Is there a way to lose at this game?

I've noticed there are no points accumulated and the options always lead you to the same conclusion. There doesn't seem to be a way to lose this game. Am I missing something or is this more of a video than a game?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    No, you can't lose. However, while BttF could certainly afford to be better in the interactivity department, the inability to lose by itself isn't a problem.

Most of the classic LucasArts adventure games (Sam and Max Hit the Road, Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, et cetera) had it so it was impossible to die or enter unwinnable situations, believing that adventure gamers shouldn't be punished for exploring (as opposed to the sadistic but equally valid "Sierra-style" of adventure gaming, where doing even the slightest thing you're not supposed to will almost always kill you or render the game unwinnable). That's not to say LucasArts-style adventure games can't be hard, mind you, but you'll always be able to solve a puzzle at your own leisure.

Most of Telltale's games have followed this trend as well (although it seems like they're starting to stray from it. Jurassic Park will feature deaths).
  • edited April 2011
    No, you can't lose. However, while BttF could certainly afford to be better in the interactivity department, the inability to lose by itself isn't a problem.

Most of the classic LucasArts adventure games (Sam and Max Hit the Road, Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, et cetera) had it so it was impossible to die or enter unwinnable situations, believing that adventure gamers shouldn't be punished for exploring (as opposed to the sadistic but equally valid "Sierra-style" of adventure gaming, where doing even the slightest thing you're not supposed to will almost always kill you or render the game unwinnable). That's not to say LucasArts-style adventure games can't be hard, mind you, but you'll always be able to solve a puzzle at your own leisure.

Most of Telltale's games have followed this trend as well (although it seems like they're starting to stray from it. Jurassic Park will feature deaths).

Yeah, even the 2nd episode of Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse, you could die...but since it was on a projector, you just rewinds and try it again. Actually, Jurasic Park kinda does that to, you die then just back up and try it again.
  • edited April 2011
    I know that it's not within Telltale's style to have you die in the games but I think it would be pretty neat to have a 'game over' sequence if you messsed up on one of the more important 'puzzles' such as
    Emmett's rocket fuel, rescuing Doc from Kid's van, the final confrontation with Kid in 'Get Tannen' etc.

One of my most prominant memories from my younger years was playing 'Donkey Kong Country' and dying constantly. Why? Because I had this screen to greet me every time that happened.

topsong02.jpg

Game over screens/sequences do add to the overall game but in the case of 'Back to the Future' or any of Telltale's other games, for that matter, it's not a major complaint that I have.

I do not have any qualms about the direction that Telltale took and I'm enjoying the game regardless of the inability to die.

In a nutshell, as the other members have mentioned, there is a linear plot to the game and you can not die.
  • edited April 2011
    This thread. I like it.
  • edited April 2011
    Give up, you'll never win!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.