What JP3 needed to be great...

2»

Comments

• edited April 2011
    There is a plot, and it isn't bad either. It could have had a better plot, but it was still a good plot. TLW has less plot then JP3.

Oh, please, that's just ridiculous!

Let's see...

The Lost World:
    -Family stumbles on island where InGen originally bred dinosaurs, injury of child leads to lawsuit

-John Hammond's conniving nephew uses this as opportunity to take over company and harvest dinos from Site B in order to bail InGen out of Chapter 11 with new JP in San Diego

-Hammond assembles team to create the "most spectacular photo record the world has ever known" to generate public support for protection of the dinosaurs

-Both teams head to island, clash, Green Peace fanatic gets both parties stranded

-Hunters and Researchers have to join forces and make their way to center of island to call for help (the section of the film without a narrative)

-Survivors rescued, conniving head of InGen uses opportunity to try and open attraction based around adult T-Rex, Rex gets loose and rampages through San Diego, is finally contained and returned to island

-Dinosaur-populated island is declared off-limits, fulfilling Hammond's wish

We also got themes of family, countering Malcolm/Sarah/Kelly against the three T-Rexes; a look at environmentalism, animal rights and the blatant corporate capitalist greed of the 80's/90's/present day; expansion of the JP mythos (original breeding ground of Site B, Jurassic Park: San Diego, dinosaurs revealed to world, the ultimate example of what would happen if InGen's dinosaurs made it to the "real" world); some cool hardware, (Trailers, High Hide, Eddie's Jeep's, Hunters' vehicles); a great score by John Williams, ETC...

Jurassic Park 3:
    -An idiot plumber's chubby daughter gets stuck on Site B and they bumble around for 75 minutes trying to find her

-Along the the way a Spinosaurs acts like Freddy Kruger and a clueless grad student pisses off a pack of hyper-intelligent Raptors by stealing their eggs

Granted, I kind-of cast TLW in a positive light, and JP3 not so much...still, not much of a comparison really! :cool:
  • edited April 2011
    There is a plot, and it isn't bad either. It could have had a better plot, but it was still a good plot. TLW has less plot then JP3.

Plot?? Theres no plot at all, they dont even resolve the only interesting tid-bit attempts at a plot of mentioning InGen's unregistered dinosaurs, or what dino killed the crew at the beginning of the movie. Its just a dumb rescue mission/monster movie that makes no sense and rehashed ideas from previous movie in an attempt to make a quick buck out of the franchise. Not to mention the terrible pacing and so much wasted opportunities.

Now, I do like some things about JP3, including Dr. Grant, the Spino (even though the Rex-Spino fight was terrible), the Ingen Lab and Aviary, and the pteradons.

Having that said, its nothing how it should've been.
  • edited April 2011
    I do think JP3 should of enolved more around Ingen they were barley mentioned. The spino was two smart and was everywhere. Normally it would control this part and not go over there. The raptors were smart I dont mind, But I do look back now at the first JP and see a raptor opening a door and kinda say stupid. Remake of any JP moves not 3 becuase its newer. But still its even 10 years old :eek:. I wouldnt mind but if so do it now before actors get a lot older/dying.
  • edited April 2011
    robotpo wrote: »
    Oh, please, that's just ridiculous

Jurassic Park 3:
    -An idiot plumber's chubby daughter gets stuck on Site B and they bumble around for 75 minutes trying to find her

...........you know it was a boy right?
  • edited April 2011
    FPug wrote: »
    ...........you know it was a boy right?

That was a BOY?!?! :eek::eek::eek: I thought it was "Erica Kirby"...? :confused:
  • edited April 2011

Jurassic Park 3:

-Along the the way a Spinosaurs acts like Freddy Kruger and a clueless grad student pisses off a pack of hyper-intelligent Raptors by stealing their eggs

Granted, I kind-of cast TLW in a positive light, and JP3 not so much...still, not much of a comparison really! :cool:

Okay I'm going to expand upon this because you missed a lot of points in the 3rd movie it was more like this

JP3:

- Stupid humans break the law and as a result stuff goes down and they disappear into the island.

