Episode 2 is great, but they really messed up the whole Paradox thing.

In a present where Doc never invented the time machine Marty would never have been able to travel back in time to alter Doc's time line to meet Edna int he way that they did. Thus they never would have met to begin with because he would have never traveled back in time. We can pretend this paradox doesn't exist, but this is probably one of the most glaring issues regarding paradoxes of the entire series.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    maybe, maybe not.

lets get an explanation!
  • And in part II in the alternate timeline, Doc is in a mental institution instead of building a time machine and marty is in swizerland, not hill valley and with Biff being rich, his grandson probably doesn't need to commit a robbery which will land Marty Jr. in jail and cause doc to bring marty to the future.

We dont know what happens exactly if there is a paradox, doc theorizes on it but we never see it happen (or maybe it does in the example above). Maybe it takes time for the timeline to catch up, who knows. One theory could be that timelines become parallel dimensions.

For instance lets say in part I, when doc is electrocuted by the lightning strike as marty is going back to the future, he dies; the timeline would go as marty showing up in 1955, showing him the video of his older self from another dimension, marty returns to 1985 with the delorean but the time circuits and flux capacitor disappear or stop working and the is no shootout at the mall.

Or had marty and buford had the gunfight at the end of part III and one died, you could extrapolate that the same way. (no biff and griff, no marty jr.)
  • edited February 2011
    MJFC, thats not the point. At no place in the alternate time line in BTTF2 is it made clear that Doc never invented the time machine. In the new 1986, its quite likely that the time machine was NEVER invented.
  • edited February 2011
    I just find it really hard to believe that these people wouldn't have thought up a reason for all this in Episode 3.
  • edited February 2011
    MJFC, thats not the point. At no place in the alternate time line in BTTF2 is it made clear that Doc never invented the time machine. In the new 1986, its quite likely that the time machine was NEVER invented.

Furthermore if it was ever invented, it's less likely that Marty got a hold to it since Doc doesn't sound as friendly anymore.

The only logical explanation to all of these is that Doc was wrong for the entirety of the trilogy, and paradoxes do not bring the downfall of the universe "as we know it".
  • edited February 2011
    BUT...Marty (1986 self) still needs to be able to travel to the past to cause the events to occur.
    Remember the end of Part2 (or beginning of ep 2)? Marty arrives as his past self leaves, creating a time loop. If the time loop is not maintained, the timeline will revert to its original form.
    Also...someone wrote that at the end of ep2, there is no flux capacitor.

You also have the case of the predestination paradox
    (the time traveller is in the past, which means they were in the past before. Therefore, their presence is vital to the future, and they do something that causes the future to occur in the same way that their knowledge of the future has already happened).

Quote from wikipedia:
    In the film Back to the Future Marty plays Chuck Berry's future song Johnny B. Goode, which then is relayed to Chuck Berry, resulting in the song having no original creator. Also, after Marty leaves, his future mother Lorraine states that she likes the name Marty, making Marty's name a possible instance of the bootstrap paradox.
  • edited February 2011
    Back to the Future has never had a very good grasp on time travel and paradoxes, but that doesn't make it any less entertaining for me.

Anyway, I view time travel as inter-dimensional hopping more than changing history. Say, when he went back and stopped his parents from getting married, his original timeline still existed, he just branced into an alternate universe where his parents never got married.

I see time travel as a train track. You can go in a straight line, but if you went backwards to one of those off-shoots and went on a different track, you'd be going in the same direction, just parallel to your original track, as it were. In that case, the current timeline Marty is in may have never had a time machine created in it, but that's irrelevant, as Marty came from another dimension.

Of course, that's where the BTTF series had a few problems. They mixed a few ideas of time travel. You had Marty disappearing because he stopped his parents meeting, indicating the existence of only one timeline, but in the second movie you had our Marty having time travelled and experienced all this, even though in 'Hell Valley' Doc wouldn't have made the time machine.

