Wouldn't it be cool?

edited April 2011 in Jurassic Park
If like in the novel, TellTale implimented the Infant Tyrannosaur that killed Regis?
Like perhaps show a charactor who stumbles upon the infant eating his corpse?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    If like in the novel, TellTale implimented the Infant Tyrannosaur that killed Regis?
    Like perhaps show a charactor who stumbles upon the infant eating his corpse?

While that would be cool, Telltale wasn't able to license the use of the novels. They only have the rights to the films.

Now that's not needless to say we won't stumble upon another dinosaur eating the corpse of a park employee or something though. It does appear that we will get a glimpse of what's left of Nedry.
  • edited April 2011
    I wonder how it is they are able to license the movies, but not the novels. You'd think since the novels were fully sold to Universal for the movies, that if you licensed the movies you'd get a two-fer on the source material as well. I know I've seen other JP games, comic books, etc. based on the movies that reference or contain element of the novels before.
  • edited April 2011
    I wonder how it is they are able to license the movies, but not the novels. You'd think since the novels were fully sold to Universal for the movies, that if you licensed the movies you'd get a two-fer on the source material as well. I know I've seen other JP games, comic books, etc. based on the movies that reference or contain element of the novels before.

Hard to say. Maybe Universal gave the rights back to the Chrichton family after his death, or it's possible that Universal didn't feel the novels were necessary to be part of the package deal when Telltale sought the rights to the game. Personally I'd love to see games based on the novels to give that familiar yet new feel to the story.
  • Sinaz20Sinaz20 Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2011
    It could just be that Universal only optioned the books for movies at the time, so the only IP they have to license on to videogames are the movies themselves.

They likely don't own all the rights to the book.
  • edited April 2011
    What Shinaz describes wouldn't surprise me. That's fairly common in the book->movie field of films. For example: Peter Jackson and Newline jointly own the Lord of the Rings as far as movie franchises go. The Tolkien estate owns the books. It's also how they were able to change from Newline for the coming Hobbit movies. The new company (can't remember who it is...I think Universal, but don't quote me on that) was going to have someone else direct and the I.P. owners on the Tolkien side said movie rights were contingent on Jackson directing.

Then you add in the added difficult layer for figuring these things out: IP rights revert after a period of time, and eventually go public domain and/or open to reserving rights if they don't have a production run every so often.
  • edited April 2011
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    It could just be that Universal only optioned the books for movies at the time, so the only IP they have to license on to videogames are the movies themselves.

They likely don't own all the rights to the book.

One thing I dont get about this. Where is the line drawn between what you get from the novels and your ideas? Do you sometimes go and say "You know what, this would be AWESOME!" before someone says "Sorry, its been done in the novels".

I mean certain concepts and events in the novel can be pretty broad and generic, I'm just worried how this can impact the story you guys want to tell due to seemingly petty restriction.
  • edited April 2011
    Bombillazo wrote: »
    One thing I dont get about this. Where is the line drawn between what you get from the novels and your ideas? Do you sometimes go and say "You know what, this would be AWESOME!" before someone says "Sorry, its been done in the novels".

I mean certain concepts and events in the novel can be pretty broad and generic, I'm just worried how this can impact the story you guys want to tell due to seemingly petty restriction.

Explain more?
  • edited April 2011
    Does this probably mean that EVERYTHING which isn't used in the movie but somehow in the novel is NOT LICENSED?

eg.: the raft-on-the-jungle-river scene.
    even if TELLTALE do not use Grant and the kids on the raft but instead somehow Harding or some other characters try to use the jungle river and ride in a raft...even if that is the case, it could be ILLEGAL because it's a novel-element which wasn't used in the movies and thus TTG do not have the rights to implement that?

or underground tunnels? or the safari hotel? is that movie or is it only novel canon? has the safari hotel to look different than it is described in the novels because it has only been mentionend in the movie-brochure but never been shown?

is a juvenile t-rex also novel-ized and thus not permitted to use?

what about the aviary itself? it appeared only in the novel....

maybe someone can clear some things up for me ;) thanks!
  • edited April 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    Does this probably mean that EVERYTHING which isn't used in the movie but somehow in the novel is NOT LICENSED?

eg.: the raft-on-the-jungle-river scene.
    even if TELLTALE do not use Grant and the kids on the raft but instead somehow Harding or some other characters try to use the jungle river and ride in a raft...even if that is the case, it could be ILLEGAL because it's a novel-element which wasn't used in the movies and thus TTG do not have the rights to implement that?

or underground tunnels? or the safari hotel? is that movie or is it only novel canon? has the safari hotel to look different than it is described in the novels because it has only been mentionend in the movie-brochure but never been shown?

is a juvenile t-rex also novel-ized and thus not permitted to use?

what about the aviary itself? it appeared only in the novel....

maybe someone can clear some things up for me ;) thanks!

My guess is that they can use Novel ideas.
    The JP license is prolly mainly to use the environment, Dinosaur models and sounds etc. Thats my guess though.
    edited April 2011
    We just can't go breaking movie canon by superseding it with novel canon because it has to fit the continuity of Universal's properties (except where artistic license is concerned... like Harding's mustache and pot belly.)

Like, we can't refer to
    Hammond being dead at the end of the original JP. We can't refer to Grant escaping the T-Rex under the waterfall. We can't refer to Tim being the older sibling.
    (spoilers for the benefit of first time novel readers.)