- Like Grant feared it is now more difficult to obtain grants towards Paleontology as everyone is just interested in the now well known Dinosaur Island.

- New information is learned about Velociraptors

- A man and his wife come and requests a "tour" of the island posing as a rich business owner and offering large amounts of cash. Grant only accepts seeing this as a way to save his field.

- They travel to the Island only to learn that they were brought there under false premises, as a result the reckless behavior of the rest of the party summons a Spinosaurus which is so tall it manages to destroy the airplane, their only means of escape.

- Due to the Spinosaurus' persistent attacks the remainder of the group continues to try to run away. During this time it is revealed that Kirby does not make that type of income which is why when they pass through a Raptor nesting ground, Billy impulsively takes two eggs with the intent of selling them to save the P-field.

- As a result of Billy's actions they are targeted by the raptors and suffer more casualties. They also get split up in which during this time Grant find Eric. When the two groups are reunited again it is revealed that billy had eggs and Grant insults him.

- To get to a boat they end up going through the Pteradon cage and Billy sacrifices himself for Eric to redeems himself for his actions with the eggs earlier.

- The rest reach the boat and attempt to escape but are once again attacked by the Spinosaur. During this attack Grant manages to make a call to Ellie. At this time the family is fully reconnected and for now bonds are retied.

- The group continues to travel and run into the Raptors one more time and we learn about the handy dandy vocal cord

- The Marines come and save the rest. Billy lives, Everyone is awesome and Pteradons escape

Now you can't say all of that is not plot. It clearly easy, but perhaps it wasn't the best executed in some ways.
  • edited April 2011
    That kid was a GIRL! Holy crap i thought she was a guy the whole time. Way to look like your mom you ugly freak of nature Justin Bieber spinoff
  • edited April 2011
    anashastar wrote: »
    Okay I'm going to expand upon this because you missed a lot of points in the 3rd movie it was more like this

JP3:

- Stupid humans break the law and as a result stuff goes down and they disappear into the island.

- Like Grant feared it is now more difficult to obtain grants towards Paleontology as everyone is just interested in the now well known Dinosaur Island.

- New information is learned about Velociraptors

- A man and his wife come and requests a "tour" of the island posing as a rich business owner and offering large amounts of cash. Grant only accepts seeing this as a way to save his field.

- They travel to the Island only to learn that they were brought there under false premises, as a result the reckless behavior of the rest of the party summons a Spinosaurus which is so tall it manages to destroy the airplane, their only means of escape.

- Due to the Spinosaurus' persistent attacks the remainder of the group continues to try to run away. During this time it is revealed that Kirby does not make that type of income which is why when they pass through a Raptor nesting ground, Billy impulsively takes two eggs with the intent of selling them to save the P-field.

- As a result of Billy's actions they are targeted by the raptors and suffer more casualties. They also get split up in which during this time Grant find Eric. When the two groups are reunited again it is revealed that billy had eggs and Grant insults him.

- To get to a boat they end up going through the Pteradon cage and Billy sacrifices himself for Eric to redeems himself for his actions with the eggs earlier.

- The rest reach the boat and attempt to escape but are once again attacked by the Spinosaur. During this attack Grant manages to make a call to Ellie. At this time the family is fully reconnected and for now bonds are retied.

- The group continues to travel and run into the Raptors one more time and we learn about the handy dandy vocal cord

- The Marines come and save the rest. Billy lives, Everyone is awesome and Pteradons escape

Now you can't say all of that is not plot. It clearly easy, but perhaps it wasn't the best executed in some ways.

All of that is not plot...you can't just list everything that happens on-screen on a film and say it's the "plot".

A "story" is an actual structure with three acts; motivation, character arcs and growth for the protagonists; diametrically opposed goals for the protagonist and antagonist; rising conflict, climax, resolution, ETC. TLW had them, JP3 didn't, (it didn't even have a climax, it just screeched to a halt).
  • edited April 2011
    The only good part of JPIII in my opinion was Grant, and that's about it. We don't want to see something so different from the first two, but more of the same. JPIII took the franchise in a whole different direction that most JP fans don't like (Some do, and that's their thing).
  • edited April 2011
    All of that is not plot...you can't just list everything that happens on-screen on a film and say it's the "plot".