Long story short; it's suspension of belief, just enjoy it :p
  • edited February 2011
    In Hell Valley Emmet Brown was commited but it was never made clear why, or whether or not he had created the time machine. Since he kept too himself he would, for the most part have remained unaffected by Evil Biff's existence, enough so that it is likely that the time machine still existed. Point is...its more likely that it does exist and the movie gave us no indication that the time machine wasn't invented in the alternate 1985.
  • edited February 2011
    In Hell Valley Emmet Brown was commited but it was never made clear why, or whether or not he had created the time machine. Since he kept too himself he would, for the most part have remained unaffected by Evil Biff's existence, enough so that it is likely that the time machine still existed. Point is...its more likely that it does exist and the movie gave us no indication that the time machine wasn't invented in the alternate 1985.

No. The newspaper declaring Emmett's incarceration in an asylum was dated 1983. Doc wouldn't have finished the time machine for another 2 years.
  • edited February 2011
    This is the temporal duplicate Delorean remember. It's probably impervious to all timeline disruptions for all we know. Or there's also the old "the process of time traveling protected it" explanation. But that doesn't explain Doc disappearing.
  • edited February 2011
    This is the temporal duplicate Delorean remember. It's probably impervious to all timeline disruptions for all we know.

There wouldn't be any duplication if original was never invented. Simple as that. Why would it have such a vague power all of a sudden? It's almost like movie magic. Wait...

Even going to back in time for one moment in time creates infinite amount of paradoxes. I guess that was the idea behind the dream sequence in the first episode. In all movies and this game, they've created numerous paradoxes that they weren't even aware of, while trying not to cause others. I believe space/time continuum simply somehow acknowledges time travel as another force of nature, therefore don't malfunction in itself to oblivion like how Doc estimates.
  • edited February 2011
    In one of the audio commentaries on the original DVD box set, Bob Gale and Robert Zemeckis explain that the Robert Silverberg novel, "Up The Line" helped inspire them to come up with the idea for "Back to the Future." (I've read that book and highly recommend it to anyone who loves BTTF/Time Travel). In the novel, it's revealed that when a person is in a different time period, he/she will not be affected by any changes/paradoxes until they return to their time of origin.
  • edited February 2011
    A very similar idea is put through on CT Crimson Echoes for those who happen to have learned of this. However in that game, you don't disappear from existence. BTTF has you disappear some time after time has been altered.
    What's interesting however is that now it seems the Delorean is being affected by time as well based on the accident we just saw

If that novel be correct however, Doc and the ticket should not have started phasing until after traveling back to 1986...
  • edited February 2011
    Falanca wrote: »
    There wouldn't be any duplication if original was never invented. Simple as that.

Unless it's impervious.

Clearly,the new Delorean exists in a state of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff,and normal rules don't apply.
  • edited February 2011
    I think everyone should just follow the MST3K Mantra :)
  • edited February 2011
    It's hard to speculate when we haven't played the entire series, Telltale do a good job of being true to the source material, and with some of the original creators on board, I doubt there will be any glaring plotholes left open by the time we've completed the entire series.

I do think the Delorean being a duplicate has something to do with it not vanishing though. We are definitely working with many multiple timelines (parallel dimensions) here. I look forward to see what direction the story takes now.
  • edited February 2011
    The fact remained that Doc vanished IN THE DELOREAN when Doc's timeline was drastically altered, leading to a future where he never invented the time machine. During this moment...the time machine should have also vanished, possibly losing Marty to the space time continuum...forever!!! :eek:
  • The fact remained that Doc vanished IN THE DELOREAN when Doc's timeline was drastically altered, leading to a future where he never invented the time machine. During this moment...the time machine should have also vanished, possibly losing Marty to the space time continuum...forever!!! :eek:

No it shouldn't, the delorean itself still exists in the citizen brown timeline, it just cant fly or travel through time hence why the time circuits and flux capacitor stop working and the car crashes.
  • edited March 2011
    No! The car would never have been able to exist as a time traveling machine. The delorean would NEVER have been modified and when doc vanished, so would the car, and Marty would be lampooned inside the space time continuum. Also the reason the game shows him crash is he swerves before he hits 88mph because he realizes something is wrong...but its too late!
  • I would imagine it is harder to brake while flying than it is while on the road. Hence why Doc attempts to stop marty but it's too late.
  • edited March 2011
    No! The car would never have been able to exist as a time traveling machine. The delorean would NEVER have been modified and when doc vanished, so would the car, and Marty would be lampooned inside the space time continuum. Also the reason the game shows him crash is he swerves before he hits 88mph because he realizes something is wrong...but its too late!

