They forgot the dog

edited March 2011 in Back to the Future
How can they forget Einstein at the end of episode 1. How can they leave him in the 1930s and then just casually in episode 2 laugh about it saying "This time we didn't forget Einstein"

This is not typical of Marty and Doc to do such a thing...

Comments

• edited March 2011
    They have a time machine. Doc was probably going to go back and get Einstein after he spoke with the bank.
  • edited March 2011
    Considering how close Doc and Einstein are, I doubt Doc would simply forget about him. I agree that he would probably go back in time to pick up Einstein after wrapping up the business at the bank.
  • edited March 2011
    Considering how close Doc and Einstein are, I doubt Doc would simply forget about him. I agree that he would probably go back in time to pick up Einstein after wrapping up the business at the bank.

Agreed. But when they found that the Tannens were running Hill Valley into the ground, getting Kid arrested took priority, so Doc had little choice but to go to August, leaving Einstein there for a while.
  • edited March 2011
    Agreed. But when they found that the Tannens were running Hill Valley into the ground, getting Kid arrested took priority, so Doc had little choice but to go to August, leaving Einstein there for a while.

You're absolutely right about Einstein spending some time in 1931 but it's not as if Einstein was in danger during his stay. No doubt that Emmett would keep an eye on him. The bottom line is that Doc would have gone back for Einstein at some point instead of forgetting all about him.
  • edited March 2011
    ....... but it's not as if Einstein was in danger during his stay.

You mean aside from Emmet stuffing him in a "rocket car" and blasting him into buildings all over town? Poor doggy. :(
  • edited March 2011
    zounds! wrote: »
    You mean aside from Emmet stuffing him in a "rocket car" and blasting him into buildings all over town? Poor doggy. :(

Einstein's a sturdy dog. He's used to Doc's wacky experiments. ;)
  • edited March 2011

So you're upset that Einstein wasn't picked up by Doc, the guy that stuffed him into a delorean that he converted into a plutonium-powered time machine? ;)

I think the term "out of the frying pan and into the fire" is applicable here :p
  • edited March 2011
    I have no idea why Einstein puts up with those crazy people.
  • edited March 2011
    OrangeAce wrote: »
    So you're upset that Einstein wasn't picked up by Doc, the guy that stuffed him into a delorean that he converted into a plutonium-powered time machine? ;)

I think the term "out of the frying pan and into the fire" is applicable here :p

I think people tend to forget that.

Also, Emmett stated that Einstein had been a very willing test subject, "almost like he's been working with me for years." ;)
  • edited March 2011
    Poor Einstein... poor Marty, geez. At some point, you'd think he'd start to get a little frustrated with Doc's irresponsible use of time travel. I mean, after everything that had almost gone horribly wrong tampering with 1955, did going to the '30s really seem like such a good idea...?? I mean, right in Hill Valley and everything? And then tampering with his younger self (did he just assume it was a good idea because it went so well in the '50s?), and...

I mean, think about it. Marty's almost been erased from existence multiple times, almost got run over by cars or gotten shot on various occasions, he's seen his whole family life change in lots of creepy, subtle ways- admittedly, mostly nice ones, but still, gotta be a little unnerving... his girlfriend almost got erased from existence... I mean, if I were Marty, at some point I'd have to stop and say "You suck, Doc!" XD

Anyway, they didn't really acknowledge it, but I think maybe what Doc and Marty were thinking in leaving Einstein behind was similar to their reasons for leaving him and Jennifer behind during their trip to 1955 back in Part II, Doc explaining that the timeline would change around them and that they'd be fine... which seemed pretty dodgy at the time too, in all honesty. >> Seriously, Doc makes all kinds of serious decisions based on crazy, completely untested guesses.

But, ah well, such are the affairs of mad science, and you gotta kinda love the guy, you know? And to be perfectly fair, Marty knew darn well what he was getting into by this point, and he lives for this stuff, I think.