A "story" is an actual structure with three acts; motivation, character arcs and growth for the protagonists; diametrically opposed goals for the protagonist and antagonist; rising conflict, climax, resolution, ETC. TLW had them, JP3 didn't, (it didn't even have a climax, it just screeched to a halt).

Exactly, heres no depth to any of the events that occurred in JP3. If you think JP is just a Syfy monster movies with dinosaurs as the centerpiece, then yes, I guess JP3 was a excellent movie.

I dont like to bash JP3, but after the disappointment it was, I just dont want JP4 to go the same direction, specially if the same director is probably going to helm the next film...
  • edited April 2011

Okay I'm not bashing on TLW since I love the entire series equally and am not bias on any of the films. But If that's your observation than the same can very easily be said to knock down TLW. It lacked in many ways, which is maybe why some people have the same sentiment for TLW as many seem to have for JP3. Plus I don't see how JP3 lacked any of these traits which you listed.

Growth of the Protagonist - The family reconnected, Billy's sacrifice
    Growth of the Antagonist - The dinosaurs were more difficult to deal with Raptors were seen to be much more intellegent.
    Climax - The goal was to find the kid, they found him. Second goal was to get off the island, they got off the island.

And again its actually quite canon, well I mean it follows canon very well. I'm not going to going over each and everyone since I feel I pointed out everything in the last post. Now if you'd like to say the story was Generic, then of course, I agree, no if or buts about it. But you can't just deny it's plot when its clearly there, it's just not the most creative or best ever written. Just pointing out :D
  • edited April 2011

Jurassic Park 3:

You didn't even watch JP3 did you. :p
  • edited April 2011
    You can sum up a lot of films like that. For instance, Jurassic Park:

-A bunch of people are invited to check out a dinosaur park/zoo
    -Nedry steals embryos which causes the dinosaurs get out and eat some people
    -Most of the visiting group escape the next day
  • edited April 2011
    Okay I'm not bashing on TLW since I love the entire series equally and am not bias on any of the films. But If that's your observation than the same can very easily be said to knock down TLW. It lacked in many ways, which is maybe why some people have the same sentiment for TLW as many seem to have for JP3. Plus I don't see how JP3 lacked any of these traits which you listed.

Growth of the Antagonist - The dinosaurs were more difficult to deal with Raptors were seen to be much more intellegent.
    Climax - The goal was to find the kid, they found him. Second goal was to get off the island, they got off the island.

And again its actually quite canon, well I mean it follows canon very well. I'm not going to going over each and everyone since I feel I pointed out everything in the last post. Now if you'd like to say the story was Generic, then of course, I agree, no if or buts about it. But you can't just deny it's plot when its clearly there, it's just not the most creative or best ever written. Just pointing out :D

I think TLW suffered from the opposite JP3 did, I think they tried to cram too much plot points into it, and sometimes they didnt even make sense and had a couple of loopholes.

I still consider JP3 canon, I mean it obviously is, yet the story that JP3 follows I would never consider a plot by JP's standards. I sometimes think what did Michael Crichton though about JP3, seeing one of his masterpieces being reduced to what JP3 was (and even more if you consider the movies a reduction in themselves to what JP really is [I do]).

Most of us that don't like JP3 is mostly due to the wasted opportunities and potential this movie had, and how it actually came out to be. Believe me, when I saw the first trailer for this movie I thought it was going to be an epic addition to the saga, yet it was actually bitter sweet.

I just hope JP4 actually give significance to the events in JP3, and like some have suggested, a JP3 midquel game would be great to complement the events of JP3.
  • edited April 2011

The first I'll give you, as clumsily and cartoonishly as it was handled. However, GRANT was the primary protagonist...what was his character arc again?