Perhaps. But I think that according to Back to the Future laws of time traveling and etc that instead Doc Brown should have stayed in the DeLorean and either been able to meet his duplicate, the enigmatic Citizen Brown, or there would be only him in the present day and he would have retained all of his original time line knowledge and memories until the time ripple caught up with them. My proof? Back to the Future 2 shows Marty and Doc in the alternate 1985 (as well as when in the game's episode 2 when both return to the present day 1986 to find the Tannen crime syndicate). In both these examples Marty has been sent away from Hill Valley for one reason or another by Biff, etc, and in BTTF 2's 1985A Doc is committed to an insane asylum. If the rules of the game's episode 2 ending/episode3 applied to the second movie, then Marty would find himself with different memories banished outside Hill Valley and Doc would be in a mental ward and that ending for the trilogy would have really sucked. Doc disappearing from the DeLorean in the ending of the game's episode 2 is more for drama than accuracy of the movies or real [theoretically, of course, as it's not real] time travel, etc.

And, yes, there would be no car. ;-)
  • edited March 2011
    Falanca wrote: »
    Furthermore if it was ever invented, it's less likely that Marty got a hold to it since Doc doesn't sound as friendly anymore.

The only logical explanation to all of these is that Doc was wrong for the entirety of the trilogy, and paradoxes do not bring the downfall of the universe "as we know it".

I see it as a ripple. It takes time for the ripple in the river of time to catch up to our time travelers, explaining why Marty and Doc's memories aren't changed to fit those of their alternate versions of that alternate time line. Or if the alternate dimension theory is true, then Marty and Doc should never be effected by the ripple as they have exact duplicates elsewhere in that time period that never went back in time to come back in the first place, making them who came back from the past a sort of universal phenomenon. The way I see it, though, is that these ripples slowly heal the space/time continuum like a fleshly body heals itself from a cut or wound. It takes time for the time stream to heal itself with those ripples (which is weird since it's time itself we're talking about; shouldn't the ripples have already made it to the future/present before they get back there?). Think of how they also look at photos to tell when someone is being erased from existence. It slowly takes time. Why? For the plot of the movie to take place, of course. ;-)
  • edited March 2011
    No it shouldn't, the delorean itself still exists in the citizen brown timeline, it just cant fly or travel through time hence why the time circuits and flux capacitor stop working and the car crashes.

DING DING DING! We have a winner! That's some smooth thinking, there! ;-)
  • Perhaps. But I think that according to Back to the Future laws of time traveling and etc that instead Doc Brown should have stayed in the DeLorean and either been able to meet his duplicate, the enigmatic Citizen Brown, or there would be only him in the present day and he would have retained all of his original time line knowledge and memories until the time ripple caught up with them. My proof? Back to the Future 2 shows Marty and Doc in the alternate 1985 (as well as when in the game's episode 2 when both return to the present day 1986 to find the Tannen crime syndicate). In both these examples Marty has been sent away from Hill Valley for one reason or another by Biff, etc, and in BTTF 2's 1985A Doc is committed to an insane asylum. If the rules of the game's episode 2 ending/episode3 applied to the second movie, then Marty would find himself with different memories banished outside Hill Valley and Doc would be in a mental ward and that ending for the trilogy would have really sucked. Doc disappearing from the DeLorean in the ending of the game's episode 2 is more for drama than accuracy of the movies or real [theoretically, of course, as it's not real] time travel, etc.

And, yes, there would be no car. ;-)

I brought up this point a few weeks ago but got a logical answer from telltale. There probably shouldn't be 2 doc's and 2 marty's, that hasn't happened in any other alternate timeline other than the end of part I when marty arrives prior to leaving.

