on me initially, but after a reinstall it's been working fine ever since.
  • edited December 2010
    But there still is no possibilty to use unlock via serial number as ist was in all the other games. I experienced such situation just today with Wallace and Gromit. Downloaded tthe new episode and then the site went down and I couldn't login anymore so that I could not unlock the game. I used the seriel Number from my order confirmation and STILL was able to unlock the game even the Telltale Site was not available. I really don't want to depend on the Telltale Site even though I only need to be online once - that's especially if the server goes down that miuch as it happened the last days!
  • edited December 2010
    Cyphox wrote: »
    you just need to login once, after doing so you can offline without any problems.

I know this - it is only one reg entry which can be exported so why can't I use the serial number it is not more or less safe because I could easy export the reg entry and give it to others if I wanted (which I don't ;)).
  • edited December 2010
    yeah, but those guys would all login with YOUR account and you wouldnt want that, would you :p

but yeah, atm the serial seems to be pretty useless
  • edited December 2010
    yeah, but those guys would all login with YOUR account and you wouldnt want that, would you :p

They wouldn't need my account at all because after having the reg entry no online activation is nessescary any more. My point is: the only reason to not use the serial nr. for activating the game could be because it is not as safe as using yout login. But if I can achieve the same thing by just usig a reg key then there's no point in not be able to use serial login anymore. For me as customer it always is a good alternative to use serial login if the server is not available the time I want to (first) unlock my game. I wouldn't have a problem with that but given that the servers went down several times I just want to have that alternative.
  • edited December 2010
    Naaaaa. I liked it.
  • edited December 2010
    MarkoH01 wrote: »
    They wouldn't need my account at all because after having the reg entry no online activation is nessescary any more. My point is: the only reason to not use the serial nr. for activating the game could be because it is not as safe as using yout login. But if I can achieve the same thing by just usig a reg key then there's no point in not be able to use serial login anymore. For me as customer it always is a good alternative to use serial login if the server is not available the time I want to (first) unlock my game. I wouldn't have a problem with that but given that the servers went down several times I just want to have that alternative.

okay, just checked, your right, doesnt matter at all what you put in those reg-entries.

great copy protection telltale.... well done....

edit: forget it, you have to log in at least ONCE with correct account data to make this "hack" work. so just using these reg-entries doesnt work.
  • edited December 2010
    I think it's an improvement upon the previous launcher. No outsider DRM, looking slick... only seeing improvements upon the old launchers.
  • edited December 2010
    okay, just checked, your right, doesnt matter at all what you put in those reg-entries.

great copy protection telltale.... well done....

edit: forget it, you have to log in at least ONCE with correct account data to make this "hack" work. so just using these reg-entries doesnt work.

You log in once and then you export the reg Key - no problem in this. So where's the copy protection? I really want the serial unlocking back - that is my main complain.
  • edited December 2010
    I think it's an improvement upon the previous launcher. No outsider DRM, looking slick... only seeing improvements upon the old launchers.

Old launcher didn't have DRM.
  • edited December 2010
    You log in once and then you export the reg Key - no problem in this. So where's the copy protection? I really want the serial unlocking back - that is my main complain.

maybe im wrong, but afair unlocking with the serial number also requires an online connection.

the way to completely unlock the game OFFLINE is using the offline activation request code together with the activation code you get from telltale (when asking for a offline activation code, blah). and this complete offline activation is still available, try it, delete the reg keys, disconnect your internet and start the launcher

...correct me if im wrong.
  • edited December 2010
    Old launcher didn't have DRM.
    It uses SECU-ROM.

You call that 'no DRM'??? :eek:
  • edited December 2010
    maybe im wrong, but afair unlocking with the serial number also requires an online connection.

the way to completely unlock the game OFFLINE is using the offline activation request code together with the activation code you get from telltale (when asking for a offline activation code, blah). and this complete offline activation is still available, try it, delete the reg keys, disconnect your internet and start the launcher

...correct me if im wrong.

As I said - I unlocked my Wallace and Gromit Game via serial in a moment where the servers went down - so theoretically it have to work off line. But maybe I'll try this a second time after uninstalling the game.
  • edited December 2010
    It uses SECU-ROM.

You call that 'no DRM'??? :eek:

You're sure? As of this moment I thought that Securom is only used with CD/DVD and not online. I really didn't know this.
  • edited December 2010
    You're sure? As of this moment I thought that Securom is only used with CD/DVD and not online. I really didn't know this.

Securom 7 has an online version and I'm 1 billion percent positive the older telltale games use it. SBCG4AP using the worst implementation of it that I know of among the older releases.
  • edited January 2011

I just need to login once, do I? I've started my game up on three separate occasions, and each time I've been forced to connect to the internet! When I'm offline (AFTER activating the game initially) and I click "PLAY" it just sits there and does nothing. So, I connect to the internet, click "PLAY" and it finally starts. Please tell me you're kidding with me Telltale. What's REALLY going on here? After activating the game, there must be some kind of "timer" counting days. If I don't play the game for several days, then it seems that I have to re-activate the game again. And again. And again. And a-freakin-gain. Why have I been forced to activate my game 3 times now? Please tell me I'm not understanding something here. Because I really, seriously, do not want to add Telltale to my list of publishers to avoid. I will have nothing to do with publishers who subject my SINGLE-player games to ridiculous DRM rules. What in the flip is going on with your DRM?
  • edited January 2011
    Blame UAC.

Run it ONCE as administrator and your problems dissapear forever, like they do with us.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2011
    I know this - it is only one reg entry which can be exported so why can't I use the serial number it is not more or less safe because I could easy export the reg entry and give it to others if I wanted (which I don't ;)).

The serial number in the older game and older launcher still requires an online connection once, just like a login. The login in the W&G launcher, for instance, literally sends a request to the server for your serial number, and gives that to the game. The game then validates the serial number with the server and unlocks. You entering the serial number manually only skips the first half of that. It still always validates online against the serial number registry on our server.
  • edited January 2011
    Jake wrote: »
    The serial number in the older game and older launcher still requires an online connection once, just like a login. The login in the W&G launcher, for instance, literally sends a request to the server for your serial number, and gives that to the game. The game then validates the serial number with the server and unlocks. You entering the serial number manually only skips the first half of that. It still always validates online against the serial number registry on our server.

So I must have been lucky and I was connected to the server at the moment the serial activation worked...a few seconds before there was no server connection possible. Anyway: thank you for explaining that for me. Anyway: the Launcher still is too big and does have the wrong resolution (close window appears outside of screen using 1024x768).
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2011
    the Launcher still is too big and does have the wrong resolution (close window appears outside of screen using 1024x768).

That I can agree with. Sorry!
  • edited January 2011
    People still use those small screens these days?

And here I was thinking I was waaaaaay behind with my 19"...
This discussion has been closed.