By "antagonist" you mean a character whose goals are opposed to the goals of the protagonist; dinosaurs don't count. Even in a "monster movie" there has to be a "human" who is actively working against our heroes, (ALA Nedry and Ludlow). See also: Quint in "Jaws", (who was more of a "foil" than a legitimate villain); Ash in "Alien"; Burke in "Aliens"; Belloq in "Raiders"; Keyes in "ET", and so on.

A climax arrives at the END of a story, at the height of rising conflict in the third act, and leads to the resolution. A character's "goals" being achieved are not a "climax". JP3 didn't have one, (just the half-assed "giving back the eggs" thing which started and concluded out-of-the-blue, then the marines randomly landing to blaring triumphant music).

And JP3 still didn't have a story.

Again, a STORY is an actual structure that adheres to guidelines and is quite mechanical in a way. JP3 met maybe ONE of the the requirements, (growth of Kirby's and Billy, the later of whom was undermined when he inexplicably survived).
    You can sum up a lot of films like that. For instance, Jurassic Park:

-A bunch of people are invited to check out a dinosaur park/zoo
    -Nedry steals embryos which causes the dinosaurs get out and eat some people
    -Most of the visiting group escape the next day

Except with JP, you're leaving out many story-beats there. With JP3, I wasn't.

To reiterate, a film's "story" and a "list of things which happen on-screen in a movie" are NOT the same thing! You really can't make an argument that JP3 is anything more than "people bumbling around on an island".

JP and TLW had a lot more going on, (see my breakdown of TLW's story, JP3 didn't). To ignore the actual narrative, thematic material, structuring and pacing of the films to say, "well, they were all people on an island" doesn't hold water!

BTW, in a side-note, I should point out that there are some great character studies and dramas which really don't have much a story at all, so a strong narrative isn't ALWAYS necessary. JP3, however, wasn't a character study. :cool:
  • edited April 2011
    Bombillazo wrote: »
    I think TLW suffered from the opposite JP3 did, I think they tried to cram too much plot points into it, and sometimes they didnt even make sense and had a couple of loopholes.

I still consider JP3 canon, I mean it obviously is, yet the story that JP3 follows I would never consider a plot by JP's standards. I sometimes think what did Michael Crichton though about JP3, seeing one of his masterpieces being reduced to what JP3 was (and even more if you consider the movies a reduction in themselves to what JP really is [I do]).

Most of us that don't like JP3 is mostly due to the wasted opportunities and potential this movie had, and how it actually came out to be. Believe me, when I saw the first trailer for this movie I thought it was going to be an epic addition to the saga, yet it was actually bitter sweet.

I just hope JP4 actually give significance to the events in JP3, and like some have suggested, a JP3 midquel game would be great to complement the events of JP3.

Okay I could see that, I'm actually worried more for JP4 honestly. I mean I know it will no longer be HUMAN/DINO/DOG Warriors! But the alleged concept of mass extinction going on, I wonder if it will be based off the Lost World or some wild unnecessary concept D:
  • edited April 2011
    What I found bothersome in JP3 is that I used to come up with similar, if not better, stories for another JP movie after the first movie came out. And I was 8! I mean how smart are you going to make the raptors; in the next movie I wouldn't be surprised if they start making guns and missiles.
  • edited April 2011
    One thing I did like about JP3 was the music, the new composer really did a great job filling in for John Williams.
  • edited April 2011
    FPug wrote: »
    I think they went a little too far with the whole "Raptors are intelligent" thing, to a point where it seemed UNbelievable. They kind of threw the whole idea out the window when Grant was able to trick the whole pack....RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM!

He never did trick them. I mean one of the males almost fell for it but the female stopped him and was about to kill them until she heard the helicopters come closer and then they bailed. It had nothing to do with Grant.
  • edited April 2011
    Still, it was like the raptors were UNBELIEVABLY intelligent. It just didn't seem right.
  • edited April 2011
    What's funny is how a lot of paleontologists say that a raptor wouldn't be more intelligent than a house cat. I think that those paleontologists haven't ever owned a cat. Yes, some cats aren't all that smart, but some cats show extreme intelligence. Even problem-solving intelligence. :p
  • edited April 2011
    He never did trick them. I mean one of the males almost fell for it but the female stopped him and was about to kill them until she heard the helicopters come closer and then they bailed. It had nothing to do with Grant.

