Nothing happens when I click "Play" in the BTTF episode launcher

edited April 2011 in Game Support
I have the free episode 1 but cant play it. I click on play in the launcher but nothing happens.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I have the free episode 1 but cant play it. I click on play in the launcher but nothing happens.
    Try right clicking it and click on "Run as Administrator". Otherwise it may be a problem with your system not meeting requirements, check the system requirements to see if your computer is compatible.
  • edited April 2011
    Having the same problem here.
  • edited April 2011
    Try right clicking it and click on "Run as Administrator". Otherwise it may be a problem with your system not meeting requirements, check the system requirements to see if your computer is compatible.

This fixed it. Games working now, thanks!!!:D RIGHT CLICK RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR...
  • edited April 2011
    I had the same problem and it runs if I run it as administrator, but do I have to do that every time I play the game? Can't I just bring up the launcer and click on play? Also, do I have to log in every time I play the game?
  • edited April 2011
    What if 'run as administrator' doesn't appear. I only get copy.
  • edited April 2011
    I'm having the same issue, and run as administrator option doesn't show up. I tried finding the file, but only the setup file shows up in my downloads. Not too savvy on tech issues, so any help would be great.
  • edited April 2011
    Are there other users on your system? You must MAKE SURE you are administrator to use admin mode.
  • edited April 2011
    yahooeny wrote: »
    Are there other users on your system? You must MAKE SURE you are administrator to use admin mode.

I'm the only user on my system. I'm using Vista as well. I've tried running it from the "games" folder in the start menu too, and I can't seem to find any way around this. Seems like a few people are dealing with this. It ran fine when I played for a few minutes right after I downloaded it.
  • edited April 2011
    + 1 re only seeing "copy"
  • edited April 2011
    I can confirm that right-clicking the desktop shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator" helps. It seems some of you are right-clicking the "Play"-button after you've started the application, but that won't help :)
  • edited April 2011
    Finally got into the episode selection menu thanks to the "run as (admin user)", none of the buttons do anything though, the "Play!" button included.
  • edited April 2011
    perterje wrote: »
    I can confirm that right-clicking the desktop shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator" helps. It seems some of you are right-clicking the "Play"-button after you've started the application, but that won't help :)

*Nervous laughter* whoops :o
  • edited April 2011
    Hello

I just downloaded the free first episode, but in the start up
    window I click play and nothing happens, is this a known issue?
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Hi Firestoker, it is indeed a known issue... try right-clicking the desktop shortcut icon and selecting "Run as administrator".
    edited April 2011
    For all the people who get this message: "Sorry, but it doesn't look like you own Back to the Future: The Game", I've created another thread in Shopping/Activation support for you guys.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23913
  • edited April 2011
    I have to reinstall an episode and select to play it when the installation is finished in order to play the episode.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
  • edited April 2011
    Hello,

In the start menu of BTTF the "Play" button doesn't react on pressing. Tried this multiple times and restarted that window, too. I am logged in as my user name is shown top right. What to do now?

Cheers,
    Kai
  • BasBas
    edited April 2011
    Really? Requiring people to run the game as an administrator? What is this, 2001?
  • edited April 2011
    Bas wrote: »
    Really? Requiring people to run the game as an administrator? What is this, 2001?

When the car hits 88.
  • edited April 2011
    Bas wrote: »

You must know nowadays all malware and virus applications need to run in admin mode to do their work. Developers of malware usually deny to call their products malware.

:rolleyes:
  • edited April 2011
    I am experiencing the same problems. Here is a detailed explanation:

Here are my machine specs:
    Windows7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Intel core i5 processor
    4GB of memory
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 260

After a fresh installation...
    1) try to run the game normally (double click on shortcut):
    Nothing happens, no error message, nothing tries to launch at all.

2)Right click / run as administrator:
    Nothing happens, no error message, nothing tries to launch at all

3)Trying to run the program in compatibility mode:
    Same exact results for all of the choices except for Windows 98 and Windows 95 compatibility mode. When running in either of those modes (as administrator) the game launcher finally shows up allowing me to play episode 1, or purchase the other episodes. I chose to play episode 1 by clicking on the big orange "Play" button:
    The game launcher quits, no error message is seen, I'm back on my desktop.

I tried doing the same thing again with the task manager open to see what exactly is going on. I can see that after the game launcher starts up the following program is seen running:
    BackToTheFuture101.exe*32

After I click on the big orange "Play" button, the launcher closes and I see another instance of BackToTheFuture101.exe*32 show up in the task manager. After that split second, both applications dissappear from the task manager and I'm back on my desktop, no error message, no warning, no sounds, nothing to indicate what may have went wrong.

