Who else still wants a real Delorean?

edited February 2011 in Back to the Future
Personally, as a kid this was not my favorite car, but I always thought that it looked really sweet. The doors as well as a few other features really made it look like a futuristic car. Some other features really sucked. Regardless, why can't we have an updated version of this car? One without all the weird stigma and drug trafficking charges.

This looks awesome to me
Delorian Pic

Comments

• edited February 2011
    It is one of my life goals to get a gray Delorean, build a makeshift flux capacitor, get a yellow raincoat, bust through my friends' garbage cans into their driveways while blaring "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis, and jump out of the car and say "<insert friend's name> YOU GOTTA COME BACK WITH ME!"

I'm gonna do it. Do not doubt me.
  • edited February 2011
    plrichard wrote: »
    It is one of my life goals to get a gray Delorean, build a makeshift flux capacitor, get a yellow raincoat, bust through my friends' garbage cans into their driveways while blaring "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis, and jump out of the car and say "<insert friend's name> YOU GOTTA COME BACK WITH ME!"

I'm gonna do it. Do not doubt me.

As for me, it is still my dream car! I love the interior of the car and the doors, which is the best part! And this car better have a CD player or an Ipod player so that I could play both of the "Power of Love" and "Back In Time" and if one of my friends asks me "So, how far are you heading?" I will say "About 30 years!" wearing my avidaers or if they say "You dont have enough road to get up to 88!" And then Ill say, "roads, where we're goin, we dont need roads!":)
  • edited February 2011
    you can buy a flux capacitor at http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/collectibles/9fc6/<-here
  • edited February 2011
    I still want a DeLorean. It won't happen, but a guy can dream.
  • edited February 2011
    Why not?
    A new DeLorean isn't THAT expensive.
  • edited February 2011
  • edited February 2011
    you can buy a flux capacitor at http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/collectibles/9fc6/<-here
    No you can't. It's out of stock.
  • edited February 2011
    I do.
  • edited February 2011
    It would be cool to have a Delorean, but on the top of my list of cars I want is a Desoto like Sam and Max's.
  • edited February 2011
    P1020868.JPG

You can always get a silver saloon and make it look like one!

I had the pleasure of driving alongside this car on a banger rally to barcelona 2 summers back. Good times!
  • edited February 2011
    My biggest dream is owning a Delorean, I have always wanted one since I was a Child. I'm still hoping to own one someday in the not so distant future.
  • edited February 2011
    I think word you are looking is "replica", not "real".
  • edited February 2011
    Clord wrote: »
    I think word you are looking is "replica", not "real".

No, I'm pretty sure the word that YOUR looking for is "reproduction." A replica would have to be made by the same manufacturer (Not going to happen) Thanks for the correction though....:rolleyes:
  • edited February 2011
    Why?
    Are you not considering the current DMC company, that restarted building new DeLoreans in 2009 to be the same company that did the job in 1985?

Is it just because the employees bought the company when the original owner went bankrupt?
    Or is it because they ceased to build cars for a pretty long time?
    (But were still in business for matters like getting replacement parts)

So actually if you want a Delorean it would be neither a replica nor a reproduction, but just a new car.

So be supportive and buy one now
    http://www.delorean.com/newbuild.asp
  • edited February 2011
    My biggest dream is owning a Delorean, I have always wanted one since I was a Child. I'm still hoping to own one someday in the not so distant future.

Are you joking?
  • edited February 2011
    Krohn wrote: »

So actually if you want a Delorean it would be neither a replica nor a reproduction, but just a new car.

So be supportive and buy one now
    http://www.delorean.com/newbuild.asp

I think you misunderstood, although I would be happy with a reproduction, replica (1980's style) or new Delorean. I think I was just trying to point out that any of these options would be "real."

And as far as I know (prove me wrong) the Delorean company is not currently making 1980's style Deloreans.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2011
    I had to sell my DeLorean to make space for my new car.

most-famous-car-in-the-world-ever-1959-cadillac-Miller-Meteor-ambulance-ghostbusters.jpg
  • edited February 2011
    puzzlebox wrote: »

most-famous-car-in-the-world-ever-1959-cadillac-Miller-Meteor-ambulance-ghostbusters.jpg

Yep! If I had the money for it I would totally build myself one of those. The base model car the Ecto-1 is built from though, a 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance, is so rare that it would cost a pretty penny just to get your hands on that. Then of course there's the cost of the supplies to make it look like the car from the movie.

Another famous movie car I'd love to own is a Ford Explorer styled to look like the Jurassic Park tour vehicles.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2011
    The base model car the Ecto-1 is built from though, a 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor ambulance, is so rare that it would cost a pretty penny just to get your hands on that.

Oh dear... maybe I should go for something more realistic.

Nrl7U.jpg
  • edited February 2011
    Are you joking?
    joking?..no i'm not. why would I be joking?
  • edited February 2011
    I really love my DeLorean. I am planning on making some improvements on my DeLorean plus I am also looking for a 2nd DeLorean.
    Lets just say that I already have my dream car!
  • edited February 2011
    joking?..no i'm not. why would I be joking?

