Manure - too much of it? (spoilers)

I had this thought after (or to be honest, when it happened) the final scene in Get Tannen! - I know this was something that was a given from the beginning of the series, that any Tannen would have his encounter with his most reeking enemy - the manure truck (or manure in general).

However, in the movies, unless my memory is way off, this didn't happen all the time. It happened once or twice in each of the films. Since the Telltales episodes is linked and could be compared to one long film/story, don't you think this manure thing is getting a bit abused? Having it happen in every episode would be like having it happen five times in one movie, which would be way too much if you ask me. It's too predictable and not really any funny any more. What if they made some kind of joke out of it, do something original with the idea. They need to renew the joke, as it's pretty stale already.

I guess this could be one of those things you'd miss if it wasn't there, but if you do it all the time that's not right either.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Yeah, I was happy to see the manure truck in episode one, but its inclusion in episode two just felt forced. The climax of the action doesn't ALWAYS have to be manure! It's not the only way to deal with Tannens; sometimes a McFly can punch them instead!
  • edited February 2011
    In part 1, he stepped in manure after chasing Marty around the park. In part 2 he fell in the manure truck after a little flight in young Emmet's rocket car.... I see no problem here?
  • edited February 2011
    Definitely my thoughts.

I would love it if the only appearance of manure was the first one, where Kid just steps on some after a chase scene. Now that one was subtle, funny, creative and intelligent.

The other two are just rehashing.
    mpuone wrote: »
    In part 1, he stepped in manure after chasing Marty around the park. In part 2 he fell in the manure truck after a little flight in young Emmet's rocket car.... I see no problem here?

He also crashed the police car he was driving into a manure truck at the end of episode 1. It's too much for only 2 parts I think.
  • edited February 2011
    Falanca wrote: »
    I would love it if the only appearance of manure was the first one, where Kid just steps on some after a chase scene. Now that one was subtle, funny, creative and intelligent.

This is exactly the kind of thing I want. Subtle, clever and fitting of the situation. But apparently, there are a LOT of manure trucks driving around in the world of BTTF.
  • edited February 2011
    I was actually going to make a thread about this. Anyway, as Falanca said, when Kid stepped in it after that chase, that was great. The bit where he drove into it seemed great at first, but now seems like it was stuck in there as fan service, for obivous reasons. I thought the third joke was just, put in there as though that is the only way to end a Tannen. I mean, how does a manure truck just randomly appear in a particular place? Or who leaves them out in the middle of no where?
    Also, am I the only one who saw the line: "And for smelling like a piece of crap!" could have been said with "Crap" replaced with "Sh*t"? It seems weird we had them saying that (and other things) in Ep.1, but not in Ep.2.
  • Well look at it this way; the 3 back to the future films take place in basically a 2 week span in marty's life and are basically shown continuously.
    Part I (which was supposed to be a stand alone film), the manure incident was both funny but also important to the plot as it's what truly made biff HATE marty (along with jealousy over lorraine) hence setting up the george punch out.

In part II (filmed simutaneously with part III), the manure crash was more of a gag because Biff crashes into the same truck as in the first one the same day he gets his car back

In part III, buford did not need to fall into manure, it was just a gag and kind of fitting the BTTF model of history (or in this case future history) repeating itself, in fact he even uses the same line biff uses in part II "I hate manure" after spitting it out of its mouth.

I think personally if we were 2 episodes in and no manure, there'd be thread asking why Kid hasn't landed in manure yet.

My beef though is in the 2nd one, kid comes out of it with no stains on his body/clothes. Not saying we needed an elaborite depiction of feces on Kid but he should have at least had something on him.
  • edited February 2011
    My beef though is in the 2nd one, kid comes out of it with no stains on his body/clothes. Not saying we needed an elaborite depiction of feces on Kid but he should have at least had something on him.

I fully agree, the whole episode seemed rushed and lacking detail. it was so short and un fulfilling it seemed like it was cut off the back of episode one for the sake of having an extra episode.

I really hope the next episode doesn't have anything to do with manure, and I hope they turn this around to be a unique BTTF story, so far it is nothing more than a nostalgia fest.
  • edited February 2011
    Steveeeie wrote: »
    I fully agree, the whole episode seemed rushed and lacking detail. it was so short and un fulfilling it seemed like it was cut off the back of episode one for the sake of having an extra episode.