Um, no...

-Grant "called for help"

-The sounds of the helicopters emerged...one of the male raptors leapt forward to attack, but the alpha female ordered him back

-The raptors took the eggs and fled, assuming, (correctly), that the sounds of the helicopters was reinforcements arriving for the humans
  • edited April 2011

Let's see...

The Lost World:
    -Family stumbles on island where InGen originally bred dinosaurs, injury of child leads to lawsuit

-John Hammond's conniving nephew uses this as opportunity to take over company and harvest dinos from Site B in order to bail InGen out of Chapter 11 with new JP in San Diego

-Hammond assembles team to create the "most spectacular photo record the world has ever known" to generate public support for protection of the dinosaurs

-Both teams head to island, clash, Green Peace fanatic gets both parties stranded

-Hunters and Researchers have to join forces and make their way to center of island to call for help (the section of the film without a narrative)

-Survivors rescued, conniving head of InGen uses opportunity to try and open attraction based around adult T-Rex, Rex gets loose and rampages through San Diego, is finally contained and returned to island

-Dinosaur-populated island is declared off-limits, fulfilling Hammond's wish

We also got themes of family, countering Malcolm/Sarah/Kelly against the three T-Rexes; a look at environmentalism, animal rights and the blatant corporate capitalist greed of the 80's/90's/present day; expansion of the JP mythos (original breeding ground of Site B, Jurassic Park: San Diego, dinosaurs revealed to world, the ultimate example of what would happen if InGen's dinosaurs made it to the "real" world); some cool hardware, (Trailers, High Hide, Eddie's Jeep's, Hunters' vehicles); a great score by John Williams, ETC...

Jurassic Park 3:

All you did was show a detailed time line of TLW and a summary of JP3 :/
  • edited April 2011
    All you did was show a detailed time line of TLW and a summary of JP3 :/

YOU'RE a summary of JP3. :cool:

But seriously, I've explained my point quite clearly in previous posts...
  • edited April 2011
    JP3 I felt was actually quite good...
    The research was spot on
    Raptors were that smart...
    Spino ate like a crocodile... in that he saw food and ate it (due to the size of the brain vs the spinal cord

and my fav scene with Dr Grant and the Rambo Kid was funny as all heck and left a lot to the imagination...
    "T-Rex Pee... How did you get it?"
    "You don't want to know"...

my only criticism of the movie, could have been longer
    have the T-rex V Spino battle at end and leave it open ended
    and finally have Dr Grant deciding that he needs to start studying live Dinos... that way he could tie in with Ian's girlfriend... thus leaving the door open for a research based movie with the full cast...

in any case none of the movies was really long enough...
    JP4 needs to not to be called JP4 it needs a to be called Jurassic Park: <Add Subtitle>
    and it needs to be Epic length 3 hrs to maybe 3.5 hrs... we have come to a time in which we are used to the big movies being over 3 hrs and you really need that sort of time to really delve into character development... Heck make JP4 a Trilogy of Movies like the Lord of the Rings and to a minor extent The Matrix... that way each movie is 1 Large Act with sub chapters.
  • edited April 2011
    Just throwing my hat in the ring, I liked JP3 a lot. I think it is a lot better than The Lost World. It's a different kind of movie: they knew they couldn't recapture the magic and awe of the first movie once that genie was out of the bottle, so they didn't try to force it (as it sometimes felt they did with TLW). Instead, they made a smart, fast-paced, action/adventure film. By the third movie in a series, everyone is familiar with the backstory so we didn't need 40 minutes of exposition or a science lesson at the beginning like the first two films required; instead, we are introduced to the characters and jump right into the action.