Here is why doc disappears; the Doc we all know and love is older than he should naturally be in 1986 due to all the time travelling. Since we can assume FCB does not travel through time, the doc we are with either gets transported to his natural timeline (ie. if he's spent 20 years time travelling, he would be taken to 2006) or similar to what happens to biff in part II, he shortens his lifespan in the new timeline and disappears.

Let's assume the following timelines;
    Doc is born in 1914 making him 71 years old in 1985. He spends 29 years of his life time travelling meaning he's lived for 100 years.
    In the FCB timeline, he dies some time between 1986 and 2015 (the year he would turn 100 without time travelling). This is why he disappears. You could argue he gets transported to say 2015 but if that were true, when they returned to alternate 1985 in part II, marty likely would have arrived in early november since he'd spent a week time travelling.
  • edited March 2011
    So far, through all the explanations on here the only one that still doesn't jive with me is why the Delorean is still there. I've seen the "it malfunctioned because of xyz reasoning" At the end of ep 2, the Delorean is still completely intact. The time circuits, and flux capacitor are visible. The tires are in "hover position" Mr. Fusion is also there.

The way i figure it best is: The Delorean we know from ep 1 was just simply created in an alternate time line that still exists along side the ones we jump through. I guess nothing we do will erase that timeline. But then thats the time line where Doc had his surgery..... :confused:
  • edited March 2011
    It's sorta obvious where it came from...its in the opening sequence of Episode 1! Marty has a dream about an alternate time line, one in which th Einstein experiment goes wrong and sends Einstein exactly one years into the future. How it appears at Docs house, well thats a leap of "writing faith" we will have to take.
  • zounds! wrote: »
    So far, through all the explanations on here the only one that still doesn't jive with me is why the Delorean is still there. I've seen the "it malfunctioned because of xyz reasoning" At the end of ep 2, the Delorean is still completely intact. The time circuits, and flux capacitor are visible. The tires are in "hover position" Mr. Fusion is also there.

The way i figure it best is: The Delorean we know from ep 1 was just simply created in an alternate time line that still exists along side the ones we jump through. I guess nothing we do will erase that timeline. But then thats the time line where Doc had his surgery..... :confused:

I guess it's the same logic as the picture of the tombstomb in the 3rd film; at the end the tombstome in the picture vanishes but the picture itself doesn't.
  • edited March 2011
    Or we can say...the movie and game abandons logic in order to tell a story thats compelling.
  • edited March 2011
    It's sorta obvious where it came from...its in the opening sequence of Episode 1! Marty has a dream about an alternate time line, one in which th Einstein experiment goes wrong and sends Einstein exactly one years into the future. How it appears at Docs house, well thats a leap of "writing faith" we will have to take.

A. The opening is merely symbolism and foreshadowing. It makes no sense in universe for Marty to have that dream.
    B. The game takes place six months later, not one year.
  • edited March 2011
    zounds! wrote: »

It could be the duplication made that DeLorean special and immune to ripples in the time line. Like Fry in Futurama when he became his own grandpa (although that's just disturbing, really, lol).
  • edited March 2011
    Or we can say...the movie and game abandons logic in order to tell a story thats compelling.

This is the best explanation so far.
  • edited March 2011
    I have a thought too... while Its hard to know if it will be a paradox or not per say.. The Delorean ok, we established it can exist without the flying etc.

However we ALSO know Marty had Docs notes. Now while we dont know if the notes vanished or not, we also dont know if with all this stuff Marty had been exposed to, that Marty himself MAYBE fixed the Delorean somehow? Im sure Marty isnt that stupid to have not caught some tech specs of how this all worked.
  • edited March 2011
    As I already mentioned in another thread I think the major problem is HOW the rules of time-travel work in BTTF. The movies are inconsequent.
    Basically there are 2 possibilities:

A) time-travelling and changing history affects not only all other people but the time-traveller as well. If you prevent your own birth you would die. That's what BTTF I indicated by Marty slowly getting "erased from existance". But that would also cause the famous "grandfather-paradoxon". This theory would not fit with the common LAW OF CAUSE AND EFFECT. If the time-traveller erases the cause to do his time-travel you will get this paradoxon. And there you stick ad infinitum.

