Machinama short: CONTEST! Why not?

edited March 2007 in Sam & Max
Hello guys!

This morning, in class, I thought something:

Why not a little contest?
Everybody write a script for a machinama short, and the best script will be on the next short!

So, Mr. Administrator, is it possible? Is it a good idea?

PS: Oh! And if Steve Purcell or Dave Grossman could be judge... :p

So, what do you think of this?

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Awesome idea. :)
  • edited March 2007
    Unless of corse the shorts are planned and made far ahead in advance, in which case we may be too late
  • edited March 2007
    There could be legal issues with it... unless TTG made it a contest or something.

Hey EMily: it would be a good marketing ploy :-D
  • edited March 2007
    Legal issues with what? I think he is just referring to writing a script for the shorts, not actually creating them. Is fan fiction part of the legal realm?
  • edited March 2007
    Actually, if we made the shorts ourselves I think it'd be more legal. Or at least more simple. Having one of us write the script while they produce the short is a bit more complicated, because your work was free but theirs wasn't, and they're under contract but you aren't, and blah blah blah...
  • edited March 2007
    I'm sure they already at the very least made the scripts for all of them, but as a bussiness they should always be open for new ideas for customer interaction.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2007
    Doug actually had this idea like three months ago, and then we kept forgetting to ask the lawyers if it would be okay, and by the time the lawyer and I connected about it, it was too late (voice recording had already been done for the final set of shorts). :( (And yes, there are potential legal issues with us creating shorts based on scripts written by non-employees, which is why I had to ask the lawyer about it!)

Definitely something we'll consider for the future, though. I think it's a great idea.
  • edited March 2007
    Could always just turn people INTO employees :P (Did I mention I'm a writer? :D)
  • edited March 2007
    Working as a 3D-animator, I would just love to get my hands on the Sam & Max character meshes, just to create some animation myself... but I guess this is out of question.
  • edited March 2007
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Could always just turn people INTO employees :P (Did I mention I'm a writer? :D)

I figure if I hang around long enough on this forum they'll hire me :D :D :p
  • edited March 2007
    Working as a 3D-animator, I would just love to get my hands on the Sam & Max character meshes, just to create some animation myself... but I guess this is out of question.

Max would be insanely easy to replicate in a modeling program. Sam wouldn't be much harder.
  • edited March 2007
    Hero1 wrote: »
    I figure if I hang around long enough on this forum they'll hire me :D :D :p

Resume: I keep posting on your forums, isn't that good enough!?!?
  • edited March 2007
    Derwin wrote: »
    Resume: I keep posting on your forums, isn't that good enough!?!?
    'So hire me already, or I'll also stalk you in real life.'
  • edited March 2007
    You don't even have to pay me, I just require a butler named Herschel, 32 pounds of pure granola dust, and every Telltale employee to name their firstborn child after me. If any of them have children already, then they must have their names changed. Also, a shrine to me made of papaya shavings and shattered Lost DVDs. And a Porsche.
  • edited March 2007
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Max would be insanely easy to replicate in a modeling program. Sam wouldn't be much harder.

Sure, but I'm some lazy ass... (although I'm working for about 32 hours straight right now... 3D-modeling by the way... find the irony).
  • edited March 2007
    They can hire me as a telltale critic! :p :p
  • edited March 2007
    Emily wrote: »
    And yes, there are potential legal issues with us creating shorts based on scripts written by non-employees, which is why I had to ask the lawyer about it!

this is what I was implying with my original post above. See, I'm not crazy!!!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.