nitpick: Emmett's father

edited December 2010 in Back to the Future
Emmett's father speaks in a heavy German accent, but Brown is an English surname -- the German version is 'Braun'.

I'm sure this is something that can be explained away, but I'm just mentioning it because I found it odd.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    redfish wrote: »
    Emmett's father speaks in a heavy German accent, but Brown is an English surname -- the German version is 'Braun'.

I'm sure this is something that can be explained away, but I'm just mentioning it because I found it odd.

In BttF3 Doc mentions how they've moved in Hill Valley in the early 20th century (somewhere along the lines 1904-1908, gotta rewatch the movie) and were called Von Brauns before changing it to Browns. Everything's correct.
  • edited December 2010
    Doc mentions in BTTF3 that the family name was Von Braun until they English-ified their name at some point. They certainly wouldn't be the only family to do so.

Ninja'd. :(
  • edited December 2010
    Farlander wrote: »
    In BttF3 Doc mentions how they've moved in Hill Valley in the early 20th century (somewhere along the lines 1904-1908, gotta rewatch the movie) and were called Von Brauns before changing it to Browns. Everything's correct.

Oh, ok I missed that. It would have had to be his father though, for the accent to be there. Probably changed because of WWI?
  • edited December 2010
    redfish wrote: »
    Oh, ok I missed that. It would have had to be his father though, for the accent to be there. Probably changed because of WWI?
    Yes. Here's the exact quote:
    The Browns didn't come to Hill Valley until 1908, and then they were the Von Brauns. My father changed our name during the First World War.
  • edited December 2010
    It's good that OP made this thread. It's a really good easter egg/detail that not everyone is able to catch, even if they watched each movie at least 3 times in the previous month, like how I did.
  • edited December 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    It's good that OP made this thread. It's a really good easter egg/detail that not everyone is able to catch, even if they watched each movie at least 3 times in the previous month, like how I did.

Precisely. :p And if you listen to Judge Brown's dialog, at times he does make a comment about how "the Von Brauns have been justices" for a long time.
  • edited December 2010
    I thought Brown Sr. sounded more like Winslow than a German. Recycling the actor pool much Telltale? ;)
  • edited December 2010
    You might be surprised how often you DON'T recognize Roger Jackson as Winslow in Telltale games.
  • edited December 2010
    I dunno...I've got a pretty good ear for identifying when an voice person is talking to themselves...but yes, this one was particularly obvious.

Also shame on those who missed this crucial detail about Emmett's family from the third movie. I mean, how do you miss a line like that?
  • edited December 2010
    How did his dad become a Judge?
  • edited December 2010
    By going to law school?
  • edited December 2010
    demonstrating top notch judgment..... possibly by already owning a robe
  • edited December 2010
    By trading favors with the local political machine?
  • edited December 2010
    I didn't hear any German there. Not as heavy as Jürgen anyway...
  • edited December 2010
    How did his dad become a Judge?

By being Winslow, and pointing to "Judge" on a map of his future career path.
  • edited December 2010
    By killing the previous judge
  • edited December 2010
    I'd like to see Marty accidentally bump into Doc's dad in the past and say:

"Hey! You're going to be Judge of Hill Valley!"

"Judge! Now I like the sound of that!" Doc's Dad.
  • edited December 2010
    By going to law school?

It's not that easy. If every law school student could become a judge we would have millions of judges and very few citizens. :eek:
  • edited December 2010
    It's not that easy. If every law school student could become a judge we would have millions of judges and very few citizens. :eek:

*Psssst* Far less than every person on the planet goes to law school ;)
  • edited December 2010
    PainDealer wrote: »
    *Psssst* Far less than every person on the planet goes to law school ;)

Yea but millions of people go to law school. ;)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.