Option to combine all episodes.

We should get an update after the final episode that allows us to play through all the episodes without interruption. This would be a nice mode, and I don't think it would be too hard to implement.

Support?

Comments

• edited March 2011
    While I agree that would be a nice option, from the way other seasons of other games have gone, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.
  • edited March 2011
    We should get an update after the final episode that allows us to play through all the episodes without interruption. This would be a nice mode, and I don't think it would be too hard to implement.

Support?

nope.png
  • edited March 2011
    I'd like it, but given that they didn't do it with the other games, I doubt it will happen. I don't really get why they don't just have one base program and treat the later episodes the same way other games treat DLC.
  • edited March 2011
    This is something the fans have been begging for after every season .... so far NO LUCK.
  • edited March 2011
    The beginning/ending aesthetic of the episodes would be kind of weird though.
  • edited March 2011
    it would be great, cause like in monkey island, they had acts, so I think they could put together a dvd were the game just comes into acts instead of episodes, which are still the same concept

the episodes are mainly acts anyway since they all have there own title

I think there not doing that though cause there making more money by calling them separate games
  • edited March 2011
    But they're meant to be separate episodes. Each episode ends with a lead-in to the next one, and each episode begins continuing that scene.

I guess it'd be nice for anyone trying to play all the episodes at once to not have to sit through four extra credits sequences, but at the same time it doesn't seem particularly necessary.
  • edited March 2011
    it doesn't seem particularly necessary.

Yeah, but it also doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do, either. Essentially it's just like any of the thousands of video games that let you select which stage you want to play.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2011
    Essentially it's just like any of the thousands of video games that let you select which stage you want to play.

It's not like that at all. It's actually more like any TV show that's released on DVD. A season of Lost isn't strung together into one crazy 20 hour extravaganza on DVD.

A Telltale series consists of five games that are developed and released independently. What you're asking for would require the team to go back and somehow mush these five games together into one big game. It's probably not impossible, but it's not easy, either. So then the question is whether devoting programming resources to a project like this is a cost effective decision, and considering that the games have already been released as episodes and stringing them together into a mega game is not likely to result in substantially more profit than releasing them as a five episode compilation would, chances are those resources could be better used in another way.

Sorry to be a downer, but I get passionate when someone says "but it's so easy!" about this kind of thing. If it were easy, Telltale would have done it long ago. :p
  • edited March 2011
    Emily wrote: »
    It's not like that at all. It's actually more like any TV show that's released on DVD. A season of Lost isn't strung together into one crazy 20 hour extravaganza on DVD.

A Telltale series consists of five games that are developed and released independently. What you're asking for would require the team to go back and somehow mush these five games together into one big game. It's probably not impossible, but it's not easy, either. So then the question is whether devoting programming resources to a project like this is a cost effective decision, and considering that the games have already been released as episodes and stringing them together into a mega game is not likely to result in substantially more profit than releasing them as a five episode compilation would, chances are those resources could be better used in another way.

Sorry to be a downer, but I get passionate when someone says "but it's so easy!" about this kind of thing. If it were easy, Telltale would have done it long ago. :p

I mean yea, it wouldn't be easy, I understand that that they would have to program the game to change it into one game, my idea is that if they wanted to, they could change it into acts like a traditional monkey island game, but the only problem with doing this is lets admit it, monkey island isn't a call of duty game, if they thought that it would benefit them, they would do it, its more of the fact that this would be a big waste of there time for a genre that isn't as played as much as other well known ones.

I love adventure games like this, it is a shame that in today's world that alot of gamers, and causal ones would rather shoot and drive then listen to a story and solve puzzles

I do agree about the shortness of the episodes(not sure about ep 2) bttf ep 1 was not as long as the tales series, I am kinda worried that its not going to be as long as tales
  • edited March 2011

... but a DVD has a "play all" button on it. :P A television series on DVD is split up onto multiple discs because it can't all fit on one disc. But these games are all already in one place--the hard drive. Is it really that tough to have one screen where I can access all five parts? Look at it this way. When you download something like say an expansion to the game, even if its entirely separate from the main game, it still runs from within the game. Most of the expansions from the first Dragon Age game were not accessible from within the main game's quest, but you didn't have to close out of Dragon Age and open Dragon Age Awakening once you finished the main story. From the same menu screen you start the original game, you just select to start the expansion instead.

