WASD vs. Click & Drag controls

edited January 2011 in Back to the Future
Which did you use for this game?

WASD keys or Click & Drag with the mouse?

The reason why I make this thread is because someone made mention in another thread that they didn't like controlling Marty in an adventure game as though it were an action game, but I always use Click-and-Drag/Point-and-Click for Telltale's games, so I didn't understand that argument.

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Neither, I used a joypad.
  • edited January 2011
    * Also, to preempt someone complaining about being unable to walk fast, I might tell you that if you hold shift or the right mouse button while walking, it makes Marty walk faster.

I use Click & Drag. I've disliked using WASD for adventure games since Escape from Monkey Island.
  • edited January 2011
    Click & Drag works better for me. Smoother movement and almost no unwanted direction change.
  • edited January 2011
    Yep, loved click'n'drag from the beginning.
  • edited January 2011
    Gamepad > WASD > Click and drag
  • edited January 2011
    WASD all the way. Can't stand click and drag.
  • edited January 2011
    I love Click&Drag.

And I think BTTF Click&Drag is better than Sam&Max3 Click&Drag.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Click and drag since The Siege of Spinner Cay. Love it!
  • edited January 2011
    Arrow keys when I need to walk around, but usually I just click from object to object.
  • edited January 2011
    I programmed a hand held controller with an analogue stick, so I suppose WASD for me. I like to hook up to my big LCD TV and use a table-free mouse so click&drag was a bit difficult.

It's good that they included both options, but to be honest I prefer the good old point&click mode above all.
  • edited January 2011
    I go for WASD every time. I played the first couple ToMI with mouse drag but when I noticed I had WASD I switched to it right away. I mean WASD and a Mouse is just the standard for like any computer game.
  • edited January 2011
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    I use Click & Drag. I've disliked using WASD for adventure games since Escape from Monkey Island.

I'd agree with you, but TTG's WASD controls are compass-based rather than character relative-based (although, technically it becomes character-relative if you're walking and the camera angle changes. But you just let go and walk again for it to become compass-based again). I use WASD. Don't really like Click&Drag.
  • edited January 2011
    When TTG moved from mouse-only (SBCG4AP) to WASD/Arrows (W&G) I thought it was making the mechanics more complicated - I enjoyed the simplicity of just the mouse in the early Sam & Max seasons.

But now I'm used to using WASD, and it comes more naturally. I found myself with fingers on the WASD keys when trying to play Bone and then going "whoops, I move by mouse clicks in this one!" :)
  • edited January 2011
    I use WASD. I think I'm just used to it from the old Resident Evil and Dino Crisis PC games.

I'm not a fan of Click & Drag and actually didn't even realize it was an option until I had a friend play and she started using it. I have to admit though, if Point and Click controls are available I always use them.
  • edited January 2011
    Out of the two I use click and drag, now that they at least brought back the TMI way of C&D. Can't really say I prefer either over point and click.
  • edited January 2011
    Both
  • edited January 2011
    WASD, but it is nice to have an option for both hands, if one hand for whatever reason is busy.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.