Deconstruction of nublar: film or novel cannon

edited April 2011 in Jurassic Park
ok i read the novel and it said the island was bombed as the ingen chopper took off.. This did not happen in the movie, i also noticed universal cut out the board room scene where ludlow talks about the nublar deconstruction briefly in TLW, so technically the island was never destroyed in the movie cannon....right? which opens up for a possible film on nublar again?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    It's debatable, but I'd count it as movie canon.
  • edited April 2011
    I'd like to consider the deleted scene to be canon, as opposed to an alternate scene that some movies have, but that is open to argument.
  • edited April 2011
    I consider that scene, even though deleted, to be cannon. But like the others said it's open for debate. I think that even though we don't see the scene in the actual movie there's enough there to basicly hint that the meeting went on.
  • edited April 2011
    ok so everyone knows the scene im talking about? i was hoping they left nublar intact as well, the dinosaurs were breeding there too so an ecosystem could sprout.. the fact that they didnt add either nublar being destroyed or the meeting i think sort of hints that they wanted the island intact but im not sure... perhaps we will find out at the end of Jurassic park episode 5.
  • edited April 2011
    I like to think Isla Nublar was raided and dismantled, as per the deleted scene and the ending of the novel, but that not all the dinosaurs were destroyed ("Something has survived"), and by now there are healthy populations living in equilibrium. "Life finds a way."

As a side, it's always bugged me how The Lost World movie used the "Something has survived" tagline from the novel. It made sense for the book, because the island and the dinosaurs were destroyed at the end of the first novel. But that didn't happen in the first movie, so there was no reason to think anything other than the island was just abandoned and the dinosaurs were left to live in peace.
  • edited April 2011
    I like to think Isla Nublar was raided and dismantled, as per the deleted scene and the ending of the novel, but that not all the dinosaurs were destroyed ("Something has survived"), and by now there are healthy populations living in equilibrium. "Life finds a way."

I absolutely agree with that. There were probably some smaller animals like Compys, Dilophosaurus, or juvinile Raptors that could have easily been in hiding during the deconstruction process and they are now surviving on their own. But that may only give enough material for a "Monster Quest" style of movie, which may be better set in the Costa Rican jungle.
  • edited April 2011
    As a side, it's always bugged me how The Lost World movie used the "Something has survived" tagline from the novel. It made sense for the book, because the island and the dinosaurs were destroyed at the end of the first novel. But that didn't happen in the first movie, so there was no reason to think anything other than the island was just abandoned and the dinosaurs were left to live in peace.

absolutely agree!!!
    "Something survived" was a very thrilling phrase concerning the novel.
    Simply because Jurassic Park ended with a bombed Isla Nublar.
    They only guess was Marty Guitierrez' state that there were animals in the Costa Rican jungle which moved like the raptors did on the beach - like migratory birds.

But the movie just ended with an abandoned Isla Nublar. Okay, the missing of lysine could've resulted in the death of the dinosaurs but basically the audience thought that the animals were just roaming around freely on Isla Nublar. Thus "Something survived" didn't sound as thrilling as in the novel at all!
  • edited April 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    They only guess was Marty Guitierrez' state that there were animals in the Costa Rican jungle which moved like the raptors did on the beach - like migratory birds.

I loved that ending in the book. It would be great to see that expanded upon in the future.
  • edited April 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    absolutely agree!!!

But the movie just ended with an abandoned Isla Nublar. Okay, the missing of lysine could've resulted in the death of the dinosaurs but basically the audience thought that the animals were just roaming around freely on Isla Nublar. Thus "Something survived" didn't sound as thrilling as in the novel at all!

i think when they made the tag line they were reffering to the lycene contigency, arnold said they would die without lycene implying the dinos died after the island was abandond for a week... TLW shows that this was not the case...for most likley both islands. and if isla nublar were bombed after grant and the group left then wouldnt the survivors (harding, jessi, bill yoder, etc die in the bombing?) i honestly think the bombing and deconstruction was removed from movie cannon. but i dunno
  • edited April 2011
    Well even in the 3rd movie there was a slight mention of Nublar. "So wait there are two islands with dinosaurs on them?"

Also when Grant was answering questions at the end of his lecture someone mentioned "..until they figure out what to do with that other island (being Sorna) which implies something was done to Nublar.

I dont see any reason why Nublar would be dismantled yet let "Site B" just decay. The animals were lysine contingent, there isn't anything you can cover up by destroying the island. I mean come on. That park had to have had hundreds of employees, building contractors, genetic engineers, share holders - and plus your CLONING DINOSAURS - the public is going to know about it.

Destroying the island would be a waste of money.

And there is no such thing as a Costa Rican Air Force.
  • edited April 2011
    Well even in the 3rd movie there was a slight mention of Nublar. "So wait there are two islands with dinosaurs on them?"

I feel like that was a very vague mention of Nublar by someone who cleary had little knowledge of either island.
    Also when Grant was answering questions at the end of his lecture someone mentioned "..until they figure out what to do with that other island (being Sorna) which implies something was done to Nublar.

I agree that this is implying that something may have been done to dismantle Nublar.
    I dont see any reason why Nublar would be dismantled yet let "Site B" just decay. The animals were lysine contingent, there isn't anything you can cover up by destroying the island. I mean come on. That park had to have had hundreds of employees, building contractors, genetic engineers, share holders - and plus your CLONING DINOSAURS - the public is going to know about it.

I don't think it was a matter of covering things up so much as it was a case of destroying a threat. Once the Costa Rican or US government saw how dangerous the animals were, they probably view them as an unnatural threat to civilization, and want to eliminate them. I agree that they probably would have destroyed Site B also, but maybe InGen still had strong physical control over it at the time.

