Dr. Harding ≠ Dr. Harding ?

edited April 2011 in Jurassic Park
So, did I figured this out correctly? The only character we met originated from the films is Dr. Harding, but why does he look so differently then?

jerry%20molen.gif 20110407-p494wxqqgfk7di7ich3y5defnr.jpg

Comments

• edited April 2011
    The one on the right looks cooler and more apealing as a lead character then the one on the left. They probably also don't have the rights to the likeness of the actor to make the character look exactly like he did in the movie.

Overall, the new look is better anyway.
  • edited April 2011
    It was actually one of the movie's producers that played Harding. Licensing could be an issue, but I suppose the "new" Harding is more appealing as a lead character. Also, I would expect someone in a higher ranking position at a place like JP, like Harding, would look more, uh... seasoned, as he does in the movie.
  • edited April 2011
    Well, he certainly looks about ten years younger, but they have SOME leeway, since we didn't see most of his face in the film under the sunglasses and hat! ;P
  • edited April 2011
    robotpo wrote: »
    Well, he certainly looks about ten years younger, but they have SOME leeway, since we didn't see most of his face in the film under the sunglasses and hat! ;P

Hehe good point!

I was just wondering because about licensing they seem to have no problems with BTTF for example…
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2011
    ♫Artistic license!♫

We wanted a slightly more fit and hansome father figure.

We're sure they meant to cast Paul Newman for that role anyway. ;)
  • edited April 2011
    ^^ Good move! Gerald Molen, who played Harding in the movie, is a nasty crinkly wrinkly saggy old bag!!! I don't care if he did produce both JP movies, he's still a bag! :cool:

:p:p
  • edited April 2011
    Isn't there already a thread about this?
  • edited April 2011
    Jennifer Parker's dad stole his mustache
  • edited April 2011
    robotpo wrote: »
    ^^ Good move! Gerald Molen, who played Harding in the movie, is a nasty crinkly wrinkly saggy old bag!!! I don't care if he did produce both JP movies, he's still a bag! :cool:

:p:p

Well, age tends to do that, that was kind of mean. The new look is appealing I'm sure, but every time I see Harding, I forget who it is, until I see the name tag, and then I'm like, "Oh yeah, that's not an entirely new character, he was in the film."
  • edited April 2011
    leon101 wrote: »
    Well, age tends to do that, that was kind of mean.

Yes, because I was SO obviously being serious...
  • edited April 2011
    Harding was such a minor character in the film, that this change doesn't bother me. It would be different if they revamped one of the leads like Hammond or Malcolm. This version of Harding actually seems closer to how I imagined him in the novel, where he had a much larger role, so it's nice to see that depiction of the character brought to life, so to speak.

It's a genius move by Telltale to explore a minor character like Harding as the hero for the game, rather than just retrace the footsteps of Grant and the main characters again. In the movie, once the action starts we pretty much stick with the main core of characters to the end, and everyone else is just sent home and not heard of again. But each of them has their own exciting story about what went down in the Park that night too, so it's nice to see what was happening "meanwhile, elsewhere on the island..." as well.
  • edited April 2011
    It's a genius move by Telltale to explore a minor character like Harding as the hero for the game, rather than just retrace the footsteps of Grant and the main characters again. In the movie, once the action starts we pretty much stick with the main core of characters to the end, and everyone else is just sent home and not heard of again. But each of them has their own exciting story about what went down in the Park that night too, so it's nice to see what was happening "meanwhile, elsewhere on the island..." as well.

I agree. The other characters have played their roles and their stories have been told. As much as I like Grant and Malcome, bringing them back over and over kind of burns out the franchise. I love the idea of seeing what happens were nobody looked before.
  • edited April 2011
    Now let me start this by saying, that as a major gamer and a HUGE Jurassic Park fan, I can't wait to play this game. Also, kudos to Telltale for being the first developer I've ever seen that actually pays attention to the community and works to keep their work cannon. With that I mind I just had to point out, the character Gerry Harding in the game doesn't look or sound anything like the guy who portrayed him in Jurassic Park.
  • edited April 2011
    Elogotar wrote: »
    Now let me start this by saying, that as a major gamer and a HUGE Jurassic Park fan, I can't wait to play this game. Also, kudos to Telltale for being the first developer I've ever seen that actually pays attention to the community and works to keep their work cannon. With that I mind I just had to point out, the character Gerry Harding in the game doesn't look or sound anything like the guy who portrayed him in Jurassic Park.

Have you read any of the prior posts?
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2011
    FPug wrote: »
    Have you read any of the prior posts?

It was originally created as a separate thread, I merged it up into the existing discussion.
  • edited April 2011
    Ach!

But you Americanos look all the same!
    What's the problem? Couldn't Dr Harding had shaved himself at the end of the day?

For he looks the same...
  • edited April 2011
    titossauro wrote: »
    What's the problem? Couldn't Dr Harding had shaved himself at the end of the day?

I will count that answer as win!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.