How would you rank Episodes 1-3?

edited April 2011 in Back to the Future
With Episode 4 nearing its release later this month, how would you guys rank the first three episodes? For me personally, my ranking is as follows:

1. It's About Time
2. Citizen Brown
3. Get Tannen!

That said, I don't dislike the Get Tannen! episode, I just prefer the others above it - due to storyline, character interaction, etc. Episode 1 definitely played off of my nostalgia, while still introducing new elements. And Episode 3 was an interesting take on Hill Valley with great character development, but I was saddened by the lack of young Emmett and Edna (which is what Episode 4 is for, I suppose).

How would you rank them?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    3-1-2 for me.
  • edited April 2011
    3-1-2 for me.

Same.

I think we should leave such debates for the conclusion of the season, though.
  • edited April 2011
    Falanca wrote: »
    Same.

I think we should leave such debates for the conclusion of the season, though.

Agreed, both with this being an almost completely moot point before the conclusion and with that ranking so far.
  • edited April 2011
    3, 2, 1.
  • edited April 2011
    1. Terrible.
    2. Horrible.
    3. I'm going to stab the designer in the brain.

I kid. I kid.

I'll only mame him.
  • edited April 2011
    Episode I
    Episode III
    Episode II
  • edited April 2011
    1. Terrible.
    2. Horrible.

I kid. I kid.

I'll only mame him.

can never tell if this guy is serious our not
  • edited April 2011
    hamza721 wrote: »
    can never tell if this guy is serious our not

That's kind of the point of some of the posters around here. :p
  • edited April 2011
    Agreed, both with this being an almost completely moot point before the conclusion and with that ranking so far.

I don't know if I'd call it a moot point. The whole purpose of this thread was to see if the general consensus views the episodes as improving or declining in quality as the story develops. I think it's interesting that some people think Episode 1 is still the best to come out so far, while others think the latest episode is the best. It's more of a progress report than a final analysis. Thanks for the input though :)
  • episode 2 has been my favourite. Part II was my favourite film for many of the reasons episode 2 is my favourite episode; contained the most time travel of the 3 episodes, similar to 1955 we re visit the previous installment and have to avoid our other selves. The delorean flies, and we get a menacing alternate timeline. It also has the most of Doc

episode 1: well the downside is not much of Doc. The upside is that revisiting his place was fairly fun and it was neat seeing him as the same age as marty. Saving Doc from the jail truck was my favourite part of any of the episoes so far.

episode 3: I'm actually surprised so many people liked it. I found this episode BORING. No time travel, barely showed the delorean, didn't even show a different time period. This alternate timeline was not nearly as menacing or dangerous as the biffhoric one. The only good sequences were the 2 involving doc; the one in his office and the ending.

I think the last 2 episodes are somewhat predictable; episode 4 will likely be better than 3, not sure where it will rank among the first 2. I think the fact that it will start in the boring FCB timeline alone will put it below #2 so it'll likely rank ahead of 1 or right behind it. Episode 5 will likely be the best; premise seems to be a lot of new things including the FUTURE!
  • edited April 2011
    the first two episode were boring, I liked the turn of event in the second however.
    I really like the third instead.
  • edited April 2011
    The quality level of these episodes, for me, is very similar to the the difficulty curve. Consistently near the bottom of the scale. Though, I would put 2 lower than all the others simply because it undid the only thing about Episode 1 that I actually liked.
  • edited April 2011
    t undid the only thing about Episode 1 that I actually liked.

...Which is?
  • edited April 2011
    ...Which is?
    There was a beautiful story moment near the end of Episode 1 that actually was able to get me to care for a bit, story-wise. When the rocket drill is finally built, and Marty admits that he's not from the Patent office. THAT was actually moving, because we're dealing with Marty having to really badly hurt his best friend. We see that Emmett is crushed by this, and it seems like all of his hope for the future is sucked out of him. It's very moving, very powerful, and everyone who worked on it obviously worked very hard to make sure that moment was pulled off, and of course the background we as viewers of the film know is there did a good deal of legwork as well. We see a picture in which MARTY is responsible, rather than random chance. That MARTY has to deal with the fact that he hurt his best friend. That MARTY has to actually deal with and respond to his actions, his deliberate choices.

....and that's where episode 2 comes in. One month later, he's fine. More than fine, he's better than ever, inventing and happy and all's incredibly well. Good thing we don't have to actually DEAL with that, huh? Good thing that moment wasn't ACTUALLY important!
  • edited April 2011
    1st - Citizen Brown
    + New Hill Valley
    + Unexpected plot
    + Alternate Timeline
    + Doc's ULTIMATE appearance (First Citizen Brown)
    + Funny Hints
    - Shortest episode so far
    - Easy to complete (without Hints)

2nd - Get Tannen!
    + Best way to finish it (Defeating Kid Tannen)
    + Paradox (Two Martys (Two Emmetts doesn't count))
    + The most timelines (July 1931, 1986A, August 1931 and 1986B)
    + Fading out of existence (Marty McFly)
    - Alternate Timeline (only seen McFly's residence)

3rd - It's About Time
    + Longest episode so far
    + Unexpected plot
    + First appearance of Young Emmet Brown
    + Introducing new characters
  • edited April 2011
    Episode 1 - Decent story, worst/easiest gameplay, set the standard for episodes being too short
    Episode 2 - Slightly improved everything from the first, except story
    Episode 3 - Amazing story, much better puzzles, easily the best episode so far
  • edited April 2011
    1st Citizien Brown, 2nd It's About Time, 3rd Get Tannen

Citizien Brown had the best story and a lot of the characters from the movie. It was exciting to explore, and it wasnt always obvious what was going to happen.
    It's About Time was good story wise, but was missing characters we care about. Also Loraine talking to Marty from off screen was pretty akward.
    Get Tannen had an alright story too but the 1931 Hill Valley was already used before. Not too many characters either.
  • edited April 2011
    For now: 3-2-1. Story's improved much, it has to be this order.
  • edited April 2011
    Ok. For length I would rate the episodes:

Get Tannen
    It's About Time
    Citizen Brown (very short)

Favorite:

Citizen Brown
    Get Tannen
    It's About Time
  • edited April 2011
    part 3 is citezen brown 2 is get tannen
  • edited April 2011
    I'm amused by all the people saying Citizen Brown was short. I actually felt it was pretty long, mainly cause I was expecting the TO BE CONTINUED... to come up far sooner than it did.
  • edited April 2011
    fancyboy22 wrote: »
    part 3 is citezen brown 2 is get tannen

If you're referring to my OP, the numbers weren't there to represent the episode numbers, they were there to show my ranking. 1 = favorite, 3 = least favorite.
  • edited April 2011
    For me, (from most favorite to least favorite) it's:

Citizen Brown
    It's About Time
    Get Tannen
  • edited April 2011
    3 - 1 - 2

:guybrush:
  • edited April 2011
    1. Terrible.
    2. Horrible.

I kid. I kid.

I'll only mame him.

1. Hee!
    2. Ho!
    3. Ha!

I really did laugh. Three times. Like the Count from Sesame Street!
  • edited April 2011
    So how would rank Episodes 1-4 now?
  • edited April 2011
    I'm not sure where I'd rank four right now...don't get me wrong, I love it! But right now, I feel kinda bad that Marty's having to work at cross purposes with Doc. :(
Sign in to comment in this discussion.