Monkey Island?

edited September 2005 in General Chat
The VooDoo lady said she was contracted to do 5 games. She's still waiting! :) So after Sam N' Max, would it be possible for TTG to get the rights to do another MI game?

Comments

• edited September 2005
    lets wait and see how sam and max is before we jump the gun with MI.
    a MI game needs the following people:
    Ron Gilbert, Tim Shafer,Bret Barret andMichael Z.Land

which of course is highly unlikely since ron has been away from MI for some time now. Tim has his own things to worry about and I'm not sure about the others.

After what happened with escape from monkey island I think unless something really major were to happen it's best to leave it in the grave.

we would all like to see the classics come back but well look what happened when they tried to make another blues brothers movie.....
  • edited September 2005
    I think that a good MI game coulde be done even without those guys, but I agree with the idea that we should wait for Sam & Max before "jumping the gun".

Sorry to recall this here: Bret Barrett is dead. Monkey Island 3 was dedicated to his memory, he died in a motorcycle accident, if I remember well. :(

Dom
  • edited September 2005
    As I recall, TTG has stated they will only develop titles based on comics, tv-shows (?) and/or books.
  • edited September 2005
    As I recall, TTG has stated they will only develop titles based on comics, tv-shows (?) and/or books.

So they've ruled out movies?

Do you have a quote / link for that? It sounds like it's taken out of context.
  • edited September 2005
    a MI game needs the following people:
    Ron Gilbert, Tim Shafer,Bret Barret andMichael Z.Land

I don't think Bret Barrett's involvement with the Monkey Island games was anywhere near that of Ron, Tim, or Dave, and thus I don't see how an MI depends on him (although he did have some significant credits in MI2, he was only a tester for MI1 and sadly passed away before the release of MI3).

Totally agreed on Michael Land. His music on all the games is amazing. I'd add Peter McConnell as well, as his contributions to MI2 both musically and technically (was he not one of the creators of iMUSE?) were very important and several of his themes are re-used in later games.
  • edited September 2005
    well I think monkey II was the best out of them all

monkey 2 >= monkey 1 > sam & max == grim fandango >= monkey 3 >= DOTT >= full throttle > most other adventures I'm missing > the dig > monkey 4
  • edited September 2005
    There's no way MI4 is worse than The Dig. It was very good.
  • edited September 2005

So they've ruled out movies?

That's hi-larious. Most movies are already based on comics, tv shows, and books, because Hollywood has no more fresh ideas. :D Or if they do, they're unwilling to take risks on actually going forth with something potentially good and original. All they've got now are adaptations, sequels, and remakes. REMAKES!!! The epitomy of filmmaking laziness. b-(
  • edited September 2005
    There is no way that TTG will be able to get the rights to Monkey Island from LucasArts. TTG was lucky that LucasArts does not own the Sam and Max IP.
  • edited September 2005
    That's how I see it too. And (hypotheticaly speaking) I'd rather Ron Gilbert was the main owner of the Monkey Island rights and project lead on any future Monkey Island games.

In fact, he's said he would make more if he could somehow obtain the rights in

Today's Secret of Monkey Island 15th Birthday extravaganzaganza

:(|)
  • edited September 2005
    That's hi-larious. Most movies are already based on comics, tv shows, and books, because Hollywood has no more fresh ideas. :D Or if they do, they're unwilling to take risks on actually going forth with something potentially good and original. All they've got now are adaptations, sequels, and remakes. REMAKES!!! The epitomy of filmmaking laziness. b-(

Tell that to Pixar. Or DreamWorks Animation. Or LucasFilm. Or Aardman Animation. Or...

Anyway "Hollywood" is not the be all and end all of movies.
  • edited September 2005
    Lucas Arts arent gonna give up the rights to anything :((
  • edited September 2005
    Tell that to Pixar. Or DreamWorks Animation. Or LucasFilm. Or Aardman Animation. Or...

Anyway "Hollywood" is not the be all and end all of movies.
    I'd say cartoons and animation are exempt from Hollywood because Hollywood snubs them at the Oscars. I don't really care about the Oscars though, anyway. I love cartoons, by the way. As for Lucasfilm, they fall under the "sequels" category. I've only seen Star Wars and Indiana Jones from them (or is Indy a Paramount production?). Anyway, constantly making sequels isn't particularly original. They need to take a chance on something new, instead of falling back on an old license.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.