I just don't see why you can't just have a base "Back to the Future" program, and if you download the second season, it shows up there. As it is right now, if I want to have all five episodes on my hard drive at once, aren't I installing most of the graphical/musical assets five separate times?
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2011
    Is it really that tough to have one screen where I can access all five parts?

You mean like a launcher? All of Telltale's DVDs have included that. :confused: (And the BTTF downloads support it already.)
  • edited March 2011
    zounds! wrote: »
    The beginning/ending aesthetic of the episodes would be kind of weird though.

They can just cut them off, really. For example, the nostalgic charm of that "story so far/title card chime" heard in BTtF:tG (you know, the one bit of sound that plays every time you start browsing through ingame menu, start a new game or load a saved game) has already disappeared within the borders of redundance. Cutting it off of every episode's beginning (except the first mayhaps) won't be bad I think.
    You mean like a launcher? All of Telltale's DVDs have included that. :confused: (And the BTTF downloads support it already.)

Yes, but the launcher comes within the downloadable game this time.
  • edited March 2011
    I think it'd be a fun option if they had a way where after you beat it, you can just watch the whole episode like a TV show. Maybe cut out some of the puzzles that require a lot of back and forth, or shorten them to just get the important information.
  • edited March 2011

Support?

I wish this were true with Sam and Max and Tales of Monkey Island as well.
  • edited March 2011
    Scnew wrote: »
    ... but a DVD has a "play all" button on it. :P A television series on DVD is split up onto multiple discs because it can't all fit on one disc. But these games are all already in one place--the hard drive. Is it really that tough to have one screen where I can access all five parts? Look at it this way. When you download something like say an expansion to the game, even if its entirely separate from the main game, it still runs from within the game. Most of the expansions from the first Dragon Age game were not accessible from within the main game's quest, but you didn't have to close out of Dragon Age and open Dragon Age Awakening once you finished the main story. From the same menu screen you start the original game, you just select to start the expansion instead.

I just don't see why you can't just have a base "Back to the Future" program, and if you download the second season, it shows up there. As it is right now, if I want to have all five episodes on my hard drive at once, aren't I installing most of the graphical/musical assets five separate times?

But ... TellTale has already done what you're asking for. The DVD discs have a menu where you click on which episode you want to play and BTTF game without the disc has a menu you can click on a different episode. It lets me play either episode 1 or 2 of the BTTF series from this menu. No, there's no play all, but there is this and you did ask for it above if I'm not mistaken. I have all 3 Sam and Max DVD discs and I remember Season 1 and 3 had an episode select menu that would play the episode (not install, but play). It's been a while but I'm assuming season 2 had a menu as well. I expect the other TellTale games to be similar.
  • edited March 2011
    Scnew wrote: »
    ... but a DVD has a "play all" button on it.

Unless Fox releases it...
  • edited March 2011
    BTTF is also their highest profile project. Since they are saying they are looking into releasing it on 360 (likely all episodes as one full game), then it seems reasonable that we could DL an update that merges the episodes, but still giving us the option to play them as if episodic. It would be a nice, salable feature.
  • edited March 2011
    I think the ONLY valid argument against it is that each episode can have different people working on it depending on the episode... Those people deserve to have their credit shown in the credits after each episode...

That being said I would love for the next episode to start right after the last.... AFTER the credits.
  • edited March 2011
    We could get a credit list at the end game, and the credits could specify everyones contributions per episode. It would be like watching a movie and after every scene they show you the credits of the scene, before going to the next. It breaks the flow.
  • edited March 2011
    and all the credits should be read by Murray ... like on ToMI chap 3
  • edited March 2011
    An option that wouldn't be hard to program though would be at the end of the episode, the game checks to see if the next is installed and gives you an option to launch. "Would you like to continue to episode 3?" You press yess and it closes that episode and boots the next. This might be difficult for Pc, but definitely doable on a console (where all the games would be installed to the same directory).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.