How Did Marty and Doc Become Friends?

Does anyone know how Marty and Doc came to be spending so much time together? They seem like curiously mismatched friends. The age gap is obvious. And they have little in common. Marty isnt a science geek or anything like that.

The movies dont really do anything to explain how they first met or ended up spending time with each other socially.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Well i know for a fact that in the first movie Strickland warns Marty not to "hang out" with Doc.

And in the first bttf game episode it seems that George McFly is taking care of Doc's lab during the sale.

So its either they know eachother from hanging out together for whatever reason that may be or George knows the Doc and thats how Marty knows him too.
  • edited April 2011
    Yes but Stricklands comment only points out that they do hang out together, not how or why.

And in the game George said he was handling the sale on behalf of the bank? I didnt know George worked for a bank. I thought he was a writer... *shrugs*
  • edited April 2011
    Well, it was never explained in the movies, but I guess it was implied that at the start of the 1st movie, Marty was a housesitter, looking over Doc's place and taking care of Einestine while Doc was off working on his inventions. I can only imagine that they first met when Doc asked Marty's folks if he could be Doc's lab partner or housesitter, and they agreed. Then, (and I can only think of 'The Odd Couple' for some reason) their different personalities just mixed well and formed a true friendship. (And from the 1st game episode, Doc doesn't have many friends, so he welcomed Marty)

Also, I think Marty looked at Doc as a father-figure, (since George wasn't that great in the 1st timeline.) And Marty gives realistic feedback about Doc's experiments and support, while Doc gave Marty advise about life-lessons. ('If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.')

Well, that's my opinion of Doc & Marty's starting friendship.
  • edited April 2011
    And in the game George said he was handling the sale on behalf of the bank? I didnt know George worked for a bank. I thought he was a writer... *shrugs*

He doesn't work for a bank, he just volunteered to supervise the sale because of Marty's friendship with Doc.
  • edited April 2011
    I heard a lot about that.

Quote from Wiki:
    "How exactly Marty and Doc met has never been explained, although a draft script for the first film states that a couple of years ago Doc turned up at Marty's garage one day and offered him $50 a week, plus free beer and use of his record collection, to clean his garage. This explanation is not accepted by most fans, however, as it contradicts the characterizations of Marty and Doc we see in the finished film. Co-writers Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale say they once considered expanding on their relationship, but decided against it, reasoning that children and adolescents are often attracted to eccentric or mysterious neighbors."
  • edited April 2011
    Marty's "gay years".
  • edited April 2011
    Marty's "gay years".

You could have kept that joke private. ;)
  • edited April 2011
    I always figured they met because Doc wanted someone to test his giant amp.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2011
    My read before the sequels was that it was because of a loop in time, more or less. I know that events change even within the first film, but it also almost feels like they know each other because they already knew each other, and that's all there needs to be to it, if that makes sense?

That's clearly not actually the case, and doesn't make sense when you get to the details, but at the time it didn't bother me to see it that way, more or less.
  • edited April 2011
    The original draft makes sense to me. Doc already knew who Marty was because he'd met Marty already back in 1955. So around 1985 he sought Marty out and offered him a job, knowing that they'd become friends and ultimately Marty would travel back to 1955.
  • edited April 2011
    Cynan wrote: »
    The original draft makes sense to me. Doc already knew who Marty was because he'd met Marty already back in 1955. So around 1985 he sought Marty out and offered him a job, knowing that they'd become friends and ultimately Marty would travel back to 1955.

That makes sense to a certain extent. In the changed timeline Doc would hire Marty so that he eventually travels to 1955 (which would prevent a paradox). However it doesn't explain how they meet up in the original timeline.

Most likely story I think is the whole "clean my place for $50 bucks" thing that the first draft mentions (I'm gonna go ahead and ignore the part about the underage drinking since that clashes with both characters severely in later drafts/the actual film)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.