I really hope the next episode doesn't have anything to do with manure, and I hope they turn this around to be a unique BTTF story, so far it is nothing more than a nostalgia fest.

Well, the next episode appears to not involve the Tannens as antagonists anyway, so we'll hopefully not see Doc crash a car into Manure.
  • Ribs wrote: »
    Well, the next episode appears to not involve the Tannens as antagonists anyway, so we'll hopefully not see Doc crash a car into Manure.

Yeah biffs one line in the preview of episode 3 (in response to marty saying holy crap) was 'please dont curse it makes me uncomfortable'. Not sure if Biff is just thrown in for the sake of him being there or if he's an integral part of the plot but I'd bet this would be the most 'wussified' version of Biff that we see. I'm actually thinking we could see biff as a protagonist of sorts, helping marty for the first time. Doc does seem like he will be an antagonist of sorts for the first time so maybe we will get a role reversal? And yes I only find the manure funny because it's happening to the antagonists, it wouldnt be funny if a random character falls in manure and FCB timeline Biff does not appear to be a villain.
  • edited February 2011
    The next one is obvious. In 2025 Griff crashes the Delorean into a flying Manure Truck...he swallows the manure accidentally instead of spitting it out. Lol of the century!!
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah biffs one line in the preview of episode 3 (in response to marty saying holy crap) was 'please dont curse it makes me uncomfortable'. Not sure if Biff is just thrown in for the sake of him being there or if he's an integral part of the plot but I'd bet this would be the most 'wussified' version of Biff that we see. I'm actually thinking we could see biff as a protagonist of sorts, helping marty for the first time. Doc does seem like he will be an antagonist of sorts for the first time so maybe we will get a role reversal? And yes I only find the manure funny because it's happening to the antagonists, it wouldnt be funny if a random character falls in manure and FCB timeline Biff does not appear to be a villain.

In an Epic final battle with Evil Doc, Marty throws Evil Doc into the Citizen Brown, Brown Manure truck, and that is where he dies an epic, cinematic death.
  • The next one is obvious. In 2025 Griff crashes the Delorean into a flying Manure Truck...he swallows the manure accidentally instead of spitting it out. Lol of the century!!

Griff is the only tannen we have seen so far that has not landed in manure!
  • edited February 2011
    In 2025, Manure has Artificial Intelligence. Manure is smarter than people. But not Griff.
  • edited March 2011
    The manuer works if you look at it being used in seperate episodes. It is not like we see manuer and Tannen 3 or 4 times per episode is it ?
  • edited March 2011
    I definitely chuckled when Kid stepped in the dog manure and I thought that was a great nod to the movies.

The manure truck gag is getting old and I would have preferred for them to save that joke until the end of episode five. I think it would have been a nice way of finishing off the game.

In contrast to the manure gag, the game offers a lot of clever references and jokes so it doesn't bother me enough to dislike the game for it.
  • edited March 2011
    Evil Doc should fall into a vat of Cow Diarhea.
  • edited March 2011
    I'm almost afraid to ask, but for what purpose woud one leave a vat of cow diarhea lying about?
  • edited March 2011
    In the alternate present they fertilize hovering farm land with Cow diarhea, finding that it makes out crops more "fertile and delicious".
  • edited March 2011
    Too much manure? Tsk tsk, no such thing as too much. Not enough!

Cow pie, it's what's for dinner!
  • edited March 2011
    Yea!! Lets see Marty spoon feeding Manure to Griff! That would be the epicness of all epics.
  • edited March 2011
    It turns out that the Tannens are actually manure.
  • edited March 2011
    zounds! wrote: »
    It turns out that the Tannens are actually manure.

*Spoiler*
  • edited March 2011
    Ribs wrote: »

I actually kind of want Doc to fall in manure. That would be a funny and unexpected twist (If he is the bad guy.) Sure the manure truck thing is kind of old, but it is a classic. Or maybe a cow or horse or camel spits on him. It would make it more classic to wait till episode 5 to do the manure truck thing, but we would have to wait at least 5 months. I can not wait till episode 3!!!!! Does anyone have a specified date? I heard it comes out March 9, 2011 but I could be wrong.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.