Here's a thought... If Universal decides to incorporate the deleted scenes into the Blu-ray release of TLW, does that make it officially canon?
  • edited April 2011
    trocks wrote: »
    I feel like that was a very vague mention of Nublar by someone who cleary had little knowledge of either island.

I agree that this is implying that something may have been done to dismantle Nublar.

I don't think it was a matter of covering things up so much as it was a case of destroying a threat. Once the Costa Rican or US government saw how dangerous the animals were, they probably view them as an unnatural threat to civilization, and want to eliminate them. I agree that they probably would have destroyed Site B also, but maybe InGen still had strong physical control over it at the time.

Here's a thought... If Universal decides to incorporate the deleted scenes into the Blu-ray release of TLW, does that make it officially canon?

GAHHH mind F**** now im confused....

its like in terminator salvation: if world was nuked by skynet...nukes make massive emps...which would have killed skynet and all machines.... now tell me thats not confusing...
  • edited April 2011
    SWGNATE wrote: »

its like in terminator salvation: if world was nuked by skynet...nukes make massive emps...which would have killed skynet and all machines.... now tell me thats not confusing...

now i need to know if it was or not...i wonder if the help desk at universal takes those questions..... lol
  • edited April 2011
    SWGNATE wrote: »

That just made my head explode.:mad:
  • edited April 2011
    I would imagine that Nublar was destroyed after the movie, like it was at the end of the book. If not by the Costa Rican Army, then by mercs hired by the board of InGen in an attempt to hide the snafus.

As for keeping everyone quiet, it's not addressed in the movies other than mentioning non-disclosure agreements, but in the novels everything was compartmentalized so that outside contractors wouldn't know what was going on. For example, they probably put out a call for someone to design an electric fence that can carry a charge of x volts, is x feet tall, and can withstand x force and put in an order somewhere else for the materials to build it, and had someone else build the fences. It mentions something like this when it's explaining why Nedry is so ticked at having to fix things. They basically gave him a core system to build and said things like "we need a generic output module" and a generic module that reserves "3x10^9 fields" for data access and writing. They never told him what it was for and never told him what the subsystems would be, then had someone else program other modules with more detailed focus, so he was mad that they were on his case about there being boatloads of bugs. Basically only the Tican workmen (probably also under an ND) and the Park staff knew what was going on.

As for Skynet...The world-wide network that gets set up by the virus version in 3 would've been toasted, but given its core was in an electronic warfare facility, I would imagine that it was EMP shielded (such things do exist IRL). Plus it was out in the middle of nowhere and had used the machines on station to kill all the personnel. It could've fired nukes in a pattern to avoid its core. And given that it had infected the entire defense network of every country in the world, I would imagine that it survived remotely at the hardened command installations in each country (e.g. NORAD in the USA, Kremlin bunker in Russia).
  • edited April 2011

Essentially, the Costa Rican government was concerned about disease from the dinosaurs spreading the human population (not to mention the dinosaurs themselves escaping the island) and scaring off tourists and hurting their economy. They didn't want to rely on the lysene contingency, so they took matters into their own hands (and yes the Costa Rican Air Force was a bit of a creative liberty on Crichton's part). The reason Site B was left to decay was that it's existence was a closely guarded corporate secret and it is implied that even the C.R. government was unaware of the facility's existence (or at least unaware that there were dinosaurs on the island). In other words, if we assume that the bombing of Nublar is canon (I like to think that it is) then you have to understand that the fictional Costa Rican Air Force would have bombed Sorna as well if they knew it was there.
  • edited April 2011
    "Film canon" aside - why would you make a movie about an amusement park island with dinosaurs on it - go four years with people anticipating more of an amusement park island with dinosaurs on it and make a movie on another island. Because Crichton got greedy (not that there's a problem with that) and wrote another book on another island - really just because he blew the other one up. The dinosaurs are cool. The dinosaurs on an amusement park island is better. I want to see the rides. I want to see what happened to a place that as a kid I fell in love with. Everyone has their Star Wars and unfortunately I got my Star Wars prequels with some other island I have no reason to care about.

And I'm not trying to start a thread on Star Wars prequels I'm just trying to make a point.
  • edited April 2011
    Jason4x4 wrote: »
    Essentially, the Costa Rican government was concerned about disease from the dinosaurs spreading the human population (not to mention the dinosaurs themselves escaping the island) and scaring off tourists and hurting their economy. They didn't want to rely on the lysene contingency, so they took matters into their own hands (and yes the Costa Rican Air Force was a bit of a creative liberty on Crichton's part). The reason Site B was left to decay was that it's existence was a closely guarded corporate secret and it is implied that even the C.R. government was unaware of the facility's existence (or at least unaware that there were dinosaurs on the island). In other words, if we assume that the bombing of Nublar is canon (I like to think that it is) then you have to understand that the fictional Costa Rican Air Force would have bombed Sorna as well if they knew it was there.

ya see.. thats the closure im talking about, if sorna wasnt bombed (in the movie) then nublar stll has a dino population as per film cannon. and i did hear mention of a comic to replace the terrible jurassic park redemption series involving a drug cartel on nublar among dinosaurs and some cia agent. so i think that may have solved it. personally i think the next movie should be about ingen's last effort at survival. recovered documents from isla nublar computer hard drives show evidence of nedry's involvement with biosyn. ingen finds this information, presents it to the U.S supreme court Biosyn pays ingen astronomical royalties (therefore bailing out the company) and then something along the lines of ingen capturing nublar's dinosaurs while reconstruction of jurassic park on nublar commences (making required changes, being less dependant on automation) and such jurassic park opens, while explaining a common ground between man and nature, jurassic park is a huge success and then boom series ends on epic note... the end
Sign in to comment in this discussion.