[Poker Night] Black Screen of Death

edited August 2011 in Game Support
Hey so I played for about 2 hours last night when I first downloaded it. This morning when I try to play again, I can see and hear the front page logo and then after that it just goes to a black screen of death. Anyone have a solution?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Are you sure you waited long enough for it to load? I know it can take a while (sometimes more than 30 seconds) to load the main menu on my computer.
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah. Yesterday when I played it only took a minute. Today I tried a couple times for more then 10 minutes each.
  • edited August 2011
    I've got the same problem as well. The game starts loading fine, but once it goes past the logo, it freezes.

Funny thing is, it worked back when I had it in full-screen mode, but when I changed it to windowed, it wouldn't work at all. And since the game won't start up anymore, I can't revert it back to full-screen mode. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it on Steam, but nothing seems to work.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Darsen wrote: »
    I've got the same problem as well. The game starts loading fine, but once it goes past the logo, it freezes.

Funny thing is, it worked back when I had it in full-screen mode, but when I changed it to windowed, it wouldn't work at all. And since the game won't start up anymore, I can't revert it back to full-screen mode. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it on Steam, but nothing seems to work.

You can try pressing Alt-Enter as soon as the game window opens. It should switch it back to full-screen mode.
    If that doesn't work, you can try deleting the prefs.prop in your "...\Documents\Telltale Games\Poker Night at the Inventory" folder. The exact location may vary.

As for the underlying cause, a dxdiag log might be useful.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited August 2011
    Well, I got it back to full-screen, but it still doesn't want to cooperate. The dxdiag is attached.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Driver Date/Size: 6/12/2008 22:37:32, 536576 bytes

Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    Date and Size: 4/9/2008 22:00:04, 2095512 bytes

Intel chipsets are often problematic with TTG games, but you can try if updating your drivers helps.
    You can try installing the latest Graphics driver.
    I would update the sound driver too.
  • edited August 2011
    I tried to install the graphics driver update, but it said that it wasn't validated for my computer. Apparently, my Toshiba laptop has some sort of custom graphics driver.

EDIT: Well, I updated my sound, and the game does seem to work. It's incredibly choppy, but it lets me get through a tournament so that's good enough for me.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Darsen wrote: »
    Well, I updated my sound, and the game does seem to work. It's incredibly choppy, but it lets me get through a tournament so that's good enough for me.

That's a good start. Try lowering the graphics quality setting to 1 and disabling anti-aliasing and shadows.

If you still want the latest Intel Graphics driver, you should be able to install it manually at your own risk.
    You can download the zipped driver here, and install it by following these installation steps.
This discussion has been closed.