I opened up compmgmt.msc to check out my system logs. There are no entires in the system or application logs showing what happened. It looks like it's not logging any errors. Also, there are no logs in the directory for the game.. C:\Program Files (x86)\Telltale Games\Back to the Future The Game\Episode 1

Can someone from telltale please let us know what might be going on with this game. It seems a lot of people are having problems. There must be some kind of debugging information you can let us in on.
  • edited April 2011
    First of all, thanks for this thread. I did work, eventually. The problem was that I don't install icons on the desktop, and it's impossible to run as administrator from the Windows games menu (at least in Vista, which I'm using). I ended up going to the directory where I installed the game and setting the shortcut there to "run as administrator" in the compatibility tab. That worked.

It's (sadly) not terribly rare for games to require administrator privileges, but in most cases the shortcut is already set with this option, so users don't have to stare at non-working buttons and search forums. I hope Telltale releases a newer version of the installer with a fix for that.
  • edited April 2011
    Hi,

I think I got a bit further in winXP to run the game without "Admin privileges", I guess I would not have used it otherwise.

1) run regedit.exe as Admin
    2) go to: HKLM\Software\Telltale Games
    3) right click on the "Telltale Games" rootkey
    4) from the context menu choose "Permissions..."
    5) for "Users" check "Full Control" "Allow"

It seems that the launcher needs to be able to change the subkey \ttg\initializationInProgress to true to work properly.

If you run the laucher now as normal user, the "now available" button behind the episode should have changed to a play logo.
    If you hit the big "Play" button now, the game should launch.

I have not played yet or check if there are any more restrictions (e.g. game saving).

The above is without any warranty, I am just trying to help... If you don't know what you are doing esp. with regedit.exe, _please_ don't do it!!

BYe M
  • edited April 2011
    On my Mac, my launcher doesn't work unless I am offline. :/

Got EPs 1 and 3 to work, but not 2.
  • edited April 2011
    Confirmed , marcwillert's solution works on Windows 7 64bit, too; the key path is then HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Telltale Games
  • edited April 2011
    Bubblechan wrote: »
    I had the same problem and it runs if I run it as administrator, but do I have to do that every time I play the game? Can't I just bring up the launcer and click on play? Also, do I have to log in every time I play the game?

This is what happens when you get idiots making games. It's a simple bug that's easy to fix... but have they bothered? No.
  • edited April 2011
    Thank you soo much. Click run as administrator when you right click the desktop shortcut. Be sure the menu is closed. When it opens click play and it will open. Thank you so much telltale i forgive you.
  • edited April 2011
    perterje wrote: »
    That's exactly what I was doing, too. Duh @ me. Thank you!!
  • edited April 2011
    Im having trouble download bttf the game episode 1 for free when press play button wont work is there somethink have do sent email support@telltalegames.com 2 get unlock code do thy activate it plz help
  • edited April 2011
    I have the same problem. Worked first time i played it but now clicking "Play" does nothing.
  • edited April 2011
    HI,

I installed the first Part of Back to the Future, but after logging in with my name I can´t start the game. I see the Button "PLAY!", but clicking it has no effect at all and I clicked it a lot everywhere already.. also i tried "ENTER" "RETURN" etc.

Is there any other way to start the game? I want to buy the season, but i fear I won´t be able to play it.
  • edited April 2011
    woops.. i opened a thread for it too, before reading this.. sorry about that. I got the same problem.
    edited April 2011
    kempy, Guitarer, testdas: I merged your questions into this thread. Try right-clicking on the game shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator".
  • edited April 2011
    Thx puzzlebox, I just tried it and wanted to post it.
  • edited April 2011
    I click play on BTTF E1, which i bought, but it's not working!
  • edited April 2011
    If you provided more info, then you may get a more helpful reply.
    Do you get an error message?
  • edited April 2011
    It's probably the standard right click and run as admin fix problem...
    edited April 2011
    Hi SuperRokoman, I moved your question over into this thread. Can you try to right-click on the game shortcut and select "Run as administrator"?
  • edited April 2011
    Hi,
    I downloaded the free episode 1 and it doesn't launch on my Mac.
    I downloaded it twice with the same result.

I am the Administrator on my 2.53 Ghz Macbook Pro running OSX 10.6.7

Unfortunately running offline didn't sort out my issue as it had in a previous post.

Any suggestions will be most welcome.
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.