But what we really should be asking is, where'd Doc put that hoverboard? If I were Marty, I'd be like "Hey Doc, when you get a chance can I have that hoverboard back? That hoverboard sure was handy, and, I mean, it's not like I'd show anyone. I mean, it's pink!" and I seriously doubt Doc can in all fairness deny the request based on stuff about responsible time travel, 'cause, I mean... yeahhhhh...
  • edited March 2011
    OrangeAce wrote: »

At least Doc put Einsteins seatbelt on.
  • edited March 2011

Yeah, that seatbelt would've really helped if the car had disintegrated like Marty thought. >_> :p
  • edited March 2011

I don't know how helpful the seatbelt would be if the car did crash. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnOGXCnTOj0
  • edited March 2011
    I don't know how helpful the seatbelt would be if the car did crash. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnOGXCnTOj0

yeah, that car was going like 25 miles an hour and it just got totaled
  • edited March 2011
    yeah, that car was going like 25 miles an hour and it just got totaled

Whereas the game's DeLorean was going HOW fast when Doc rammed Kid's limo or when Marty flew it into that billboard? :rolleyes:
  • edited March 2011
    actually the car was hitting a wall at 40 miles an hour. the wall was built to have no give. That means according to physics, it was actually an 80 mph crash as the momentum is rebounded back on the vehicle. limos have give, and billboards aren't built to have no give, so both wouldn't exactly apply.
  • edited March 2011
    still though... 80 mile an hour collision and you are toast. No chance. They always made such a big deal about solid steel construction...smooosh.

Not that you have a great chance at survival at those speeds anyway.
  • edited March 2011
    still though... 80 mile an hour collision and you are toast. No chance. They always made such a big deal about solid steel construction...smooosh.

Not that you have a great chance at survival at those speeds anyway.

Which...how fast was Marty going when he arrived in 1985 after the lightning bolt at the clock tower? ;) Or when he smashed through that billboard at the end of Get Tannen? That is one TOUGH DeLorean.

Though that crash test doesn't make the car look like it's made of steel...more like aluminum.
  • edited March 2011
    All speculation aside, I'm very eager to see how Einstein/Copernicus fits into all of this.
  • edited March 2011
    Einstein dies saving Doc in the final episode. *spoiler*
  • edited March 2011
    Doc forgets Einstein in the final episode, and goes forward in time, then destroying the Delorian once and for all. In the 80s, in a Hill Valley Historical Museum run by Edna, Doc and Marty see a petrified corpse of a very familiar looking dog. "Einstein! He looks so happy...I guess he lived a full life after we forgot him. No...it would be best if we didn't alter his future. He's better off," Doc says happily, tears running down his cheeks. The end credits show Einstein waiting where Doc left him, year after year, until he turns old and closes his eyes one last time.

^_^
  • edited March 2011
    I don't think that's what we meant when we said we wanted Telltale to do a Futurama game. :P
  • edited March 2011
    doc forgets einstein in the final episode, and goes forward in time, then destroying the delorian once and for all. In the 80s, in a hill valley historical museum run by edna, doc and marty see a petrified corpse of a very familiar looking dog. "einstein! He looks so happy...i guess he lived a full life after we forgot him. No...it would be best if we didn't alter his future. He's better off," doc says happily, tears running down his cheeks. The end credits show einstein waiting where doc left him, year after year, until he turns old and closes his eyes one last time.

^_^

roflmao.
  • edited March 2011
    Doc forgets Einstein in the final episode, and goes forward in time, then destroying the Delorian once and for all. In the 80s, in a Hill Valley Historical Museum run by Edna, Doc and Marty see a petrified corpse of a very familiar looking dog. "Einstein! He looks so happy...I guess he lived a full life after we forgot him. No...it would be best if we didn't alter his future. He's better off," Doc says happily, tears running down his cheeks. The end credits show Einstein waiting where Doc left him, year after year, until he turns old and closes his eyes one last time.

^_^

Awwwww...poor Seymo...I mean Einstein. lol

Also everyone...is it really so hard to believe that Doc could have simply forgotten Einstein in a fit of absent-mindedness? He left all of his timed equipment on all week while he was working on the time machine, left the case of plutonium in his laboratory, forgot to put said plutonium in the DeLorean's trunk before he was going to make a trip 25 years into the future, etc.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.