I wanted one hwen i was under 10. Those cars are very hard to maintain and impractical. Its hard to open their doors parked ANYWHERE. If your rich get one in mint and keep it in a showcase. Thats really the only non-jokey way of getting one.
  • edited February 2011
    I wanted one hwen i was under 10. Those cars are very hard to maintain and impractical. Its hard to open their doors parked ANYWHERE. If your rich get one in mint and keep it in a showcase. Thats really the only non-jokey way of getting one.

Really? It doesn't seem like they'd swing any further out than a normal car door...
  • edited February 2011
    You are in a cramped parking spot. You slip out the side of the door opening. Delorean you CRAWL out. And the hatch has a much larger outward arch than most modern standard doors.
  • edited February 2011
    Actually, DeLorean doors require less clearance space than normal car doors do. Because part of the roof also swings upward in addition to the door, it requires less space to go up.

I would also want a DeLorean. However...I would definitely want to keep it stock. Like a friend on another forum was saying, having a brandy new nice, shiny DeLorean and then having to start drilling holes in that perfect stainless steel just breaks it for me....in more ways than one, lol. Maybe like, if I could acquire a broken, in-need-of-repairs car, I'd feel better about attaching garbage and surplus parts to it. xP
  • edited February 2011
    No, what I meant was I have loved the Delorean since I was a child hoping when I get older I could maybe own one. so at the time when I was 10 how is a Child with a dream considered "Jokey"?
  • edited February 2011
    Heck yeah I want a Delorean!

I actually like older cars because of how much lighter a lot of them are, who needs airbags?
  • edited February 2011
    church1138 wrote: »
    Actually, DeLorean doors require less clearance space than normal car doors do. Because part of the roof also swings upward in addition to the door, it requires less space to go up.

You're missing the point he was trying to make. We'll accept as a given that the DeLorean needs less space. No one's arguing that.

Now think about those times you're parked so close to another car (or another car has parked so close to you) in the parking lot that youu can only open the door enough to squeeze in through the opening. It's a tight fit. What he's saying is that in the same situation with a DeLorean, you'd have to get on the ground and crawl in under the door.
  • edited February 2011
    Xavian wrote: »
    You're missing the point he was trying to make. We'll accept as a given that the DeLorean needs less space. No one's arguing that.

Now think about those times you're parked so close to another car (or another car has parked so close to you) in the parking lot that youu can only open the door enough to squeeze in through the opening. It's a tight fit. What he's saying is that in the same situation with a DeLorean, you'd have to get on the ground and crawl in under the door.

Or just climb out the moon roof :D
  • edited February 2011
    zounds! wrote: »
    Or just climb out the moon roof :D

I know;)
  • edited February 2011
    I was excited to see a Delorean in person, it was parked next to my car when I came out of an Autozone. I snapped cell phone pics of it and all. I think if I owned one I'd be too stressed about the attention it would draw.

Oh dear... maybe I should go for something more realistic.

Nrl7U.jpg

See, when I heard about a realistic Batman movie, I thought this is what Christopher Nolan had in mind for the Batmobile. I saw recently that the Batman Returns batmobile was auctioned off on eBay for some crazy price or other. You'd practically have to be Bruce Wayne to afford that. On that note, watch the news for headlines of a wealthy nut-so crashing his recently purchased movie prop car during a drunken "vigilante" rampage through downtown LA.

Well, one can hope.
  • edited February 2011
    Well, I don't want one anymore since I already got one. :D

I notice there is a LOT of misinformation in this thread.

1) The old DMC completely shut down. None of the employees bought it and kept it going. It was revived under a new owner named Steven Wynne who bought the rights to the name DeLorean Motor Company and its logos.

2) The new DMC is currently building "new" DeLoreans in the sense that they are built exactly like the originals, but with some updated options (CD Player, satnav, heated seats, etc.). They make in limited numbers, and at $57,000, are quite expensive. A used original DeLorean in good condition will cost about $20,000-$30,000.

3) It is not at all hard to get out of a DeLorean in a tight space, the doors only need about 12-14 inches of clearance to open fully. Compare that to my Camaro, which has 3 foot long doors that need a lot more room to open.

Now, you need to LOVE the car to own one. They are a bit temperamental. Maintaining them isn't always difficult, but sometimes you'll find a problem that just will make you want to tear your hair out. But as long you take care of it, it can provide years of enjoyment.

As a final note, I drive mine as a daily driver. When you own this car, you WILL get a lot of attention no matter where you go. You WILL hear the same 5 BTTF jokes over and over again. And you WILL hear people spout off about the car when they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. But I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
  • edited February 2011
    i LOVE BTTF and the DeLorean, i would kill for one! but i must say if i had to choose, i would totally get the Ecto1 instead. :P
  • edited February 2011

Telltale Games should definitely release a Ghost Busters series!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.