Ep 4, much better.

2»

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Hero1 wrote: »
    Well in that podcast with Dan he said episode 4 and 5 were really good.. so I can't wait for episode 5.. to quote Brendan: does Telltale listen to their fans? Quite possibly :p

From Develop Online's interview with Dan Connors
    Which in itself means you’re able to more closely monitor what people buy and how they respond to it – have you been able to do that with Sam and Max?

That’s somewhere we’re still growing – I think you’ll see that when we get to episodes five and six of Sam and Max the feel will be different because we are aware of what characters people like. That happens in TV – Norm and Cliff in Cheers got more lines as the show went on. I’ll be interested to see, by the fifth season of Sam and Max, how things have developed.
  • edited March 2007
    A real big hug for Ep4. None of that activation problems so far, game runs smooth, and nothing more to tell about the game story (as written above).

Nice work!
  • edited March 2007
    Dangerzone wrote:
    the second is a long middle or "3 tasks" act

Interestingly, I think this episode was more linear than the previous three. You pretty much had to do things in order except for
    collecting the signs
    , which you might have done already anyways. It seemed kind of artificial how they told you exactly what to do in 2 & 3 -- no real surprise what was going to happen next. Of course I realize that many adventure games do the same thing, but it's still sort of silly.
  • edited March 2007
    Just completed episode 4 and i gotta say i absolutely loved it!!

I was glad to see the return of the oh-so bitchy soda poppers, best episode to date.
  • edited March 2007
    Ep 4 was by far the best in the series so far, I thoroughly enjoyed it right through to the end.
    Good job guys.
  • edited March 2007
    Yeah, the best so far, it offers a style and a madness that defy HTR's, imho!
    And the puzzles have been improved, so the game is longer.
    WON-DER-FUL!!!:D
  • edited March 2007
    It's funny, I personally found the puzzles way more intuitive (and hense easier) in Ep4 than the previous three. They were designed equally as well, but I guess because this is the 4th game I just 'knew' what would be required to solve each puzzle. I guess I was just in the right mindset. Not a complaint though, it means, IMO, that telltale're dead on!

The only one that had me stumped for a while was finding the hidden object for the final puzzle - I knew what I had to do, just took a while to actually hunt out the object.

But, as in the 3 previous games, I loved every minute.
  • edited March 2007
    I think Episode 4 has been the best so far in every respect. I thought it was the funniest, had the best story, had the best puzzles, and I found it had shorter load times and much less lag than the others. It also reminded me a lot of Hit the Road which is a very good thing. If this episode is any indication, the rest of the season and the seasons after will be awesome.
  • edited March 2007
    I just wanna add a little something to show my appreciation. Episode 4 is by far the best episode yet. Why? Well, first off the script is extremely well done, and very "Sam & Max'y". I laughed my ass off so many times the hospital is getting really tired of sewing it back on!
    Also, the puzzles are exactly as hard as they should be - at least in my opinion. I think i spent 5 hours on this episode, and i got stuck several times, but not so stuck that i got frustrated. Instead, it lead me to take different approaches to everything, and by that, i really got around to checking out all the superb dialog this episode has. I don't know if it's that new guy who brings all those great lines into the game, but if it is, PLEASE hold on to him forever!

Well, that's about it. Oh, and let me also give a high-five to the animation team and the design team. Everyhing in this episode looks astonishing! Spot-on Sam & Max look everywhere. It's perfect!
  • edited March 2007
    Oh baby, that was fabulous, and Telltale seem to have succeeded in upping the difficulty without making the puzzles obscure or arbitrary, always a hard thing in an adventure. Spot on humour - wonderfully absurd, and the music, which has been consistently amazing up before Ep. 4 somehow still managed to kick it up a notch for this Episode. Whatever Telltale are paying Jared Emerson-Johnson, he's worth his weight in gold. In short, a total classic. If the next two episodes can maintain this level of quality, I'll be in heaven. For me it was almost worth the price of my season pass for this episode alone.

