POLL: Was episode 1 too easy?

2»

Comments

• edited December 2010
    That's not what I meant.
  • edited December 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    That's not what I meant.

I know what you meant. I was neither agreeing nor disagreeing, I was instead making a related but tangential point of my own. This is (in some circles) sometimes known as "conversation". If you like, you can use the internet to practice "conversation" in case you ever have to have one in real life ;)
  • edited December 2010
    or you can try being more amicable instead of insulting people.

Taking my lament about the lack of item-combining and turning it into a rant about how the inventory screen sucks and that Telltale are a bunch of retards is not conversation. At the very least, it's not one I want to be a part of.
  • edited December 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    or you can try being more amicable instead of insulting people.

Taking my lament about the lack of item-combining and turning it into a rant about how the inventory screen sucks and that Telltale are a bunch of retards is not conversation. At the very least, it's not one I want to be a part of.

It's just the fact that I agreed with your original point but was basically jokingly saying "maybe it's kind of a blessing, since if they made item combining as annoying as it was in ToMI then the inventory screen would be even more scary". But you missed that joke and instead insinuated that I hadn't understood your original comment, when clearly I had. Sorry you don't get my humour. And I never said they're a bunch of retards; that's your assumption. I think they just made a series of bad decisions and rushed this game out to cash in on a big movie license. Yes I'm bitter that I wasted my money thinking this series would be up to the quality of, say, Sam and Max Season 3; but it doesn't even come close. I'm just being continually amazed at how people on this forum keep objecting to anybody other than themselves expressing an opinion; you expressed yours, I expressed a counter-point, there was just no need for you to then point out that my point was different to yours, and so I made a slightly sarcastic reply. Please don't be offended, I'm just a bit British ;)

Edit: Might I add, though, that people might want to discuss your view about item combining, it's just this thread has been so hopelessly derailed by know that I doubt it'd take place here. Yes, probably entirely my own fault. But it was slightly off-topic in the first place so maybe you'd want to start a new thread for it. You'll then (I guarantee this) get a flood of replies basically saying "yes we've been asking for this since the invention of the railways, Telltale finally gave us it in Tales, and the UI sucked ... so don't get too hopeful" ;) This discussion is "old as dirt" as they say...
  • edited December 2010
    serializer wrote: »
    is there really anything you WOULD be happy with me writing, since I personally experienced quite a lot of problems with this game?
    Not that you were asking me, but I'd quite like to hear some of your ideas for what would have been good/better puzzles.
  • edited December 2010
    Vitoner wrote: »
    Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Ok, it was easy and some puzzles may seem "stupid", but I don't think anyone complained about turning down a cascade with a monkey during Monkey Island 2! Yes, that game was much more non-sense oriented, but also BTTF is overall a fantascientific-action-COMEDY. So, if we want to complain about everything, let's go on, but I don't think those would be constructive complainings.
    I still think puzzles were too easy, but, man, come on...

Monkey wrench, simple.
  • edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    Not that you were asking me, but I'd quite like to hear some of your ideas for what would have been good/better puzzles.

Well I haven't really thought about it too much, after all it's Telltale's job to write the puzzles and that's why I bought the game off them...

But I guess, as an example, when the Delorean first turned up I thought I was going to have to, say, fix the time circuits or at least the time readout, probably by using Doc Brown's notes and travelling around some Hill Valley locations to get parts. THEN we'd go to the past and see those locations again in prohibition era and carry on with the story. I'm absolutely certain there'll be a puzzle in another episode based around fixing some part of the car!

Also I think the subpoena quest should have just been ditched in favour of a more involved quest building the rocket-powered drill. Obviously the subpoena is supposed to be critical to the Ep 2 storyline but it's pretty unconvincing to me that the Hill Valley police and courts would be utterly unable to hand out a subpoena to someone who spends a lot of his time hanging out in the town square with an extremely notorious local character! The whole plotline just seems really unconvincing and fails to draw me into the world.

I also mentioned that in the basement puzzle it could maybe have changed a bit with each stage. Perhaps it could have you desperately finding objects to patch up equipment that was breaking under pressure. Maybe additional stages of the machine would come into operation that would need managing. Just something to mix it up, instead of just getting faster each round.

So with the whole science aspect of Doc Brown I think helping him build, fix and/or operate his inventions should be the "bread and butter" of puzzles in a BttF game.

But really, I'd like to see something more like the actual time travel puzzles of Sam and Max Season 2 or particularly Day of the Tentacle with all of its high-jinks. Hopefully we'll see some firmly time travel-based puzzles in later episodes (i.e. do something in the past to affect the future in specific ways) because Telltale have previously shown they can successfully conceive such things.

