It should be sandbox.

2»

Comments

• edited January 2011
    I'd like to see more freeroaming and less linear games overall. FreeRoaming can mean a lot of things to different people. The phrase doesn't have a strict definition of 'sandbox'. Just add in a bunch of things you can do that may or may not affect the story and then throw in some tasks that are needed to maintain the complex and/or characters etc. Maybe even add a few side objectives that may not add to the story , but may change characters remarks and maybe even lead to resolving puzzles in different manners. For that matter you could make a few optional objectives that would lead to altered endings and/or scenario's through out the game. Ultimately I think having games that have branching puzzles, even if they lead to the same ending, add to the game's replayability.

Also I wish they would make it possible to die in one of their games. I loved the old adventure games that had a ton of different death scenes. It added a cool and sometimes hilarious element to the puzzles. Its not as if you can't immediately come back and try again. Lots of old sierra games did this and it fit perfectly with the adventure game. Roger Wilco, Rex Nebular etc.. Plus with a game involving dinosaurs you expect someone to get eaten. :)

The ghostbuster idea is great. They had the mechanics of the actual ghost capture gameplay down on the last game, but the story was kind of bland IMO. Even worse the game was so linear. So much potential. I think even a adventure game of ghostbusters would be better. Atleast I think TellTale would get the humor right.
  • edited January 2011
    I love sandbox games... and I love adventure games... I love the games that fall between... But I do not necessarily favor any over the others.. I will be pleased with the TTG JP game as it is I am sure... Sandbox games are dangerous because I think its hard to do without sacrificing an engaging story... Rockstar is one of a small group of companies that can do it right.
  • edited January 2011
    If you want some REAL sand box stuff. Mess around with OFP or ArmA mission editor ;)
  • edited January 2011
    Nah im not going on about other games lol, Just be good in JP to have the only limit being the surrounding sea. Due to being on a small(ish) island. lol

They have said it will follow Heavy Rain as an approach. Well i played the demo yesterday and i have to say a few things on this.

1) Although pretty good, The system of doing your own actions seems a tad pointless when it has to happen anyway for the game/moment/story to carry on. However the time limited actions was fantastic as it had consequences for what you did.

2) Please do not follow the same camera system and movement Heavy Rain uses, I found it to be very innoying not being able to face where you wished to look. (Also read that many others feel this way) The simple camera many games use(right and left stick movement) seem it would of been better.

3) And back to the freeform thing, Heavy Rain was the perfect example for this thread.
    Example being that although it looked a big world it felt, and was very much on rails, although it was good, and following a story needs to be like that, Heavy Rain didn't really give us anything to do, Hard to explain but for example there is a road, looks like you would be able to walk it but no, you HAVE to turn left, walk about 10 steps, go down that ally, etc etc.

Do you get what i mean? Like its very very much on rails.
    Many of you now will be thinking "Well der... thats what a Linear based game is" And yes i know this. BUT...

Call of Duty(example) is a Linear based game and yet it still very much allows you to move way of track to get the best results like taking cover the long way round or something. Not sooo on rails as Heavy Rain.

Wow long post, Basically what im saying is please don't follow Heavy Rain to much please. lol
  • edited January 2011
    Definitely be interesting to see where this game has those Heavy Rain similarities.
  • edited January 2011
    You cannot compare Call of duty with Heavy Rain. One is a military shooter who focuses only on combat, the other is an Adventure wich focuses only on story and characters and nothing else. You gotta think of what a game is trying to deliver instead of just looking at the level of freedom and use that as an indicator of how good a game is. Its true that games need to be as interactive as possible to use the potential a game has compared to movies, but sometimes too much freedom or freeroam damages the story or drama of the scene. Being able to walk down the street what you mentioned would be totally pointless, there would be nothing down there and the player maybe wouldnt know where to go, wasting his time and breaking the flow of the game
  • edited January 2011
    I am not comparing the 2 at all. Im using them both as an example.
  • edited February 2011
    See now this thread aint so stupid as alot of people thought lol... Alot of you seem disapointed that the game does not have much walking or roaming... Thats exactly why i started this thread a while ago...

And also the TellTale guy says his girls (obviously meaning the dino's lol) are very very clever...
    So if at that scene i do nothing for a while.. will that diddy Triceratops wonder off? or will it stay there chewing on a stick for days and days and days untill i decide to move on?
  • edited February 2011
    Telltale's games have always been more story focused.
    Creating a sandbox game is not Telltale's style, and never has been.
  • edited February 2011
    Masta23 wrote: »
    Telltale's games have always been more story focused.
    Creating a sandbox game is not Telltale's style, and never has been.

But it wouldn't hurt for TellTale to throw in some sandbox like elements into their games.
  • edited February 2011
    I just don't think sandbox is the right gameplay for TellTale. Maybe one day they'll surprise us with one but they're doing such a great job with their point and click games so why stray from that path?
  • edited February 2011
    good points... but some kind of free roam would of helped i rekon.. when i say sand box.. i dont mean complety. I mean not even being able to walk at all is almost over the top lol
  • edited February 2011
    That's where I differ from everyone else. Especially when it comes to point and click adventure games. I know when you say not completly sandbox you mean like what they did with BTTF. You control Marty and walk in the small spaces that are given in that game. But Walking isn't really necessary and isn't always present in adventure games.

In fact, the walking in BTTF was basicly pointless seeing how almost all the items in the area were rignt next to each other and you could just cycle and click on what you wanted to interact with and Marty would walk that way on his own. Seeing how Jurassic Park is more along the lines of the classic adventure game i can see why walking was removed.

I still understand why some won't like it though. It does make the game very linear. I for one don't mind linear gameplay. I normally bring up Dead Space as an example since that's a very straight forward and linear game. But at the same time, even Dead Space had those extra hallways and rooms that you could enter but didn't have to. It's the idea of straying off the main path to explore other areas that appeals to a lot of gamers. I like doing that stuff too.

But I still think TellTale is making an awesome game here. And as long as the story is good, the characters are likeable, and some cool stuff happens along the way then I won't mind the linear gameplay.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.