Thanks For the Joke For Us Zork Fans!

edited March 2007 in Sam & Max
I am loving Telltale, and love Sam and Max, and every one of these games is a treat but I have to admit I was especially tickled by the inside reference to the original adventure game, Infocom's ZORK at the beginning of Episode 4.

In case you didn't catch it, it was:
Here we are in a field west of the white house

Kudos on your clever writing and a great adventure gamer flashback :)

p.s. there was even a mailbox there!

Comments

• edited March 2007
    I'm not entirely sure since I haven't played Secret of Monkey Island in maybe a decade or more, but was
    the memo Max asks the Secret Service Agent-cum secretary to write
    a reference to the Secret of Monkey Island and
    memos scattered throughout Monkey Island
    ?
  • edited March 2007
    i love how everyone pulls arbetrary off the wall connections out of these games............. believe me, when they make a refrence............ it is obvious (and most of them are in the "do you have any...." conversations)
  • edited March 2007
    Dangerzone wrote: »
    i love how everyone pulls arbetrary off the wall connections out of these games............. believe me, when they make a refrence............ it is obvious (and most of them are in the "do you have any...." conversations)

Most of the very obvious references are in the conversations with Bosco, yes.

But you need only look at the thread discussing the password references, with obscure things like rosebud and "Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia"--or look at the Max death speech--to know that the games are replete with very subtle references.

And I'm pretty sure I've heard that memo line, "
    I know what you're doing. Cut it out!
    " somewhere before.
  • edited March 2007
    Blackphyr wrote: »
    I am loving Telltale, and love Sam and Max, and every one of these games is a treat but I have to admit I was especially tickled by the inside reference to the original adventure game, Infocom's ZORK at the beginning of Episode 4.

Aye, that was one of my favourite lines of the game too. Well, it was earlier in the episode, but there were just so many great jokes!

Anyone else notice the headline on the newspaper: "Purcell eaten (or attacked, or something) by two-headed monkey"?
  • edited March 2007
    Yea, I wanted to read that Purcell story, but it would not let me buy the newspaper... ack... heh...
  • edited March 2007
    I loved scanning Jesse James Hand. "Wow. Can you believe it. This hand is 14 years old :p 2007 - 14 = 1993(when they first got the hand, back in Hit the road)"

And it was fun scanning Leonard Steakcharmer too :D
  • edited March 2007
    did you carbon date hugh bliss :D :D I also liked how sam wondered what flint paper was up to :D
  • edited March 2007
    numble wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure since I haven't played Secret of Monkey Island in maybe a decade or more, but was
    the memo Max asks the Secret Service Agent-cum secretary to write
    a reference to the Secret of Monkey Island and
    memos scattered throughout Monkey Island
    ?

Well, just went through the memos of Monkey Island 1, and, though similar in content and tone--"You're doing X, stop it!"--none of them had the exact same wording as Max's first memo.
  • edited March 2007
    I was amused by the Zork reference. Not so much in a "laugh-out-loud" way, but more of a "hey, that's pretty clever" way.
  • edited March 2007
    As a old gamer I instantly noticed the Zork reference out in the White House lawn. I thought it was pretty nostalgic. :p
  • edited March 2007
    And is that Steve Purcell as George Washington in the Oval Office painting?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2007
    It's someone important.
  • edited March 2007
    Did you find the hidden easter egg?
  • edited March 2007
    Did you find the hidden easter egg?
    I have now, thanks! :D That's a pretty nice meta-joke there, and Sam's choice of words when using it immediately triggered memories. I love these little touches. :)
  • edited March 2007
    jp-30 wrote: »
    And is that Steve Purcell as George Washington in the Oval Office painting?

It suuuure looks like him.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.