But yeah, it's hard to say what would have made it a more satisfying game for me. But then, it's not my job to work that out - we can only hope that Telltale will respond to the underwhelming response and notch up the depth a bit in the rest of the series.
  • edited December 2010
    serializer wrote: »
    But I guess, as an example, when the Delorean first turned up I thought I was going to have to, say, fix the time circuits or at least the time readout, probably by using Doc Brown's notes and travelling around some Hill Valley locations to get parts. THEN we'd go to the past and see those locations again in prohibition era and carry on with the story. I'm absolutely certain there'll be a puzzle in another episode based around fixing some part of the car!

When someone calls you out and asks for an example of a puzzle you don't just give a place you actually give a description step by step such as:

look at display
    Ask someone how to fix it such as george or maybe edna, for foreshadowing in a clip
    Find a part that is needed from long task
    try to put it into delorean
    When about to put it in cut scene happens and you hit the delorean and it works.
  • edited December 2010
    jaden551 wrote: »
    When someone calls you out and asks for an example of a puzzle you don't just give a place you actually give a description step by step such as:

Um ... what do you mean by "calls you out"? Did I ever claim I could write a better puzzle myself? No, but I did say, "it's not my job". Telltale are professional games designers and it is their job to come up with challenging and interesting puzzles. I can offer feedback if I think they weren't up to scratch, and perhaps some suggestions as to the kind of thing that might have been more fulfilling. What part of me buying a game involves me having to also do their work for them?

Edit: Anyway, it seems my description of the puzzle was perfectly adequate, it gave you a pretty amazingly accurate idea of exactly what I meant, enough for you to write a more detailed version of it than I did. When someone says "I'd quite like to hear some of your ideas" they are NOT asking me to write an entire script for the game I wish I'd played!
  • edited December 2010
    I think also, the game is too easy.
    Sometimes, the quest are a strongly too easy. For example, I have to do something, but I don't know how. So I talk with people. But i don't get informations: It's the solution.
    I hope, later, it would be a little bit harder. For everyone, who thinks, the game is too hard, you are able to use the Idea-Button on the top right to get a hint.

It would be cool, if you should compine more things to get the solution, for example in Monkey Island with the Ninja doll. That would be nice :)
  • edited December 2010
    keep it easy... some of us just like going through the story seeing all the graphics, bells and whistles, the game has to offer.... if you make it harder... just keep the hints... nice addition
  • edited December 2010
    After some thought, it makes complete sense for this installment to be a push over. This episode is offered for free when you buy the BTTF Blu Ray set plus it sounds like Telltale is going to make it freeware in February when the second one is out. So think of this as a working demo of the whole entire game. Its designed to suck you in and make you want more.

But looking at the teaser for the next one, it already looks more challenging. I can see how you can get a game over by causing a time paradox. Hope Telltale did some fun cutscene animations of the galaxy imploding lol.
  • edited December 2010
    Grunty wrote: »
    After some thought, it makes complete sense for this installment to be a push over. This episode is offered for free when you buy the BTTF Blu Ray set plus it sounds like Telltale is going to make it freeware in February when the second one is out. So think of this as a working demo of the whole entire game. Its designed to suck you in and make you want more.
    If that's true, I hate the rationale behind it. That means 1/5th of the entire game is a waste. If Telltale wanted to make an easy demo, it should have been 1/3rd (or less) of Episode 1, with harder puzzles kicking in after the demo portion was over. Having the entire first episode of a game series be a demo is just frustrating.
  • edited December 2010
    Absolutely and without question the easiest adventure game I have ever played. Also the most disappointing adventure game I have ever played simply because I was expecting a lot from this game given Telltale's past games and the potential this title has.

You throw in some well though out puzzles and make it so the choices you make actually effect the outcome and this game could have been VASTLY, and I do mean VASTLY, superior. The funny thing is this game is really a game for people that hate adventure games.
  • edited December 2010
    If that's true, I hate the rationale behind it. That means 1/5th of the entire game is a waste. If Telltale wanted to make an easy demo, it should have been 1/3rd (or less) of Episode 1, with harder puzzles kicking in after the demo portion was over. Having the entire first episode of a game series be a demo is just frustrating.

Couldnt agree more. If that is truly the idea behind this 1st episode then they need some new management over at Telltale as that is just a huge waste of resources and ultimately a terrible idea. If they really wanted to do something like this then should have made a roughly 30-45 minute mini game whose purpose was to suck people in. They could have offered it up for free a few weeks before the main release of episode 1. Making an entire episode in this manner is a complete waste of time and resources and is complete overkill for the idea.

