Help with system requirements.

edited April 2012 in Game Support
So I just got Sam & Max and Poker Night & the Inventory and....... I can't play any of them.

I'm operating on a standard Windows XP so assume all graphics settings and installments are the default ones. What do you reccommend would fix it?

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2010
    If you post a dxdiag log i can take a look at your system.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited December 2010
    Here you go. Now what?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Card name: Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (16 bit) (60Hz)
    Driver Date/Size: 7/30/2004 14:19:52, 37951 bytes

Description: SoundMAX Digital Audio
    Date and Size: 6/23/2004 13:42:46, 266880 bytes

Intel graphics are not supported for these games. Also your drivers are really old.

You might get it to run by setting the color depth to 32 bit.

You can also try to get some new drivers using the ThinkVantage System Update tool.
  • edited December 2010
    That didn't work, if it help, I get this message:
    Could not initialize Direct3D
    Make sure you have current video drivers and
    close any other applications that might be running.
    You will need a video card that supports at least pixel shader version 1.4.

Unfortunately, this error can not be recovered.

Are there any good cards I could purchase to get these games and others to run better?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Are there any good cards I could purchase to get these games and others to run better?

There are plenty, but usually that's not an option with notebooks. Do you have a desktop PC too, or just this notebook?
  • edited December 2010
    Just bought BTTF and tried to play it last night. Got this message:

Make sure you have current video drivers and
    close any other applications that might be running.
    You will need a video card that supports at least pixel shader version 1.4

I am running a Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB Card with updated drivers.
  • edited December 2010
    I do, but let's consider that a last resort, as it's not convinient and doesn't play sound. Some suggestions of cards would be appreciated quite a bit, since I might try out Steam sometime as well.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2010
    hsquad71 wrote: »
    Just bought BTTF and tried to play it last night. Got this message:

Do you have multiple displays running?
    I do, but let's consider that a last resort, as it's not convinient and doesn't play sound. Some suggestions of cards would be appreciated quite a bit, since I might try out Steam sometime as well.

Updating a desktops graphics card is in most cases trivial.

With notebooks it is rarely possible, and if so, relatively expensive. You would have to closely look for an individual solution for your model.
  • edited January 2011
    yes, i have 2 displays running. should i only project on 1? would that cause the error?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2011
    hsquad71 wrote: »
    yes, i have 2 displays running. should i only project on 1? would that cause the error?

It can.
    First make sure, that your display color depth is set to 32 bit though.
  • edited April 2012
    Hi,

I recently acquired the game Puzzle Agent for the pc on Steam.
    Upon installing, I tried to start the game up and got the message about my videocard not being able to support the version of pixel shader the game uses.

Bums me out a little because my card meets the required specifications.

It's an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440. It's a weird card, one that i can find any new driver's for. I'm sure that's the problem why the game doesn't work. But i cant seem to find any drivers newer then 2005/2006.

It meets the requirements.
    on steam, Puzzle Agent has "Graphics: 64MB DirectX 8.1-compliant video card" for a video card requirement.

If you look on here, its does meet the memory it asks for.

Any help would be great.
    I'm scared of downloading the wrong video drivers and crashing my pc. If anyone can point me to a driver for my card, it would be awesome. :)

Im running Windows XP, and i also updated my DirectX.

The game doesnt even start. :(
  • edited April 2012
    That card is a legacy device for Nvidia and doesn't support the pixel shader version used by most modern games. Unfortunately, there's nothing we would be able to do to troubleshoot that. If you purchased it through Steam and have no plans on upgrading your video card any time soon, you may want to contact Steam Support for a refund. I apologize for the inconvenience.
This discussion has been closed.