Anyway, I'll stop gushing now. I can only say that I wish Telltale would run a competition with a voice acting role in Sam and Max as the prize. The only thing better than playing Sam and Max would be to be a part of it.
  • edited March 2007
    I agree with all the praise here - a fantastic achievement.

My only gripe: I'm trying to decide whether or not I mind the occasional bad language in these new Sam and Maxes. It's not as though it's particularly offensive, examples being 'bastard', 'bollocks' and 'I did not have sex with that woman', but I don't believe it's necessary and it's a pity to hear a funny line ruined by something crude. As far as I'm concerned, one of the great qualities of Sam and Max games is the way the game takes place in bright, cartoony locations, which contrast brilliantly the acts of gratuitous violence and Sam and Max's malevolent thoughts, making them much funnier. I just think to maintain this deceptive innocence requires the language to be entirely clean. I find the funniest spoken jokes are the most eloquent ones anyway: who could forget the exchange over Jesse James' hand, or 'this rampant weenie cannibalism turns my stomach'? :D
  • edited March 2007
    Undoubtedly my favourite episode to date. Just felt a lot better and the couple of occasions I was stumped for a while let me discover so much more of the hilarious dialogue. The humour and comedy in this episode was fantastic. Max's presidential joke to warm the crowd up had me in stitches :D

Keep up the good work Telltale, I haven't a clue what I'm going to do when the season finishes!

Rgds,
  • edited March 2007
    Loved the episode. Certainly the best so far. Although it lasts as much as the first episode (puzzle-wise), the actual content makes the game seem longer. Also, the humor is top-notch, and the puzzles don't seem as easy as in the third episode, for example.

Excepting the fact that we have to go back and forth a great number of times (quite tedious), I don't see any other reason why one wouldn't like it.

Hope the following 2 episodes are up to this one's standards.
  • edited March 2007
    I've just played through the game and a brief (i'm in a hurry) review from me:

I found both pros and cons in episode 4.

As for the pros: the game was noticeable longer, the white house was modelled very nicely, another good character (the special agent superball), good humour, nice interlude (although a bit too long),
    i could knock off the head of this bad joke called president
    , again a new idea for the car driving scene, one week closer to the gametap release date (one week down, one more to go), nice misleadings.

As for the cons: Only three new rooms (episode 2 brought six new rooms), i'm getting quite tired of running to the same places over and over again (look what's new at sybil's place, get bosco to give you a new device blabla), this is kind of boring if you do this in the fourth iteration in a row, i miss something NEW, the music was fitting quite well but it also wasn't that you would say: Wow this tune was great, still no inventory puzzles, there was more to riddle in this episode but beside of
    getting the idea to call sybil on your own
    i never got stuck, i still miss great riddles and such where you don't have to run from A to B, do something and then run back from B to A. In german you call this "Dienstbotenrätsel", the navigation can really be a drag at this point as you have to watch the same animations over and over again just to get from A to B and back again.

All in all i would give it a 7 out of 10.
  • edited March 2007
    When I got stuck, I was confused by
    the easter egg that I found into the golf hole... I was trying to understand how I could use it, but it was was totally useless. Crazy joke, it appears into the hole just setting the day as easter sunday
    . Fun!:D
  • edited March 2007
    When I got stuck, I was confused by
    the easter egg that I found into the golf hole... I was trying to understand how I could use it, but it was was totally useless. Crazy joke, it appears into the hole just setting the day as easter sunday
    . Fun!:D

That's awesome! Wow.
  • edited March 2007
    Abe Lincoln must die is the best episode yet by far. I laughed out loud several times and cracked a smile many more at the clever dialogue. Max as president is brilliant. The puzzles are much better, too. Episode 4 is the standard to which this series should aspire.
  • edited March 2007
    ep4 was really good. some of the puzzles were a little harder, but still made sense. the music was great, and the musical was good fun.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.