I don't know if this was the case or not, I highly doubt it, but either way its a terrible idea. Again a 30-45 minute episode that was made as a free intro to get people excited could have been a cool thing but an entire episode is just a bad idea all the way around.
  • edited December 2010

Ya I hear ya there though. They could of put in a few more puzzles throughout and extended the first part a bit more then cut the demo off when Marty goes to the past.
  • edited December 2010
    An issue I had with the puzzles was that I was often accidentally solving them before I realized there was a puzzle to solve.

SPOILERS:
    I asked Marty's Dad not to interfere between me and Biff before Biff even had taken the courthouse model in the first place. Then I tried playing the guitar in the amp, and the next thing I knew I was solving the Biff's-got-the-notebook puzzle before I had even tried.
    And later, I was asking Ms. Strickland to have the Stay Sober Society meeting at the Brown Manor before I had any reason.
  • edited December 2010
    It was pretty easy for us "Backies". Maybe for those new to the field & who have only seen the FIRST film it may have had a minor strategy of difficulty I suppose.

What is was ... was SHORT. Like MOLOKOV stated, not very many puzzles in it like most TTG are known to have. true, it was a single episode ... it was small in gameplay.

I DO, however, like the "movie"-like experience it was given. Just let's hope the other episodes get longer as they play out. :-D
  • edited December 2010
    I just don't understand why they have to try and change things up. Look back at all the greatest adventure games that were ever made and then look at the things that made those game so great. The vast majority of things are missing from this game. Its like they went against everything that is tried and true in this genre. If they are honestly trying to create some new hybrid movie/super easy adventure genre then I for one will be bailing out long before we get to the end. I want an adventure game, nothing more and nothing less and this certainly wasn't an adventure game, at least not the kind that I have spent 30+ years of my life playing. It was more animated movie than adventure game.

I also hated the walking mechanism for this game. I use either my 17" Macbook Pro or my Macbook Air the vast majority of the time and using the laptop pad's for the "click and pull" walking was a pain in the butt. I vastly prefer the "click and walk there" style of controls.

I just prey they didn't take this approach to the Jurassic Park game but something tells me were in for more of the same with that game as well. Such a shame and ultimately a wasted opportunity for the adventure genre and its fans.
  • edited December 2010
    I just don't understand why they have to try and change things up.
    Have you read this article?
  • edited December 2010
    I must really suck at adventure games because I had to resort to the hint system a LOT
    or maybe thats just lazyness, how long did you guys who found it easy spend on a puzzle? A lot of people seem to make out they literally just clicked through every puzzle as if it said "CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE"

I found it challenging :(
  • edited December 2010
    GeorgeC wrote: »
    I must really suck at adventure games because I had to resort to the hint system a LOT
    or maybe thats just lazyness, how long did you guys who found it easy spend on a puzzle? A lot of people seem to make out they literally just clicked through every puzzle as if it said "CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE"

I found it challenging :(
    The only puzzles in the game that I felt were actual "puzzles" were the last three: getting the alcohol, making the fuel in Young Doc's lab, and rescuing Doc from the paddywagon. And even those were on the easy side. Everything before that, the game provides the solution to simply by limiting the number of objects and/or choices in any given situation, or has the game give you hints in other ways, so the solution is plain as day and pretty obvious. Of course, your mileage may vary.
  • edited December 2010
    The only puzzles in the game that I felt were actual "puzzles" were the last three: getting the alcohol, making the fuel in Young Doc's lab, and rescuing Doc from the paddywagon. And even those were on the easy side. Everything before that, the game provides the solution to simply by limiting the number of objects and/or choices in any given situation, or has the game give you hints in other ways, so the solution is plain as day and pretty obvious. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I give in to temptation too easily, if the hints are there I'll use them, I'm not saying the game was as hard as a sam and max episode, but it did challenge me a bit.
  • edited December 2010
    Way too easy and also very short.

IMHO it's probably the easiest TT episode I have played, most of the time the character tells/points you exactly what to do and how to do it, the only time I got stuck for more than 5 minutes was:
    during the last sequence and it was only because I haven't immediately noticed the antena
  • edited December 2010
    Too easy, Too short...played with kids as I do all Telltale stuff and we were like looking at each other afterward going... huh? That's it? I felt there were too many 'one option' situations. I hope this episode 1 is no more than a holiday intro to the rest of the series. We're still plugging away at SM3 and MI (we're not junkies, we do other things)...but we wiped out BTTF in a few hours.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.