The raptor intellegence thing never bothered me; in the original novel Crichton describes them as being "at least as intelligent as chimpanzees" and a lot of promotional material and licensed products from the first movie used that description too, so JP3's super-smart raptors are actually very fitting and were nice to see. And lots of animals communicate or "talk" to one another, and we see raptors doing this in JP1, so I never understood why it was suddenly so much of an issue for people in JP3.
  • edited April 2011
    or hows this for a thought...
    TV show - a prequel to the original movie...showing the creation of JP and the dinosaurs and have an earlier incident that was never mentioned or hushed up... that could work...have it done by Starz or SyFy
  • edited April 2011
    You know what they should have done for JP3?

In the beginning with Ludlow's death, InGen devolves back to John Hammond who is know even sicker than he was in TLW(which was great by the way). Hammond is then called to testify in front in the US Senate's "Scientific Affairs Oversight Committee" and he reveals that the dismantling of Jurassic Park resources, organic and inorganic(dinos and buildings) never happened and Ludlow was just trying to cover up his mismanagement of InGen's investors' funds and take over the company from Hammond at the same time. The US Senate then orders Hammond to tell them the current state of the Island, to which he replies "I haven't a clue." they along with the House of Reps and President order him to make arrangements to find and convince Grant Malcolm, Ellie, Lex, and Tim to go to the island with a brigade or smaller sized force of the US Army and "secure" (very ambiguous command) the island. For what purpose? The Government would like to seize the Island from Hammond to rebuild the park and profit from it, whereas Hammond will have not of that. Upon arriving to Nublar, the park and all of its buildings are overgrown and dilapidated like the Aperture Labs from the beginning of Portal 2 but all of the computing systems and communications are online and miraculously still working. The tour program is online and multiple cars are on the testing track. The Jeeps in the garage and guns in the security center are still in pristine condition. The dinosaurs are easy to find with all of the working cameras but for some reason they disappear and reappear in their pens. Eventually the Army creates a perimeter around the visitors center and they begin to rebuild the park being warned by the original cast that nothing good could come of this park. We are witness to the construction process and ,as so well described by Hammond in the first novel, problems arise. Just as the US Government is about to finish the Geothermal power grid that is used to run the island fails not having been re-calibrated for the new heavy power needs of the park or updated since 1991. This critical oversight put the entire group in danger and now Lex, Tim ,Grant, Ellie and Malcolm have to lead the small band of army engineers to the power grid while the Army fight off the dinosaurs all 15 species ,which we will see. that have escaped. As our heroes traverse the island we get to see everything that was supposed to be in Jurassic Park as per the maps that fans and official sources have released. Eventually we make it with one group to Hammond's bungalow, the other to the main power station, and the final group to the backup hydro-electic plant which has also failed.

I will write more soon! Please tell me what you think so far though!
  • edited April 2011
    Lexxbomb wrote: »
    or hows this for a thought...
    TV show - a prequel to the original movie...showing the creation of JP and the dinosaurs and have an earlier incident that was never mentioned or hushed up... that could work...have it done by Starz or SyFy
    That sounds great I definitely like that
  • edited April 2011
    Lexxbomb wrote: »
    or SyFy

PLEASE GOD NO!!!! I HATE Syfy. If they had Syfy channel do it. There would:

1.) Be AWFUL, even laughable, dialogue.

2.) The actresses would all be Dumb as Hell and run around in Bikinis until they were splattered around everywhere in an over the top, unnecessarily gory death.

3.) The CGI would make Claymation look good. And forget animatronics, they'd probably use a sock puppet.

4.) There would probably be just plain awful character development.

All of these and more would make the movie/TV show watchable only for Criticism value only. OH and people will definitely laugh AT it...not in a good way.
  • edited April 2011
    I honestly can't remember too much from the third movie ... it was just that bad. I do remember being super super pissed about the whole T-Rex vs. Spino battle though. I mean you have two whole movies, untold amounts of merchandise, and two well written novels portraying the Rex as the pinnacle of dinosaur badassery only to have him bested (and killed no less) by some stupid looking crocodile wannabe. Are you kidding me?

:mad:
Sign in to comment in this discussion.