I think there's a bit of approval through Universal if we reference a neat idea in the novel that wasn't expressly rebuked by the movie. But we're trying to ignore the novel altogether except where we run into a technical plot point where we're like, "that science fact was never explained in the movie, but I know they touched on it in the books."
  • edited April 2011
    We just can't go breaking movie canon by superseding it with novel canon because it has to fit the continuity of Universal's properties (except where artistic license is concerned... like Harding's mustache and pot belly.)

Like, we can't refer to
    Hammond being dead at the end of the original JP. We can't refer to Grant escaping the T-Rex under the waterfall. We can't refer to Tim being the older sibling.

I think there's a bit of approval through Universal if we reference a neat idea in the novel that wasn't expressly rebuked by the movie. But we're trying to ignore the novel altogether except where we run into a technical plot point where we're like, "that science fact was never explained in the movie, but I know they touched on it in the books."

Okay in an interview though you mentioned (or a telltale worker) said that all the movie dinos will be their, along with a few the movie sorta overlooked (excluding troodon.)
    edited April 2011
    Okay in an interview though you mentioned (or a telltale worker) said that all the movie dinos will be their, along with a few the movie sorta overlooked (excluding troodon.)

...yes...?
  • edited April 2011
    ...yes...?

so isnt that more novel based?
    edited April 2011
    so isnt that more novel based?

How?

Michael Crichton didn't invent dinosaurs.
  • edited April 2011
    How?

Well no, what I mean is... nah nevermind, but I got a question for you.
    edited April 2011
    Well no, what I mean is... nah nevermind, but I got a question for you.

Lol-- What's the question??:confused:
  • edited April 2011
    I preordered the Game and the money is off my card, but it says i havnt baught it.
  • edited April 2011
    How?

I think what he's referring to is that the Jurassic Park novel had an exact list of what all dinosaurs were in Jurassic Park, as well as the numbers. Personally, I don't see the problem using that list since the movie specifically states that there are fifteen species on the island.
    edited April 2011
    I preordered the Game and the money is off my card, but it says i havnt baught it.
    Contact customer support.
  • edited April 2011

Like, we can't refer to

of course you can't refer to things that did not happen in the movie.
    but what about things that might haven taken place beside what we have seen?
    eg.:
    Harding using a raft on the jungle river?
    Or the existence of maintenance vehicles? A raptor nest? A juvenile T-Rex?
    Well of course it's important for an adventure game company to tell stories, to INVENT plots thus implementing own ideas is essential.
    But using clues from the novel wouldn't be a bad idea IF you are allowed and willing to do so.
  • edited April 2011
    How?

I'd lol @ that :D
  • edited April 2011
    I think what he's referring to is that the Jurassic Park novel had an exact list of what all dinosaurs were in Jurassic Park, as well as the numbers. Personally, I don't see the problem using that list since the movie specifically states that there are fifteen species on the island.

Except that the movie canon has a totally different list than than the novel.So the team cannot use random dinosaurs like Maiasaura and Euoplocephalus (of course I would love to see an ankylosaur in the game) Check out the original 15 embryos thread for more on this topic.
  • edited April 2011
    Except that the movie canon has a totally different list than than the novel.So the team cannot use random dinosaurs like Maiasaura and Euoplocephalus (of course I would love to see an ankylosaur in the game) Check out the original 15 embryos thread for more on this topic.
    i ,myself, don't have any problems if they add 30 dinosaurs in possible future games...it doesn't matter if there were only 15 original dinosaurs,they could expand anytime upon that and explain it however they see fit...but yeah if the game follows the timeline of the first movie they should stick to 15,but if they make one about the second or third movies they can add as many dinosaurs as they want,like we had the top secret spinosaurus in JP3....just saying.
    edited April 2011
    Some of you are missing the point here. Think about aspects of the story that would be explicitly contradictory between the movies and the books.

Sure the lists of dinosaurs are different from book to movie-- but in the movie, our only real indication of what dinosaurs are being genetically developed on Isla Nublar are the fleeting glimpses we get of Nedry stealing the embryos (correct me if I'm wrong.)

But JP II and III opens up the idea that more dinosaurs have been bred and released on Isla Sorna. By saying that there are a few other dinosaurs that didn't make the public list or didn't manage to get screen time in the movie, or by some other device were introduced to the island off camera, we aren't contradicting the film.

We have already decided to avoid the issue of contradicting character stories by basing the plot around another cast of characters dealing with the events of JP I from their own unique perspective.

We could certainly draw reference from the book. But when it comes down to an event that we saw transpire in the movie we cannot change that in favor of something that transpires in the book.
  • edited April 2011
    Really you are open to use any Dinosaur seen in the films or even mentioned.
    Right?
  • edited April 2011
    Some of you are missing the point here. Think about aspects of the story that would be explicitly contradictory between the movies and the books.

Sure the lists of dinosaurs are different from book to movie-- but in the movie, our only real indication of what dinosaurs are being genetically developed on Isla Nublar are the fleeting glimpses we get of Nedry stealing the embryos (correct me if I'm wrong.)
    We also learn about the dinosaurs from the brochure we see in the movie,and i would say it's more relevant than the embryo storage http://www.jplegacy.org/downloads/misc/jppropbrochure.pdf .
    And i agree if you guys make other games, based upon JP2 and/or JP3 ,you can introduce as many new dinosaurs as you see fit...diversity is always a good thing.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.