...so hows it selling?

edited February 2007 in Sam & Max
Now we are half way through the season, i was wondering if telltale are happy with the numbers shifted so far? Its it better or worse than expected or just about on track?

I am just wondering because obviously how season one performs will have an effect on the the budget and therefore quality of season 2, and beyond...

I really hope its doing well! :)

Comments

• edited February 2007
    I suspect (and very much hope) it's doing quite well. At least that's my guess just by looking at the community growth in these forums over the last couple of months.
  • edited February 2007
    Not to mention the hiring blitz going on at Telltale.
  • edited February 2007
    I think they said they were happy with the sales.
  • edited February 2007
    I hope it! But without all those guys who download the game by P2P... Maybe telltale can improve it anti-pirating system, no? Well, me, I don't know, huh, I've just said that...
  • edited February 2007
    lerenwe wrote: »
    I hope it! But without all those guys who download the game by P2P... Maybe telltale can improve it anti-pirating system, no? Well, me, I don't know, huh, I've just said that...

The problem with all such anti-pirating systems is that they cost a lot of money, and a lot of them gets broken only a short time after the game is released. I heard some time ago a game-developer-spokesperson said that "If the protection only lasts for one week before somebody breaks it, we have earned a lot of money. Because it's the first week most people buy the game and if they can't get an illegal version, they'll buy it instead."

There's only a handful of protection systems that haven't been broken - most of them are for DOS. But yeah, it's always a question if it's really worth it to get a better protection, because sooner or later people will break it. Seems like the only "protections" that really works fully are forcing people to play the entire game online, but that puts other limits on people and will perhaps make some people who would usually have bought it decide not to buy it.

Also, there's always certain risks attached to using a strong anti-pirating system. Like Broken Sword 4 - I've heard many people who had problems with starting the game because the protection feature in that game kept having problems without giving them a proper warning(and that protection is broken too). When they contacted the people who made the protecting, they just said it was a problem with the game, and to contact the game developer. The only solution was to get a no cd patch off the internet(an illegal one) and apply it to their legal game. Then everything worked fine, but then suddenly the point of buying the game fell away. It's really a good way to make sure people don't buy a game if it gets the reputation of being buggy or unstartable.
  • edited February 2007
    Lets put it like this...

We don't want something like Starforce.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2007
    I don't think anyone wants Starforce.
  • edited February 2007
    One thing game companies do is make it a point to never comment on actual sales numbers. But by the looks of how it's doing, it can't be selling poorly. Which is good, because that means there should be a Season 2. :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.