B) time-travelling works with the multiple-universe-theory. Changing history creates a parallel universe where the time-traveller now is in and all the changes do not have an effect on the time-traveller itself because he is from the "original" / parallel universe. That's what BTTF I indicated by Marty wondering about the changes at his home at the end of the first movie. He was obviously from the "orignial" 1985, the parallel universe at the beginning of the movie, where George was a chicken and Biff the goon. His interference with 1955 and causing George to develop a more self-confident personality led to an alternate 1985 (created a parallel universe).

my personal preference is for B because it does never create a paradoxon nor leads to an unlogic situation. But of course B doesn't work with the ripple effect: the photo taken from the tombstone in BTTF III would be from the 1955 which followed the 1885 where Doc was shot. So when Marty changed 1885 he created a parallel universe with a different development. The following 1955 would have a graveyard without Doc's tombstone. But the picture was taken in an alternate 1955 - the one BEFORE he changed 1885. So the picture with the tombstone would stay intact.
    The movie doesn't have a very "logical" explanation of all this because it fails at several points: when the tombstone vanishes, why should the foto exist? Why should Marty in 1955 take a foto of an empty space at the graveyard? Why would Marty in 1955 even return to 1885 if Doc was not shot?
    Why did Marty not vanish after saving Doc's life? There's no more reasen why he should be in the wild west.

Following explanation B above would lead to this: after Marty saved Doc's life the foto would stay the same as HE stays the same. the only problem would occur AFTER marty returns to 1985 in the end. there he would meet his own duplicate: the Marty that was stuck in 1955, got Doc's letter, took out the Delorean of the Delgado mine BUT DID NOT see any tombstone at the graveyard and thus returned without worries to 1985.

the same problem with deleting the CAUSE of a time-travel occurs in the game. The newspaper said that Artie McFly died and that was the reason why Marty travelled back one day to save him. He managed to do so and returned to Doc, seeing his dublicate just seconds before the time-jump. But why the heck should this happen? there is no newspaper anymore which tells about Arties death because he is NOT dead. So what caused Marty to travel back?

Same with the TCB-opening. Why should Doc disappear? Because he didn't get that old in this timeline? Hell if Doc wouldn't get this old, he wouln't even ever have landed in 1931, so all the events of episode I and II would never have been happened which would not only cause also Marty to vanish and be back in 1986 BUT also would lead to the paradoxon, that if Doc died earlier and all the events of epI and epII didn't happen then there would be no citizen brown which means Doc could get older, which means there would be epI and epII which means that there is citizen brown which means Doc dies earlier which means that epI and epII didn't happen which means....

see. option A (the time-traveller gets affected of the changes he implies) does simply not work. there will always be a paradoxon if you intefere with THE LAW OF CAUSE AND EFFECT.
  • edited March 2011
    I brought up this point a few weeks ago but got a logical answer from telltale. There probably shouldn't be 2 doc's and 2 marty's, that hasn't happened in any other alternate timeline other than the end of part I when marty arrives prior to leaving.

Here is why doc disappears; the Doc we all know and love is older than he should naturally be in 1986 due to all the time travelling. Since we can assume FCB does not travel through time, the doc we are with either gets transported to his natural timeline (ie. if he's spent 20 years time travelling, he would be taken to 2006) or similar to what happens to biff in part II, he shortens his lifespan in the new timeline and disappears.

Let's assume the following timelines;
    Doc is born in 1914 making him 71 years old in 1985. He spends 29 years of his life time travelling meaning he's lived for 100 years.
    In the FCB timeline, he dies some time between 1986 and 2015 (the year he would turn 100 without time travelling). This is why he disappears. You could argue he gets transported to say 2015 but if that were true, when they returned to alternate 1985 in part II, marty likely would have arrived in early november since he'd spent a week time travelling.

Apparently you have never seen BTTF Part II. Where there are two docs and two Marty's in 1955. So, um yea. You can take your BTTF fan hat off now. ;P
Sign in to comment in this discussion.