Can'T start free ep 1 ???

edited February 2011 in Game Support
My friend got his free ep 1 today, and his play button doesnt start the game. So i launched my purchased ep 1 , and the same , i cannot start ep 1 .

I can , however , start both episodes , after i have installed ep 2.

Please fix this.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Roamin64 wrote: »
    Please fix this.

AH-AH.
    Telltale sales rushed products, so this is a Telltale standard now.
    They often release buggy games that lacks polishment and they rarely release a patch.
    Get used to it.
  • edited February 2011
    Same problem. I couldn't even get it to go online. I had to email support to get an offline code to even get to the play button. I rebooted into my windows 7 partition (I'm on a macbook air) and downloaded the PC version and it works much better. If that's an option i'd try that.
  • edited February 2011
    AH-AH.
    Telltale sales rushed products, so this is a Telltale standard now.
    They often release buggy games that lacks polishment and they rarely release a patch.
    Get used to it.

How many telltale games have you played?
    So far Poker Night has been the only buggy game.
  • edited February 2011
    I logged in and I cannot push the play button on episode 1. I can push the buy me now on episode 2, but the episode 1 play button does not work.
  • edited February 2011
    I had this issue too. The PLAY button would not do anything until I started the game as Administrator.

To do this (if you don't know how), right click the desktop icon, and click Run As Administrator. You can also set it to permanently do this via right click/Properties.

Hope this helps.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, I'm having the same problem. By the way, I'm using a Mac.
  • CedCed
    edited February 2011
    Same here. On Mac OSX 10.5, and the play button doesn't work, even if the others are !

I hope they will be able to fix it, as I don't have Windows on this computer :(
  • edited February 2011
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    How many telltale games have you played?
    So far Poker Night has been the only buggy game.

I played ALL Telltale games.
    Did you forgot the Guybrush-in-the-cell major bug that prevented finishing the game? Or the one on Muzzled, that prevented finishing the game too? or the last episode of "Wallce&Gromit" that someone ironically called "The BUGey man"? And the bug on puzzle agent demo that make you finish the game for free?
    And these are just the MAJOR ones.
  • edited February 2011
    AR89 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm having the same problem. By the way, I'm using a Mac.

See this stickied thread in the support forum about problems with BTTF on Mac. I also couldn't start episode 1 (freebie version), but applying the two suggestions in that thread fixed it.
  • edited February 2011
    Running the DirectX installer fixed the problem for me when I installed it to a different PC.

UPDATE: and now it doesn't work again.
  • edited February 2011
    That other thread listed suggested renaming and that did the trick. My original application was called "BackToTheFuture101 DRM 15.05" (minus the quotes) and after renaming it to "BackToTheFuture101" it worked perfectly (with wifi on and wihtout using the Terminal). If you have any problems, I'd give that a shot.

That's pretty sloppy Telltale. Teach your developers what a relative path is, or atleast check your own support forums. :/
  • edited February 2011
    Maniac536 wrote: »
    I logged in and I cannot push the play button on episode 1. I can push the buy me now on episode 2, but the episode 1 play button does not work.

I got it to work earlier today, but now I'm having this very issue...
  • edited February 2011
    I played ALL Telltale games.
    Did you forgot the Guybrush-in-the-cell major bug that prevented finishing the game? Or the one on Muzzled, that prevented finishing the game too? or the last episode of "Wallce&Gromit" that someone ironically called "The BUGey man"? And the bug on puzzle agent demo that make you finish the game for free?
    And these are just the MAJOR ones.

I have yet to hear about any of these bugs, with the exception of Puzzle Agent(that was an epic fail for telltale)
    Could you please explain to me these bugs here?
  • edited February 2011
    Same problem here. Clicking on "PLAY" does nothing. Can't start the game. So after waiting all this time to try our free episode, we still can't play. This is pathetic...
  • edited February 2011
    diemer wrote: »
    That other thread listed suggested renaming and that did the trick. My original application was called "BackToTheFuture101 DRM 15.05" (minus the quotes) and after renaming it to "BackToTheFuture101" it worked perfectly (with wifi on and wihtout using the Terminal). If you have any problems, I'd give that a shot.

Guys. Do this. It worked
  • edited February 2011
    same problem for me
  • edited February 2011
    Guibs wrote: »
    Same problem here. Clicking on "PLAY" does nothing. Can't start the game. So after waiting all this time to try our free episode, we still can't play. This is pathetic...

I tried what someone mentioned above, if you're running on Windows 7, right click the icon and hit "run as administrator". Worked for me.
  • edited February 2011
    Running as administrator worked for me, so I could finish the game, but seriously I don't know how I feel about buying the rest of the season if I gotta jump through hoops like this to get the rest of the games running.

I might just get the PS3 versions, but I even had a small demo crash on that (game froze once when I tried to use the guitar on the amp).
  • edited February 2011
    I had this problem too, but run as administrator worked for me. However....

I loaded the game and the sound doesn't link up with the graphics. By like, 15 seconds. Screw this, I'll buy the PS3 version. I played the demo and there were zero bugs.

But yes, this is rather pathetic. Wait all this time to get the free version, and it doesn't even work properly. Terrible.
  • edited February 2011
    This worked for me, too (running on Windows 7, free Episode 1).
  • edited February 2011
    I am also running this problem (cannot click play). I'm using Windows XP, so "Run as administrator" is not an option for me.
This discussion has been closed.